THE PARTY OF LIFE EMBRACES TRUMP'S GDP DEATH CULT

THE PARTY OF LIFE EMBRACES TRUMP'S GDP DEATH CULT

Leave a comment to auto-join group Down With Trump

Down With Trump

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

THE PARTY OF LIFE EMBRACES TRUMP'S GDP DEATH CULT

Matt Lewis - The Daily Beast

In the last 24 hours, it has become clear that, despite warnings from experts like Dr. Fauci, Donald Trump is willing to sacrifice lives to try and save the economy and his chances for re-election. The amazing thing is that some of his prominent supporters are starting to say the silent part out loud. Consider the comments of Wisconsin Senator Ron Johnson, who, a few days ago, said, “We don’t shut down our economy because tens of thousands of people die on the highways. It’s a risk we accept so we can move about. We don’t shut down our economies because tens of thousands of people die from the common flu.”

In other words, we take inherent risks all the time. Why should a global pandemic be any different? Johnson went on to add that “getting coronavirus is not a death sentence except for maybe no more than 3.4 percent of our population, (and) I think probably far less.”When I signed up to be a columnist, I was told there’d be no math. Still, I’m pretty sure Johnson just said he was comfortable with millions of Americans dying of coronavirus—so long as it doesn’t disrupt economic activity. Even if you accept that those millions of deaths, and the burden placed on our hospitals leading up to them, wouldn’t disrupt economic activity, is this the rhetoric of a man who believes that every life is precious? Is this the rhetoric of a man who believes in the dignity of human life? It sure doesn’t sound like it to me.

Trump echoed this ends-justify-the-means logic Monday night and the ghoulish and utilitarian worldview that defines one death as a tragedy, 100,000 as a statistic. This logic is spreading among Republicans. Consider the comments Texas Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick made Monday night on Fox News: “No one reached out to me and said as a senior citizen, are you willing to take a chance on your survival in exchange for keeping the America that all America loves for your children and grandchildren. And if that’s the exchange, I’m all in.”He went on to add, “I feel like as the president said, the mortality rate is so low, do we have to shut down the whole country for this? I think we can get back to work.” I’m old enough to remember when conservatives worried that Obamacare rationing would lead to “death panels” whereby older patients would be deemed too sick and expensive to help. After all, why throw good money after bad?

A few short years later, and it is Republicans who are making a shockingly similar rationalization. IkPatrick might be willing to be collateral damage, but I’m not sure everyone over the age of 70 will be so eager to sacrifice their lives on the altar of the stock market—nor am I sure their loved ones would approve of a government willing to sacrifice the lives of our most weak and vulnerable for (I suppose) the greater good of the fatherland. These are, after all, our moms and dads, aunts and uncles, friends, and grandparents he’s talking about. But I guess you’ve got to break a few eggs to make an omelet. Maybe the old and the weak should make room so that the young and virile can thrive? This is a weird turn of events for the party of life.

Look, I get the need for economic activity, and it’s fair to suggest that economic considerations (which, let’s be honest, can and do impact our health), should be part of the discussion. Unfortunately, we have skipped over that nuanced discussion and gone straight to Republicans rationalizing the idea that we can just wipe out a million or so people to fix the economy. There has long been a tension between capitalism and cultural conservatism. At its worst, fiscal conservatives are accused of practicing a sort of social Darwinism that encourages a “survival of the fittest” worldview. And at their best, social conservatives have advocated the dignity of human life. These things are sometimes at odds. But rarely have these “cultural contradictions of capitalism” been more clearly at odds than this debate. And guess which side is going to win?

Ultimately, we have a political party that has shown its true colors. Look no further than its standard-bearer. Consider his selfish motivations and petty behavior. Consider his long-held worldview that sees some people as genetic winners and some people as losers. This is a man who responded to a pandemic by thinking, “How can I be on TV more?” It’s truly depraved. If human life and GDP become mutually exclusive for a pandemic-stricken America, which one do you think he’s going to choose? I think we already know the answer to that one.

JohnRussell
1  seeder  JohnRussell    5 days ago

There are actually folks going on their social media today and proclaiming that people who are old and have pre-existing conditions should be allowed to die in order to "protect" the economy.  This is a thing.

The "irony" is that many of these same people are first in line to promote "right to life".

Greg Jones
1.1  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @1    4 days ago

I remember Democrat Governor of Colorado Dick Lamm saying the same thing some years ago.

Why do you put so much stock in the ignorant opinions of biased left wingers.

JohnRussell
1.1.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1    4 days ago

How do you reconcile "right to life" (anti-abortion) with the idea that the old or sick should maybe die so as to help the economy?

In many cases the same people will say both.

JohnRussell
2  seeder  JohnRussell    5 days ago

Texas Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick says a failing economy is worse than coronavirus

Texas Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick told Fox News that he would rather perish from the new coronavirus than see the economy destroyed by overreaction to the disease.
Author:   The Texas Tribune
Published:   6:54 AM CDT March 24, 2020
Updated:   7:08 AM CDT March 24, 2020
AUSTIN, Texas — Texas Lt. Gov.  Dan Patrick , chiming in to support President Donald Trump's new focus on the economy over fierce warnings from public health officials, suggested on Fox News on Monday night that he would rather die from the rapid spread of the novel coronavirus than see instability in the American economic system.

"No one reached out to me and said, 'As a senior citizen, are you willing to take a chance on your survival in exchange for keeping the America that all America loves for your children and grandchildren?' And if that's the exchange, I'm all in," he said. "And that doesn't make me noble or brave or anything like that.

"I just think there are lots of grandparents out there in this country like me ... that what we all care about and what we all love more than anything are those children," he added. "And I want to, you know, live smart and see through this, but I don't want to see the whole country to be sacrificed, and that's what I see."

Patrick is 69, an age that statistically puts him at a higher risk for fatal consequences from the virus. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention warns that people with lung disease, asthma, heart issues, compromised immune systems, obesity, diabetes and liver disease are also at a higher risk of severe complications from the virus. Trump administration officials have also pressed younger Americans to take the virus seriously.

Patrick's point of view is directly at odds with the messaging of many public health officials, most prominently Trump administration official Dr. Anthony Fauci. Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, is one of the chief public advocates for social distancing.

3  Trout Giggles    4 days ago

Do these people understand that it's about reducing the burden on our medical system. Yes...we know a majority of Americans will get this. Many of them will be mild cases and won't require hospital treatment. BUT...there are the elderly and the immunosuppressed that are highly susceptible to the pneumonia this virus causes. We certainly have quite a few elderly in our country. I don't want my elderly friends to die just because the hospitals are full and there are no ventilators available.

It's about slowing the spread of the virus! Have they forgotten the phrase of last week "flatten the curve"? Do they even know what that means?????

ok....jumping off my soap box

pat wilson
4  pat wilson    4 days ago

Eerily reminiscent of what Alan Grayson said in 2009 "If you get sick, America, the Republican health care plan is this: Die quickly,".

5  Perrie Halpern R.A.    4 days ago

Well, I am a fiscal conservative, and I don't believe that the market trumps the American public. Even my governor addressed that this morning. We are going to have to find ways to manage both the economy and the market. But it can't be at the cost of our citizens.

JohnRussell
5.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @5    4 days ago

Normally, what you say here would be obvious. but we have a president who cares more about his re-election than he cares about the welfare of a mass of people he doesnt know. That doesnt mean he wants anyone to die, it means he doesnt care.

He wants the country "re-opened" by Easter (said to reporters today).  Easter is 19 days from now.

Who among Trump's advisers will convince him this is a bad idea?  Which ones will even try? Are any GOP senators or congressmen going to openly defy Trump about this?

Trump's way is to play down anything he doesnt like.  Even yesterday, on the day of the most coronavirus deaths in the US so far, he was suggesting that the worst is behind us.  He has no factual basis for saying this, but it is what he wants to believe so he works it into his comments.

What happened to the idea that we need to "lock down"?   It was 8 days ago Trump said this was a good idea.  Did he think it will all go away in 8 days? Maybe, he believes in magical thinking.

Veronica
6  Veronica    4 days ago

Thinning the herd. I admit I hate that some people want to put the economy in a place above productive members of society as my daughter.  She suffers from an autoimmune disorder, she works, pays taxes and pays for her health insurance, but there are some people out there that think their precious $$ should come ahead of her.  What happened to the "right to life" people?  Oh that's right my daughter is already born and is not important.

Veronica
7  Veronica    4 days ago

Also are these not the same people that keep telling us that we should all save enough to weather through any catastrophe?  I guess that only applies to the working class not the wealthy and businesses in general....

JohnRussell
7.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Veronica @7    4 days ago

Good point Veronica.

MUVA
7.1.1  MUVA  replied to  JohnRussell @7.1    4 days ago

[deleted]

freepress
8  freepress    4 days ago

Where are all these "pro-life" people advocating for pregnant women who may be exposed to the virus. Why aren't they outraged about the fact that the federal government that Trump is in charge of, refuses to ramp up aid to hard hit states? They are accusing state governors of issues when many states have done more locally than the government Trump is supposed to be leading.

Old Hermit