Kathleen

Things we should know more about.

By:  Kathleen  •  Vacations  •  4 weeks ago  •  18 comments

Things we should know more about.

I noticed this list in the Quad and I thought it should be mentioned for all to see.

This list are things we have to deal with on a daily basis. Some of these things we touch lightly on or hardly know anything about it at all. It would be nice to put some of these courses in high school and make some mandatory.

Which ones are you fully confident in? Meaning you know everything about it.

1. Nutrition

10. Local Government

11. Negotiating

12. Social Media Safety

13. Stress Management

14. Survival Skills

15. Taxes

No politics or religion please and play nice.

Thank you.

Article is Locked

Find text within the comments Find

Kathleen
1  author  Kathleen    4 weeks ago

For me... honestly, I have to say that even though I know ‘some’ of the things from each category on this list. I do not know enough.

Basic cooking would be the only thing I would feel confident in saying I know a lot about.

WallyW
1.1  WallyW  replied to  Kathleen @1    4 weeks ago

I know a little bit about a lot of things, but way more about cabbages than kings.

Sparty On
2  Sparty On    4 weeks ago
1. Nutrition

Very knowledgeable about it .... now following it well is another story.

2. Automobile Maintenance

Used to be but i admit, i look under the hood of these new vehicles and i'm lost

3. Budgeting

Never had a problem scrimping to save.   A lost art in todays world

4. Basic Cooking

Boil hot dogs. mac and cheese, onion sandwiches, eggs to order. put together a mean pot of chili .... check jrSmiley_9_smiley_image.gif

5. Credit

See #3 above.   I am the king of the zero balance and max credit rating.

6. First Aid

Medic/first aid trained although i've let my certifications lapse

7. Etiquette

Could probably use some work here but i try

8. Household Repairs

I can do it all ..... just don't be in a hurry.

9. Insurance

As little as possible ..... what a scam.

10. Local Government

Served as Township Trustee for 12 years, on a couple boards now

11. Negotiating

Well that depends on what you're talking about negotiating.   I win a lot at work but lose regularly at home.

12. Social Media Safety

I don't do Twitter or Facebook .... i rest my case

13. Stress Management

Not too good right now but working on it.

14. Survival Skills

Check

15. Taxes

As few as possible please .....

Kathleen
2.1  author  Kathleen  replied to  Sparty On @2    4 weeks ago

Hey... I like all those things you can cook, the onion sandwich I am not sure.. : )

Sparty On
2.1.1  Sparty On  replied to  Kathleen @2.1    4 weeks ago

Lol, i threw that in there because that is about all my Dad could do.   The few times mom wasn't around and he was in charge of food that was his specialty.   He would have starved without her.

That said, if you like onion, try it.   Especially with a nice sweet Vidalia.   It's not bad.

Kathleen
2.1.2  author  Kathleen  replied to  Sparty On @2.1.1    4 weeks ago

Ha! I know someone else in my family that would starve..

I do like onions so I will give it a try.

r.t..b...
3  r.t..b...    4 weeks ago

from the  seed:  "Which ones are you fully confident in? Meaning you know everything about it."

Confident enough to make an ass out of myself on every one of them, best intentions aside. But self-aware enough to know I'll never know everything about anything. But I can cook, I handle stress pretty well, and I'd like to think I understand the basics of etiquette. So take that as invite, Kathleen and all our NT friends, and we'll enjoy what would be a most interesting evening getting to know one another. Fun exercise.

Kathleen
3.1  author  Kathleen  replied to  r.t..b... @3    4 weeks ago

I think this would be very interesting what NT knows if they decide to post. : )

igknorantzrulz
3.1.1  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Kathleen @3.1    4 weeks ago

Nice distractive non-stress exercise

but since i no everything about absolutely nothing till i return, i'll take a pass till i return,

but from your list, etiquette would be my forte, improper of course, but what can i say

that isn't semi offensive to someone in some way everyday, but rarely meant, but my frustration with witch ignorance, can influence my driving direction, for now,

u fine posters indulge

i'm gonna trek down Fun Tix

Tacos!
4  Tacos!    4 weeks ago

1. I've learned quite a bit lately and lost a lot of weight. I've also learned that government nutrition guidelines have a very poor track record.

2. I can maintain or even repair many minor things on a car. Years ago, I had to learn how to do brakes on a Corvette, so I have that skill if you need it.

3. I can budget, but I have a wife so I don't have to.

4. I'm a fairly skilled cook.

5. Credit? See #3.

6. Certified in First Aid and CPR.

7. Do I know where the forks go? Yeah, I actually do. When I was in 4th grade, we had a lady come in and teach etiquette for an hour a week. I'll never remember her name. We just called her Miss Etiquette.

8. I can do a lot of household repairs, although complicated power switches and running wires through walls are where I start to look for professional help.

9. I buy the cheapest insurance I think I absolutely must have.

10. I've had to work both with and for local government in varying capacities.

11. Negotiating is a central part of my job. And raising kids.

12. I have FB, but I'm rarely on it. I refuse to let my kids anywhere near social media.

13. Exercise and Bourbon.

14. I can kill what I need to eat.

15. Thank God for TurboTax.

Krishna
4.1  Krishna  replied to  Tacos! @4    4 weeks ago
3. I can budget, but I have a wife so I don't have to.

That reminds me of a (humorous?) T-shirt I saw on Amazon.com:

Sparty On
4.1.1  Sparty On  replied to  Krishna @4.1    4 weeks ago

Gawd .... ain't that a universal truth!

Tacos!
4.1.2  Tacos!  replied to  Krishna @4.1    4 weeks ago

Ha! In my house, she can be holding a computer in her hand and ask me some obviously Googleable question.

Still, I try to be a respectful husband, so if I don't know the answer, I do promise I will look it up when I get the chance.

JaneDoe
4.1.3  JaneDoe  replied to  Sparty On @4.1.1    4 weeks ago

It is pretty accurate. 😁

Kathleen
5  author  Kathleen    4 weeks ago

I like your answer to number 3 and 13.

luther28
6  luther28    4 weeks ago

In this day and age the nutrition thing can boggle the mind from time to time. One day it is proclaimed that something is good for the body human, two weeks later they tell us it will kill us.

Eggs are a good example of this, they've flipped (no pun there) on this so many times I've lost track.

As to the others, my understanding has gotten me to this age so I suppose my knowledge limits are enough to survive more or less :)

Kathleen
6.1  author  Kathleen  replied to  luther28 @6    4 weeks ago

You are so right about them switching what is bad for you and what is not. That’s good, just enough to get you through life.

Tacos!
6.2  Tacos!  replied to  luther28 @6    4 weeks ago

For years, they have been telling us to avoid fat. It seems like common sense. Eating fat makes people fat, right? That's how we got a big pile of bread at the base of the food pyramid. So guess what I did every night for years? Bread with dinner, and dinner probably had rice, too.

Turns out, you'll put on more fat consuming carbs than eating fats. So, we made some changes and lost a bunch of weight.