Kathleen

Christmas morning when you were a child....

By:  Kathleen  •  Vacations  •  4 months ago  •  42 comments

Christmas morning when you were a child....

Everyone has their traditions when it comes to Christmas. I can remember my sister and I getting up really early at the crack of dawn and running down stairs to see what we got. My parents were still sleeping. They did not care when we got up to do it. One year my dad must of got up real early and he was waiting for us with a camera. Just that once though. They were all unwrapped except for one gift for my sister and I, that one was from my parents not santa.  Now my husbands family, him and his sister had to wait until the parents got up. They were not allowed to open anything until they were all there. Sometimes they had to wait a hour or two. He said he can remember waiting at the top of the stairs and it was so hard. Plus you had to open each present at a time so everyone could see what it was. It was fun when you were a kid.....  lets bring that back.

Tell us about your memories as a child Christmas morning.

No politics or religion please.

Kathleen
PhD Principal
1  author  Kathleen    4 months ago

Good Morning...

Just Jim NC TttH
Junior Expert
3  Just Jim NC TttH    4 months ago

Good morning Kathleen. Nice post.

When I was a kid, we got up early, naturally, and we were "allowed" to get our Christmas stockings and take them to our room(s) to examine the goodies. Had to wait for the parents before the gifts were passed out (we used to take turns) to their recipient to open them. One brother and two sisters. My brother, rest his soul, and I were only 13 months apart in age and when one of us opened a gift, there was an 80% chance that what he got, I got and vice versa. Such great memories.

Kathleen
PhD Principal
3.1  author  Kathleen  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @3    4 months ago

It was fun being a kid Christmas morning wasn't it?  That's funny you both got the same thing.

zuksam
Sophomore Silent
3.1.1  zuksam  replied to  Kathleen @3.1    4 months ago

I had two friends Roger and Jimmy who were brothers and they always had two of everything, it was probably the only way to prevent fights and it still didn't always work.

Just Jim NC TttH
Junior Expert
3.1.2  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  zuksam @3.1.1    4 months ago

Agreed LOL. I think that was the method to the madness

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4  Vic Eldred    4 months ago

I remember the Christmas dinner always used to be a roast, well done. As far as the children and gifts - ya, that's front & center.

Snuffy
Sophomore Participates
6  Snuffy    4 months ago

Ah,  Christmas memories as a child.....  My family when I was younger opened presents on Christmas Eve. We would gather with grandparents from both sides for dinner and dinner was always served on the good china (for the adults that is). After dinner the table would need to be cleared and the dishes washed. As the good china was used, the adults would have to hand-wash the china and silverware and put it all away. The time waiting for them to finish cleaning the kitchen was always months long.....

When they were done they would come out to the living room and sit down to "recover" from the ordeal of cleaning with a glass of wine while the children said waiting some more.  I wouldn't say we waited quietly, but we knew better than to get too loud...  oy.    Finally  (it was really only 10 minutes or so but to a child waiting to open presents it was just forever) the approval was given. As I was the eldest boy child it was my job to pull a present out from the tree, read the tag and deliver to the proper person. Once all the packages were delivered we could open our presents. I can remember spreading my sister's presents around while trying to stack mine up so that it appears that I got more than she did..  ahhh, good times as a child.

Then on Christmas morning we would race down to see what Santa left us. We knew that the Christmas Eve presents came from mom & dad. Santa's presents were always unwrapped but with a tag to identify which child got what. That way mom & dad could sleep in as they wished without having whining children at their door...   hehe

Kathleen
PhD Principal
6.1  author  Kathleen  replied to  Snuffy @6    4 months ago

Really nice memories Snuffy..

Sunshine
Senior Guide
7  Sunshine    4 months ago

I asked my kids to wake me up if they woke up before me on Christmas morning.  I let them open presents as fast as they could, but they had to slow down a bit to take turns.  Then I would cook a huge Christmas breakfast.  Great memories.

Kathleen
PhD Principal
7.1  author  Kathleen  replied to  Sunshine @7    4 months ago

That sounds really nice Sunshine.

JaneDoe
Sophomore Silent
8  JaneDoe    4 months ago

Well there were 5 kids in my family so Christmas morning was very exciting. Whoever woke up first got everyone else up. Then we would go tell our parents that Santa came and they would get up with us. After presents we kids would play and Mom was off to the kitchen to make her famous ham and potato salad.
Throughout the day we would have company. Grandma, Aunts, uncles, cousins. It seemed everyone would stop by at some point. Very fond memories.

Kathleen
PhD Principal
8.1  author  Kathleen  replied to  JaneDoe @8    4 months ago

It was so much fun being a kid.. lol

My dad would put the Christmas music on and after we were done seeing what we all got my mom would make a nice breakfast. My dad would leave to pick up Granny and some of the relatives would drop by later.

JaneDoe
Sophomore Silent
8.1.1  JaneDoe  replied to  Kathleen @8.1    4 months ago
It was so much fun being a kid.

Yes it was. The carefree days of youth. Loved it.

PhD Guide
9  Paula Bartholomew    4 months ago

I remember one year when there were only two gifts that I wanted, a Buck Knife and a stop watch.

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Sophomore Principal
10  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)    4 months ago

Before my parents split up, I was the only child and I always got one big present and several little things. Anything that Santa brought was not wrapped and was fully assembled so I could play while my parents still slept [ if they slept longer than me]. **remember, I have hypersomnia; therefore, I usually slept longer than most kids, even on Christmas morning. I used to get so excited the night before though, that it was pretty traditional that I would throw up before I went to bed. jrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gif

One year, I got a yellow remote controlled Barbie Vette [still have it] and a couple new Barbies to go with it [still have those too]. Another year it was a Barbie Dream House with a couple Barbies. The house was cardboard, so it's not around anymore, but I have all of the accessories still!

Once my parents split up, I had stepbrothers that would wake me up. We were allowed to go through our stockings and wait for our parents to get up. One year, my stepbrothers were yelling about me not being up by 9am. Not like we still believed in Santa.

I always got bikes, big-wheels, and other outdoor toys [with exception of a sled] on Easter because my birthday is only a few weeks after Christmas and we live in MI.

Kathleen
PhD Principal
10.1  author  Kathleen  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @10    4 months ago

Ha.. we both got Barbie's. I got an easy bake oven but the dog peed on it so I didn't want to use it anymore jrSmiley_4_smiley_image.png

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Sophomore Principal
10.1.1  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Kathleen @10.1    4 months ago

My mom is allergic to anything with fur, so we didn't have pets. I just baked with my mom, so I never had a need for an Easy Bake Oven.

PhD Guide
10.1.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Kathleen @10.1    4 months ago

My mom gave me a barbie doll once.  I ripped her head off and gave it to the neighbor's dog to play with.  I also took one of the legs and slipped in under the marshmallows in her jello mold for her bridge club.

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Sophomore Principal
10.1.3  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @10.1.2    4 months ago

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

PhD Guide
10.1.4  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @10.1.3    4 months ago

The irony is that if I had kept that doll, it would be worth a lot of money now.

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Sophomore Principal
10.1.5  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @10.1.4    4 months ago

Isn't that how it goes?

Kathleen
PhD Principal
10.1.6  author  Kathleen  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @10.1.2    4 months ago

jrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gif

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Sophomore Principal
11  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)    4 months ago

OH! I usually got a sticker book and stickers as one of my smaller gifts [along with other coloring books and new crayons]... well, one year my grandpa [who looked like an angry Santa naturally jrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gif ] fell asleep on the couch and I proceeded to stick the stickers all over his face and glasses. jrSmiley_91_smiley_image.gif

My grandpa in the early 1990s sometime.

Kathleen
PhD Principal
11.1  author  Kathleen  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @11    4 months ago

Nice pic..  He is looking like " you better not stick any of those stickers on me"  jrSmiley_4_smiley_image.png

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Sophomore Principal
11.1.1  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Kathleen @11.1    4 months ago

He always looked like that. jrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gif That's what I call "resting dick face"... my husband has that look all the time too.

When I told someone that I worked with at an auto parts store, "Look out for my grandpa please. He's supposed to be coming in for a new battery. He looks like an angry Santa." The kid said, "What? You're full of crap. I'll let you know when he gets here though." When he got there, the kid came back to me and said, "Oh my God... you're right... he looks like an angry Santa. I thought you were fucking with me." jrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gif

Kathleen
PhD Principal
11.1.2  author  Kathleen  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @11.1.1    4 months ago

jrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gif

PhD Guide
12  Paula Bartholomew    4 months ago

Every year my father and I had a gag gift competition with the family picking the winner.  One year, I was convinced that this time it was in the bag with my gift.  I told no one what it was because of loose lips.  Only my husband knew because it was too big to wrap.  The time came to revel the gifts.  Mine was in my sister's garage and my father kept his in a back bedroom.  The entire room erupted in laughter when the both of us emerged with 6 foot inflatable Godzillas.  It was like great minds, although warped, think alike.

Kathleen
PhD Principal
12.1  author  Kathleen  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @12    4 months ago

I like that idea!  You both thought of the same thing and a gag gift at that.