Report: Most Americans Have Fewer Than 5 Hobbies Saved For Retirement

Via:  Nerm_L  •  4 months ago  •  14 comments

Report: Most Americans Have Fewer Than 5 Hobbies Saved For Retirement

Sponsored by group News Viners

News Viners

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

WASHINGTON—Encouraging those in their twenties to invest their time into extra leisure activities such as bocce ball every month, a new report revealed Tuesday that a majority of Americans have fewer than five hobbies saved up for retirement. “After working life ends, an individual needs, on average, 10 hobbies to live comfortably and meaningfully. However, according to our findings, roughly two-thirds of all U.S. citizens reach age 65 with only gardening, basic woodworking, and card games to fill their hours,” said lead researcher Robert Wallach, noting that many retirees find themselves exhausting the potential of their activities within the first five years, ultimately making do with walks in the park, stilted phone calls to friends, and miscellaneous unguided puttering. “Unfortunately, what happens is that young people tend to overestimate their side-interest-management skills while simultaneously underestimating their importance, and as a result are left with barely anything to do in their golden years beyond reading. This is, of course, nowhere near enough for the average American to get by on, which is why we recommend putting your resources into, say, fishing and painting as early as possible.” The report also suggested that retirees often found themselves in short supply of hobbies due in part to the American tendency to blow through everything they deem interesting during their twenties and thirties.

Find text within the comments Find

Nerm_L
1  seeder  Nerm_L    4 months ago

Another thing to worry about?

It Is ME
1.1  It Is ME  replied to  Nerm_L @1    4 months ago
Another thing to worry about?

Worry Seems to be the best Hobby to have. It NEVER stops for some, so it MUST BE GREAT !

Freefaller
1.2  Freefaller  replied to  Nerm_L @1    4 months ago
Another thing to worry about?

Not for me it isn't.

Sparty On
2  Sparty On    4 months ago

Surprising .... as i can hardly wait.

The only problem i'll have is which hobby to pick.

†hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh
3  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh    4 months ago

I go to the gym

Train Brazilain Jiu Jitsu

Ride a motorcycle

Mountain bike

Take recreational drugs while engaging in kinky bedroom sports.

I'm Ready

Not enough hobbies, ok repeat 5 a few more times.

Sparty On
3.1  Sparty On  replied to  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh @3    4 months ago
Train Brazilain Jiu Jitsu

Careful now, i know Kung Fu, Tai Chi and few other Chinese words ...

The Magic Eight Ball
4  The Magic Eight Ball    4 months ago

I only saved up one hobby for retirement.

learning to play guitars - 6 string and bass

I reckon that one is big enough. I'm not likely to master that any time soon.

I still surf most every day but that is not actually a hobby.  just life.

†hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh
4.1  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh  replied to  The Magic Eight Ball @4    4 months ago

How's that going, can you play Smoke on the Water yet?

The Magic Eight Ball
4.1.1  The Magic Eight Ball  replied to  †hε pε⊕pレε'š ƒïšh @4.1    3 months ago
can you play Smoke on the Water yet?

nope, maybe one day.

of all the songs I have learned so far this is actually one of my fav things to play -   I have this nailed on both guitars.  took about 3 yrs practice to be able to say that.

good fun :)

Sparty On
4.2  Sparty On  replied to  The Magic Eight Ball @4    4 months ago

I aspire to a few more once i get there:

- slow driving tactics to piss off my fellow motorists

- causing trouble at the grocery store check out lane complaining about what frozen peas cost these days

- getting one of those yippy dogs to yip at all my neighbors

- training for the walker Olympics

- walker tuning for walker athletes

Thats five, so i should be good to go with the other regulars ones

Freefaller
4.2.1  Freefaller  replied to  Sparty On @4.2    4 months ago

Since you'll already be there can I recommend taking up paying for your groceries with a cheque or with cash using the smallest change you have available.

Sparty On
4.2.2  Sparty On  replied to  Freefaller @4.2.1    3 months ago

Good idea.

Think i'll get one of those little change purses so i can count out the exact change, one penny at a time.

Thats number six ..... only four more to go to get to the Onion approved 10.

katrix
4.3  katrix  replied to  The Magic Eight Ball @4    4 months ago
learning to play guitars - 6 string and bass

My mom played banjo for years.   Once she got old, she remarked that if she had thought about how heavy a banjo is, she would have taken up mandolin instead.  As long as you don't need to haul amps around, you should be good with guitars (although by then, amps will probably be tiny anyway, so it won't matter).

The Magic Eight Ball
4.3.1  The Magic Eight Ball  replied to  katrix @4.3    3 months ago

I never would have imagined a banjo was such a burden.

honestly, never picked one up yet.     but if I ever do, I will be sure to lift with my knees.

cheers :)