╌>

About Flameaway.....He needs our help.

Category:  Other

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  11 years ago  •  96 comments

About Flameaway.....He needs our help.

Dear NT members,

To those of you who are friends or friendenemiesof Flame, Flame has found himself in some trouble. He had gone to pick up his belongings and on the way home, his car broke down. When the police came, they ran a "routine" check on him, and found out that there was an outstanding warrant inMissouri for not registering as a sex offender. They feel that he was trying to evade the truth.This is something that we all know isn't true, since he has been very forthcoming about being a convicted felon for rape. That he has served his time and has been very forthright about both his crime and his regret.

The issue is that he didn't realize that he had to report in as a sex offender, since the laws vary from state to state, and he had done his time and was paroled. He didn't realize that Missouri was a Megan's Law state, and he had to register, even though his crime did not involve a child.His parole officer is aware of the situation and is trying to help to resolve this problem.

The reason I am writing this is because he needs our membership to speak out for him, as best as they can, about his honesty about being a rapist, his regret, and anything else that would show that he wasn't trying to hide the fact that he had done this crime.

Please be kind enough to tell the DA's office inMissouri that in no way, did Flame every try to cover up the fact that he is a felon who committed rape, and actually was very forthcoming about his crime.

Please, if you are going to participate in this article, stay on topic, but be honest.

Thank you!

Perrie Halpern

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     11 years ago

Perrie, if we are going to contact the Missouri DA, it will require that we have Flames real name.

Anyone that is going to contact the DA, you could send a email to that person with his name.

Also is this a local jurisdiction or the Attoney General of MO?

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah    11 years ago

I don't know that drawing LE's attention to Flame's on-line comments would be helpful for him. In the process of confirming that Flame has made no attempt to attempt to hide his past transgressions, it could also be surmised that he doesn't have the highest of opinions for LE in general. Hope it works out for him though.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.    11 years ago

Hal,

Is LE law enforcement? The issue isn't his opinon about law enforcement, but rather if he was forthcoming about his crime.

Kavika
Professor Principal

Law Enforcement

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Kavika,

You are right. . We are trying to find out which is the exact office in MO that Flame will be dealing with. Right now, the point is that he was never trying to cover up his crime and that he was remorseful.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide

I understand that, but I think Flame would be the first to admit that law enforcement is frequentlyguilty of allowing their actions to beinfluenced bywhat they feel about the opinions of those who they are dealing with.

FlameawayFriend
Freshman Silent
link   FlameawayFriend    11 years ago
Thanks Perrie for your help and everyone else.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

BF,

Thank you for your comment. I forgot to mention that he had talked openly about his life on Newsvine, too.

I had thought about the paypal idea, too. I just didn't want people to feel obligated. If others express an interest, I will be glad to do so.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Hal,

Yes he would, but right now, the issue is was he forthcoming, which we all know he was, and then some.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

No problem Laney. That is what being a member of a community is about.

FlameawayFriend
Freshman Silent
That is a great idea Badfish, speaking as his wife. We have very little money to pay a lawyer.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
link   1stwarrior    11 years ago

It's a great idea - one that should have no problem drawing from the community.

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
link   Larry Hampton    11 years ago

Whatever I can do to help. We're behind ya Flamey!

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    11 years ago

Please do set up a paypal account, so that we can all help flame and Laney! Thanks! Smile.gif

FlameawayFriend
Freshman Silent

Raven I will make sure knows of your support and I am working on getting an attorney or at least a public defender. I will make sure that the information supporting character gets to the defending attorney. Thank you for your concern and good wishes.

FlameawayFriend
Freshman Silent
Thank you Dowser, please send him good thoughts, I will make sure he knows of your support.

sixpick
Professor Quiet
link   sixpick    11 years ago

I think if everyone wrote a letter and explained how Flame (use his real name) taught us how a person could change their lives and was upfront with everyone it would be beneficial.

The only problem with that is they usually like to have a letter that has been notarized. That's not a really big problem if each of us takes the time to write the letter, stop by a bank, have it notarized, put it in an enveloped with a stamp and send it to Laney.

That is one of the best things to have is support from as many people as you can for the judge to see. The fact that he didn't know he had to do it is not an acceptable excuse unfortunately. The fact someone may have been holding his mail if it can be proven could be beneficial, but still not an acceptable excuse for not making sure he was following the laws of the state he was convicted in.

FlameawayFriend
Freshman Silent
Thank you Raven, very well said. He is a good man, and very worthy of his freedom. We appreciate your support.

FlameawayFriend
Freshman Silent
Thank you Sixpence, the notarized letter is a great idea, vouching for his character.

FlameawayFriend
Freshman Silent
Sorry Sixpick! ;)

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   A. Macarthur    11 years ago

A better way to help may be to set up a paypal account and aid in his defense if needed.

I must agree with BF; although we "know" Flameaway," we only know him in cyberspace. I certainly trust him and take him at his word, but the ultimate reality is, to serve as "character witnesses," we may be vulnerable to possible embarrassment or worse.

I certainly will contribute to a Paypal account but Flameaway must be the one to set it up (either himself or via a legal proxy).

FlameawayFriend
Freshman Silent
I think that is a great idea to have his lawyer set up the Paypal, this way everything is transparent. And I understand your hesitation about knowing someone virtually. Thank you so much for contributing this idea! I have been wondering how the process needs to go.

FlameawayFriend
Freshman Silent

The warrant was from the state of Missouri Kavika. I am assuming the attorney general.....but not sure....I know I should be more educated about all of this....but it was'ntva big part of my reality with . It is a part of him, but not a big part of how I experienced who he was.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

I certainly trust him and take him at his word, but the ultimate reality is, to serve as "character witnesses," we may be vulnerable to possible embarrassment or worse.

Mac,

The only thing that you have to say, is that Pat has been nothing but forthright about his crime and his regret as expressed here.

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent
link   Petey Coober    11 years ago

I expect it would help if one added links to such comments .

Enoch
Masters Quiet
link   Enoch    11 years ago

Kindly have his attorney contact me for a positive character reference.

I will be happy to send a notarized letter directly to his legal representative.

Enoch.

sixpick
Professor Quiet

Yes A Mac. I thought about my suggestion and it dawned on me people are no going to want to step out on a limb or divulge information or they would have already. I agree with you on this.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

Perrie,

"Trust but verify."

Speaking from my years of experience of representing individuals, I know whereof I speak.

I'm more than willing to help but let Flame's counsel determine the strategies and logistics.

What we "know" is "a priori" -- making a definitive statement based on that is speculative and possibly untenable if challenged.

Let's send money and be supportive but on a personal level.

FlameawayFriend
Freshman Silent
I think I remember your story, Flameaway shared it with me. You sound calmer now. I hope whatever it was that caused you such pain, it is far from your current life. Everyone has their own truth and experiences. I wish you peace and healing.

FlameawayFriend
Freshman Silent
I know this is a long shot....but did anyone print a hard copy of the original articles that Patrick wrote, either from here or Newsvine?

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide

This is how I learned about flameaway's past, quite a while ago.

FlameawayFriend
Freshman Silent
Thank you so much Hal. I am so glad you knew where this was. I was sad that Patrick had deleted the original articles.I don't think it was to hide the truth, but because he was going through a time of doubting his worth, contributions, etc.....One day when our son is old enough I had wanted him to have these writings, so that he could read with his own eyes, the depth at which Patrick has searched his soul, been remorseful, and tried in his own way to make a difference. So, thank you again for finding this. I think it may help his current case.

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
link   Dean Moriarty    11 years ago

Additional writings of his can be found here.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Same here!

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide

Glad to help. I think your husband is a good man, and one of the more important contributors to this site. Anyone can spout opinions, but bearing your soul takes strength ... even if he is a bit on the esoteric side. ;)

FlameawayFriend
Freshman Silent
Thank you Dean, yeah happy to know this was not all missing in cyber space. Thank you!

FlameawayFriend
Freshman Silent

Thank you, Badfish. I will get a call from today, and let him know of everyone's support and help. I already know how grateful he will be.

sixpick
Professor Quiet

I think something we should remember here is Flame has already been convicted and served his time, plus served an extensive parole without any problems, so all that is in the past and over. His situation today is he didn't register as required and that is the reason he is in this situation and has nothing to do with the crime, no more than the young fellow who was charged with possession of a small amount of pot who died in the county jail from some sort of allergy who failed to appear in court. He wasn't in jail for the pot possession, but for failing to appear in court. The pot arrest had nothing to do with the fact they put him in jail.

It could have been a misunderstanding between Flame and his parole officer when he went off parole or Flame could have figured I'm never going back in that state. It doesn't matter. His crime at this time is he didn't comply with the requirement of registering as the state he was convicted in required him to do. Now if the parole officer is willing to work with him and his record for over the last 10 plus years of not getting into any trouble will speak highly in his defense. But to continue to defend or condemn him for the crime he was convicted of and served time for is not the issue here and I find to be maybe enlightening to many, which is a good thing, but is no different than the pot smoker who failed to make his court date. Believe me the court will put your butt in jail if you don't comply or miss your court date in most instances. Laney just has to keep someone, Perrie informed of his situation and as we can see most of us are willing to donate to help once we know the situation a little better anonymously.

In my first comment I talked of a letter notarized and later it dawned on me that wouldn't work as each person would have to divulge information I'm sure many wouldn't want to do. I agreed with A Mac the best thing is to be informed as to the situation and do what we can to help him. I know he is going through hell right now and his original crime, which he has already served his time for is not what has my attention.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

I trust Flameaway more than I trust the way an antagonistic interrogator might question how character references based on a priori knowledge could be reliable.

Having said that, if Flameaway's counsel specifically asks for such references, that's a different scenario.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide

I tend toagree. One's personal social media postings, offered under their true name and photo,might garner a little more credibility -but to the outsider, NT and NVmight seem as anentirely anonymous collection of thoughts. Giving postings in this forum too muchcredibility might backfire.

FlameawayFriend
Freshman Silent
Here is a posting with his real name, thay Dean found the link to.

FlameawayFriend
Freshman Silent
I will let him know Rescue. How wonderful that your father left such a long lasting legacy. It is a testament that we all matter, and our lives are connected.

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent
link   Jerry Verlinger    11 years ago

It's really good of you to reach out this way way to help a member of the NT community, kudos to you for this Perrie.

I've had many heated discussions with flame, he and I agree on nothing, but the guy's in a jam, he's a member of our little club here, and I feel bad that he's in trouble.

Is flame being held in custody pending extradition toMissouri, is he already in MO and if so, does he need bail? Either way, he definitely needs a lawyer and Public Defenders do not always provideadequate representation.

We can't set up a PayPal account through his lawyer until he has a lawyer, even if he has a lawyer, they usually need money up front to take a case.

IMO, the best thing to do about a PayPal account is to have his wife set it up, or set one up through NT and forward the $ to his lawyer, whichever is easier.

As far as letters of support are concerned, I suppose they would be of some help, but Mac is is right, the best way to handle that is to send them to his attorney and let him decide how he wants to use them. But they should be written none the less.

Chloe
Freshman Silent
link   Chloe    11 years ago

I am reluctant of using Paypal and sending money, but I would like you to know, Laney, that I have a special regard for Flame about his open and honest approach over the years on the Vine. If there was a way I could verbally support him as a 'character witness' without putting myself in a position of being under any type of scrutiny or monitoring, wire-tapping and such [and I know they do that], I would.

Btw, nice to meet you [under these adverse conditions].

Best regards to you both.

Kavika
Professor Principal

Perrie, if we are going to contact the Missouri DA, it will require that we have Flames real name.

Anyone that is going to contact the DA, you could send a email to that person with his name.

Also is this a local jurisdiction or the Attoney General of MO?

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide

I don't know that drawing LE's attention to Flame's on-line comments would be helpful for him. In the process of confirming that Flame has made no attempt to attempt to hide his past transgressions, it could also be surmised that he doesn't have the highest of opinions for LE in general. Hope it works out for him though.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Hal,

Is LE law enforcement? The issue isn't his opinon about law enforcement, but rather if he was forthcoming about his crime.

Kavika
Professor Principal

Law Enforcement

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Kavika,

You are right. . We are trying to find out which is the exact office in MO that Flame will be dealing with. Right now, the point is that he was never trying to cover up his crime and that he was remorseful.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide

I understand that, but I think Flame would be the first to admit that law enforcement is frequentlyguilty of allowing their actions to beinfluenced bywhat they feel about the opinions of those who they are dealing with.

FlameawayFriend
Freshman Silent
Thanks Perrie for your help and everyone else.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

BF,

Thank you for your comment. I forgot to mention that he had talked openly about his life on Newsvine, too.

I had thought about the paypal idea, too. I just didn't want people to feel obligated. If others express an interest, I will be glad to do so.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Hal,

Yes he would, but right now, the issue is was he forthcoming, which we all know he was, and then some.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

No problem Laney. That is what being a member of a community is about.

FlameawayFriend
Freshman Silent
That is a great idea Badfish, speaking as his wife. We have very little money to pay a lawyer.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
link   1stwarrior    11 years ago

It's a great idea - one that should have no problem drawing from the community.

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
link   Larry Hampton    11 years ago

Whatever I can do to help. We're behind ya Flamey!

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Please do set up a paypal account, so that we can all help flame and Laney! Thanks! Smile.gif

FlameawayFriend
Freshman Silent

Raven I will make sure knows of your support and I am working on getting an attorney or at least a public defender. I will make sure that the information supporting character gets to the defending attorney. Thank you for your concern and good wishes.

FlameawayFriend
Freshman Silent
Thank you Dowser, please send him good thoughts, I will make sure he knows of your support.

sixpick
Professor Quiet

I think if everyone wrote a letter and explained how Flame (use his real name) taught us how a person could change their lives and was upfront with everyone it would be beneficial.

The only problem with that is they usually like to have a letter that has been notarized. That's not a really big problem if each of us takes the time to write the letter, stop by a bank, have it notarized, put it in an enveloped with a stamp and send it to Laney.

That is one of the best things to have is support from as many people as you can for the judge to see. The fact that he didn't know he had to do it is not an acceptable excuse unfortunately. The fact someone may have been holding his mail if it can be proven could be beneficial, but still not an acceptable excuse for not making sure he was following the laws of the state he was convicted in.

FlameawayFriend
Freshman Silent
Thank you Raven, very well said. He is a good man, and very worthy of his freedom. We appreciate your support.

FlameawayFriend
Freshman Silent
Thank you Sixpence, the notarized letter is a great idea, vouching for his character.

FlameawayFriend
Freshman Silent
Sorry Sixpick! ;)

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

A better way to help may be to set up a paypal account and aid in his defense if needed.

I must agree with BF; although we "know" Flameaway," we only know him in cyberspace. I certainly trust him and take him at his word, but the ultimate reality is, to serve as "character witnesses," we may be vulnerable to possible embarrassment or worse.

I certainly will contribute to a Paypal account but Flameaway must be the one to set it up (either himself or via a legal proxy).

FlameawayFriend
Freshman Silent
I think that is a great idea to have his lawyer set up the Paypal, this way everything is transparent. And I understand your hesitation about knowing someone virtually. Thank you so much for contributing this idea! I have been wondering how the process needs to go.

FlameawayFriend
Freshman Silent

The warrant was from the state of Missouri Kavika. I am assuming the attorney general.....but not sure....I know I should be more educated about all of this....but it was'ntva big part of my reality with . It is a part of him, but not a big part of how I experienced who he was.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

I certainly trust him and take him at his word, but the ultimate reality is, to serve as "character witnesses," we may be vulnerable to possible embarrassment or worse.

Mac,

The only thing that you have to say, is that Pat has been nothing but forthright about his crime and his regret as expressed here.

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent
link   Petey Coober    11 years ago

I expect it would help if one added links to such comments .

Enoch
Masters Quiet
link   Enoch    11 years ago

Kindly have his attorney contact me for a positive character reference.

I will be happy to send a notarized letter directly to his legal representative.

Enoch.

sixpick
Professor Quiet

Yes A Mac. I thought about my suggestion and it dawned on me people are no going to want to step out on a limb or divulge information or they would have already. I agree with you on this.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

Perrie,

"Trust but verify."

Speaking from my years of experience of representing individuals, I know whereof I speak.

I'm more than willing to help but let Flame's counsel determine the strategies and logistics.

What we "know" is "a priori" -- making a definitive statement based on that is speculative and possibly untenable if challenged.

Let's send money and be supportive but on a personal level.

FlameawayFriend
Freshman Silent
I think I remember your story, Flameaway shared it with me. You sound calmer now. I hope whatever it was that caused you such pain, it is far from your current life. Everyone has their own truth and experiences. I wish you peace and healing.

FlameawayFriend
Freshman Silent
I know this is a long shot....but did anyone print a hard copy of the original articles that Patrick wrote, either from here or Newsvine?

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide

This is how I learned about flameaway's past, quite a while ago.

FlameawayFriend
Freshman Silent
Thank you so much Hal. I am so glad you knew where this was. I was sad that Patrick had deleted the original articles.I don't think it was to hide the truth, but because he was going through a time of doubting his worth, contributions, etc.....One day when our son is old enough I had wanted him to have these writings, so that he could read with his own eyes, the depth at which Patrick has searched his soul, been remorseful, and tried in his own way to make a difference. So, thank you again for finding this. I think it may help his current case.

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
link   Dean Moriarty    11 years ago

Additional writings of his can be found here.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Same here!

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide

Glad to help. I think your husband is a good man, and one of the more important contributors to this site. Anyone can spout opinions, but bearing your soul takes strength ... even if he is a bit on the esoteric side. ;)

FlameawayFriend
Freshman Silent
Thank you Dean, yeah happy to know this was not all missing in cyber space. Thank you!

FlameawayFriend
Freshman Silent

Thank you, Badfish. I will get a call from today, and let him know of everyone's support and help. I already know how grateful he will be.

sixpick
Professor Quiet

I think something we should remember here is Flame has already been convicted and served his time, plus served an extensive parole without any problems, so all that is in the past and over. His situation today is he didn't register as required and that is the reason he is in this situation and has nothing to do with the crime, no more than the young fellow who was charged with possession of a small amount of pot who died in the county jail from some sort of allergy who failed to appear in court. He wasn't in jail for the pot possession, but for failing to appear in court. The pot arrest had nothing to do with the fact they put him in jail.

It could have been a misunderstanding between Flame and his parole officer when he went off parole or Flame could have figured I'm never going back in that state. It doesn't matter. His crime at this time is he didn't comply with the requirement of registering as the state he was convicted in required him to do. Now if the parole officer is willing to work with him and his record for over the last 10 plus years of not getting into any trouble will speak highly in his defense. But to continue to defend or condemn him for the crime he was convicted of and served time for is not the issue here and I find to be maybe enlightening to many, which is a good thing, but is no different than the pot smoker who failed to make his court date. Believe me the court will put your butt in jail if you don't comply or miss your court date in most instances. Laney just has to keep someone, Perrie informed of his situation and as we can see most of us are willing to donate to help once we know the situation a little better anonymously.

In my first comment I talked of a letter notarized and later it dawned on me that wouldn't work as each person would have to divulge information I'm sure many wouldn't want to do. I agreed with A Mac the best thing is to be informed as to the situation and do what we can to help him. I know he is going through hell right now and his original crime, which he has already served his time for is not what has my attention.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

I trust Flameaway more than I trust the way an antagonistic interrogator might question how character references based on a priori knowledge could be reliable.

Having said that, if Flameaway's counsel specifically asks for such references, that's a different scenario.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide

I tend toagree. One's personal social media postings, offered under their true name and photo,might garner a little more credibility -but to the outsider, NT and NVmight seem as anentirely anonymous collection of thoughts. Giving postings in this forum too muchcredibility might backfire.

FlameawayFriend
Freshman Silent
Here is a posting with his real name, thay Dean found the link to.

FlameawayFriend
Freshman Silent
I will let him know Rescue. How wonderful that your father left such a long lasting legacy. It is a testament that we all matter, and our lives are connected.

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent
link   Jerry Verlinger    11 years ago

It's really good of you to reach out this way way to help a member of the NT community, kudos to you for this Perrie.

I've had many heated discussions with flame, he and I agree on nothing, but the guy's in a jam, he's a member of our little club here, and I feel bad that he's in trouble.

Is flame being held in custody pending extradition toMissouri, is he already in MO and if so, does he need bail? Either way, he definitely needs a lawyer and Public Defenders do not always provideadequate representation.

We can't set up a PayPal account through his lawyer until he has a lawyer, even if he has a lawyer, they usually need money up front to take a case.

IMO, the best thing to do about a PayPal account is to have his wife set it up, or set one up through NT and forward the $ to his lawyer, whichever is easier.

As far as letters of support are concerned, I suppose they would be of some help, but Mac is is right, the best way to handle that is to send them to his attorney and let him decide how he wants to use them. But they should be written none the less.

Chloe
Freshman Silent
link   Chloe    11 years ago

I am reluctant of using Paypal and sending money, but I would like you to know, Laney, that I have a special regard for Flame about his open and honest approach over the years on the Vine. If there was a way I could verbally support him as a 'character witness' without putting myself in a position of being under any type of scrutiny or monitoring, wire-tapping and such [and I know they do that], I would.

Btw, nice to meet you [under these adverse conditions].

Best regards to you both.