╌>

Would Anyone Like to Read "The Birds", by Daphne du Maurier?

Category:  Other

Via:  dowser  •  11 years ago  •  31 comments

Would Anyone Like to Read "The Birds", by Daphne du Maurier?

7049_discussions.png We've all seen the movie, but what many of us don't know is that the book is even more chilling...

The Birds was a novelette, or a long short-story, written by Daphne du Maurier in the 1950s. I was unable to find my copy, and then, because it was only published in literary anthologies, along with other short stories, I was unable to locate any kind of copy to buy.

Well, I got to digging around and found my copy, in Bennet Cerf's Take Along Treasury . There are all kinds of wonderful stories in there-- some quite humorous, some quite bordering on terror, and some quite thought-provoking.

Anyway, if anyone would enjoy reading it, I thought I could type it into the computer and, fully attributed, post it in a blog. Just a note: The movie is NOTHING like the book, other than the basic premise. I think the book is a LOT scarier!

So, please, if you would like to read it-- a long short-story-- I am happy to type it in and present it to you in a blog.

Let me know, ok?

Thanks for coming by!

The blog posting is up! Sharing Great Out-of-Print Stories-- The Birds, Daphne du Maurier!

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   seeder  Dowser    11 years ago

Let me know if you are interested-- and I'll get out my copy and type it up!

Take care! Smile.gif

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     11 years ago

It sounds interesting Dowser. I'm not familiar with blogs, but would love to read the story.

Neetu2
Freshman Silent
link   Neetu2    11 years ago

I would love to, Dowsie! I used to read Daphne du Maurier a lot once aupon a time and I haven't seen the movie, but may have read the story. Can't remember it though.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.    11 years ago

I would love it Dowser. That is a lot of work.... for you though. How very kind of you to take on such a task!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.    11 years ago

We have private blogs on our homepages. One of the best and underused features of the site. The blogs are usually meant for stuff that we want to keep as archived material, and that can be syndicated to other sites. This way, NT provides for a free blog service to the entire internet for anything you are passionate about.

To you Kavika, it could be used as a way to educate people on Native Americans. You can chose to take comments or not. You can even save your work as you go along. The blogs do show on the left side of the homepage. Ning is developing a new platform, that will helpintegratethe blogs better into the site, so that more people here will see it and more people elsewhere can.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     11 years ago

Thanks for the info Perrie, I'll have to give it a go.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

To me, it's one of the scariest stories I've ever read! Smile.gif

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

I'll get to it, then! It may have to be in parts... Smile.gif

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

On a lot of articles, I've talked about how wonderful the story is, and since I couldn't find a copy-- well, it just seems like it should be shared. I have a lot of books that are out of print, now, but they are really good!

Stories by Will Cuppy, (who is a hoot!), Irwin S. Cobb, Isak Denison, Katherine Ann Porter, all of them long gone-- but literary giants of their time. As long as they're fully attributed, I can quote them, right? Smile.gif

Strangerthanfiction
Freshman Silent
link   Strangerthanfiction    11 years ago

I would totally love to read it. the movie scared the heck out of me as a kid!

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Wonderful! I'm typing away, and am on page 4... Smile.gif

If everyone likes this, I'll offer up more to select from! Perhaps, "Speaking of Operations..." by Irwin Cobb-- which is side-splitting funny!

LoneRanger01
Freshman Silent
link   LoneRanger01    11 years ago

Dowser,...like anything you write or publish,..I will always read it.....but in keeping with my smartass remarks,..24.gif 24.gif 24.gif ...I must say i see nothing scarey about the Birds,....according to this vodeo,...24.gif 24.gif 24.gif

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Well, I'm typing it out, and scared spitless... Smile.gif

Weird video, I like the music-- but Oh my!

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

All righty! I've proof read it twice, but you may notice some mistakes...

I hope you enjoy it! Look for:

Sharing Great Out-of-Print Stories -- The Birds, by Daphne du Maurier! Smile.gif

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

It is quoted, and fully attributed, the information available as to which book I'm typing from. In no way do I take any kind of authorship, and the book is out of print. So, it can't be purchased.

I don't know how else to do it. Smile.gif

Neetu2
Freshman Silent

The private blogs are a great feature, Perrie, and as you have rightly said, very underused!

pat wilson
Professor Participates
link   pat wilson    11 years ago

Hi Dowser! I'd like to read it. Where do I find it ?

Nevermind, I found itSmile.gif

Tex Stankley
Freshman Silent
link   Tex Stankley    11 years ago

I admit it. I'm a bone head.

Is this your blog here? How do I get to it? You know, I bookmarked your blog awhile back and then lost it.

Apropos that, when I was in my twenties my Paw gave me a home made key ring one Christmas. My birthday present. Anyhow, it was a flat cirlce of metal, painted bright orange and about a foot across. He'd lettered, I Never Ever Lose My Keys on both sides. What a card. I had it coming though. I'd locked my keys in my truck every single time I'd seen him for about two months.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Here Tex, follow this link!

The Birds

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Great! I'll put the link in the article! That will help! Smile.gif

Tex Stankley
Freshman Silent
link   Tex Stankley    11 years ago

Thank you kindly. I appreciate you.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

I appreciate you, too!

Love your story about the key ring! Smile.gif

Neetu2
Freshman Silent

Dowser, LR thinks he is scarier than the birds!

And I read the story and put a comment somewhere ---- where the heck did it go? The birds!!!!!

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

LOL, dearest Neetu! I saw your wonderful comment, and thanks! All that work benefited someone! Smile.gif

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Me too! I miss his fun challenges! Smile.gif

Merleliz
Freshman Silent
link   Merleliz    11 years ago
I'd love to! I haven't read that one in decades.I have Rebecca, of course, and The Scapegoat, The Flight of the Falcon, Jamaica Inn...but my absolute favorite of hers was The House On The Strand.Oh, and The Dumauriers...but that one is in paperback and falling apart from age and re-reading it 100 times...so it's stored in a box labelled "Too Tattered To Read, To Dearly Loved To Throw Away"!

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

I am so glad to see you!

If you follow the link above, you'll find the blog page-- I love this story-- and have read most of her other works... I've not read the House on the Strand. I'll have to look for that one!

MUCH love to you! Smile.gif

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Wow, Star, really? That's great!

You should help us to make better videos! how to's would be great!

The picture? The one of the birds on the jungle gym? They scare me to death! That movie scared me to death, but the story was utterly creepy/terrifying!

I love Hitchcock-- movies, his anthologies he used to publish, etc. He was past master of the scary!

Thanks so much for coming by! Next time I do a video, I'll not hesitate to ask for ideas! LOL! Smile.gif

and no, I won't pester you. Grin.gif

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

You mean Rebecca? Oh gosh, that is one of my favorites! Not one word is out of place-- not one word can be turned so that it doesn't "jive" with the ending.

WHEW! it was a page-turner, for sure! Smile.gif

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

I truly loved that book, and just read it again recently! It's a WOW book! Smile.gif