╌>

ODD, STRANGE JOBS AND THE WORKING LIFE, part 3

Category:  Other

Via:  leotie  •  11 years ago  •  8 comments

ODD, STRANGE JOBS AND THE WORKING LIFE, part 3

One of my jobs in Atlanta offered the chance to move to Arizona, so I jumped on that one in a hurry. We drove out there the three of us. It was me, a blinded veteran, a dwarf named Mickey and the blind man's guide dog. We stopped in Louisiana to have some minor work done on the van, and folks asked for our autograph! This shocked me somewhat as we are nowhere near famous or known all over the place. Come to find out, they thought we were with a circus in town!

We made it out to AZ with few problems, I had to drive the whole way. We tried with Mickey driving, but he had to stand up to driveand that mademe just a wee bit nervous. I LOVEDArizona, even the heat was ok to start with. It was kind of strange to be able to go out to the pool for tanning onChristmas day, but that soon passed. That was where I first found out about Piestewa Peak Park, formerly known as Squaw Peak. I never did like that name and am so glad to see it changed. Anyhow, when things got bad, or I had some thinking to do, I'd drive out there at night. There was one rock or mound, can't remember which, bit I would climb up there and just sit. I spent hours on that place, and somehow, it always felt peaceful and calm. I never ever had any thoughts about being bothered, was never afraid. I think I had some help from the spirits of the people that had gone on before me, and that felt so very good. I found more peace there than any other spot I've ever been to.

Things went bad with my two traveling mates, so I struck out on my own, and got another job working with plastics. This one was a wee bit different than the one in NC, this one blew up test tube sized pieces into 2 litter soda bottles. Minimum wages were climbing, and I sure didn't argue with that. I bought a Mazda with the rotary engine and I loved that car. When it needed an oil change,people tried to take advantage of the fact that I was a female, one poured oil from and empty can in there and damn near ruined the car. I took it to a small repair place that specialized in foreign cars, they got it all going for me.

I talked to the owner, Russ, about a job there as I liked messing around with working on cars and such, he did give me a job, but it was sitting behind a desk! That didn't suit me at all, so I started going into the shop and doing things in there. They put me to test driving the cars after they were repaired, so I got to cruise around Phoenix on some might fine cars, and thought I was hot shit indeed! When they found out I knew my way around engines and wasn't afraid to get my hands dirty, they gave me full reign in the shop. After a year or so working there, Russ offered to send me to France, all expenses paid, to study at the Citroen factory. Dumb ass me, I turned him down because I didn't want to fly over water! That still makes me proud that he even offered, though.

They asked me one time to take a VW bug over to another place to be painted, so off I went. When I got there, I was supposed to pick up another car to take back to the shop. While I was waiting, I met "Kachina Frank". He was well known around the area, a big old Indian. He walked up to me, grabbed me up and threw me over his shoulder, telling me I was HIS woman. I started screaming like a banshee, and one of the workers at the shop gothim to put me down.They told me he was harmless, but at the moment, I wasn't so sure. After I talked to some people about him, the next time I saw him, he invited me to his house. I got a coupleof friends to go with me, just in case.

When we walked in, I was speechless at what I saw! It was a virtual museum of artifacts, and absolutely stunning. I thought I had died and gone to heaven. Thoughts of Kachina Frank still run through my head these many years later.

On the weekends, I'd take about $50.00 and a bus ticket and run over to Vegas to spend a night or so, depending on how my money ran. On one of the trips, I met a security guard, and hung out with him for a bit. He introduced me to his kids, and one of his daughters bet me $25.00 I wouldn't marry him. I was on a stupid stage of my life where anyone bet me I wouldn't, IWOULD just to show them. Ten days after we said our "I DO's"he beat the living shit out of me, giving me a concussion and breaking a couple of ribs. It made me mad more than it hurt, and I went out to the car, got his pistol out, and went back in the apartment. When I got inside, I had the hammer cocked and my finger on the trigger. I put it right between his eyes and begged him to hit me again so I could kill him. He put his hands in the air and walked out with his son. I got in his car and drove to the airport.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Leotie
Freshman Silent
link   seeder  Leotie    11 years ago

It's not done yet. On my way to NY and driving a cab there.

Thank you so much for reading, I was afraid this would be boring, but I do swear every word of itis true!Grin.gif

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     11 years ago

What an adventure Leotie. I'm of to read the next part.

Leotie
Freshman Silent

Thank you, Kavika. You know without a doubt that I treasure your comments on what I write. I'm thinking about just doing one on the taxi tales from NY. Some were good, some were strange and one or two were downright scary.

I had a hard childhood, a downright vicious one if the truth be told with much physical and verbal abuse. But when I got out of that, I made up my mind I was going to live my life doing what interested me, and I did just that. I NEVER, EVER did anything illegal or immoral to support myself and I am proud of that! I've been poor much more than rich moneywise, but I consider myself rich with the experiences I've had.

Kavika
Professor Principal

I think you should do article on ''taxi tales''...I love to read it.

"I consider myself rich with the experiences I've had..'' You truly are a rich person Leotie.

Leotie
Freshman Silent

Kavika, I'll do it! You even gave me the name for it....."Taxi Tales"! Might do it tonight, if not, tomorrow.

Kavika
Professor Principal

Great!!!

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah    11 years ago

Note to self .... never marry someone to win a bet.

Leotie
Freshman Silent

I did some mighty foolish things when someone dared me to or said I wasn't woman enough. I got a tattoo on the bottom of my stomach because of that, and more. I don't do that anymore. If someone tells me something like that now, I tell them to do it first. That usually shuts them up. I don't mind having someone think I'm a chicken now.