╌>

LOUSY, LOUSY WEEKEND!

Category:  Other

Via:  leotie  •  11 years ago  •  44 comments

LOUSY, LOUSY WEEKEND!

I haven't been here for awhile. I did not run away, just the weekend of the 16th, I took a long, weekend walk through hell.

As some of you know, I have some health problems, neuropathy in the feet being one of them. I wasn't fortunate enough to have the kind that my feet are numb, mine feel like they are being held over, and pushed into a fire of broken glass and nails. There are times I can't walk, and times that when I do walk, I am crying from the pain. I take some pretty strong meds for it twice a day, then I have Norco for the breakthrough pain.

The weekend of the 16th was the time my insurance company picked to demand a statement from my Dr. that I did indeed need this particular drug. They wanted this Friday, Dr.'s office closed at noon that day. I had one last pill and took that Friday night. Saturday, the first half of the day was ok, then the pain set in. The breakthrough meds didn't help all that much, Sunday, it got even worse. Sunday, I realized that this neuropathy is extending itself into my lower legs. My little Phugsy stepped on my lower legs, and I screamed for about 3 minutes. I could not eat, sleep or smoke, just tossed and turned and prayed for death.

Monday, the other meds came in and by Tuesday night, it was better. Even so, I have been very slow and draggy this week, and haven't done much of anything except try to get what little sanity I have back. In any case, I'm here, and realizing how much I missed it.

I NEVER, EVER want to go through that again!

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Paul
Freshman Silent
link   Paul    11 years ago

6.gif Welcome back, my friend.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    11 years ago

I am so very sorry to hear this-- no one should have to be in so much pain!

Life seems to be getting even more difficult for all of us who need pain meds. I'm just so sorry-- I hope that you never ever have to go through this again!

Take care, dear Susan. Just rest and let your mind get over the shock. The shock of being in such pain is, in and of itself, bad for your poor body. I'm so very sorry!

6.gif

bluearcher
Freshman Silent
link   bluearcher    11 years ago

PMA...positive mental attitude.

Everyday above ground is a good day. And everyday your family has you around is a better day.

Wheel
Freshman Quiet
link   Wheel    11 years ago

This is messed up. You shouldn't have to put with crap like this. Frown.gif

Stephi Cantley
Freshman Silent
link   Stephi Cantley    11 years ago

Hugs and prayers for you, dear friend!!!!!!!Frown.gif

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.    11 years ago

I am so sorry that you had to suffer like that, Susan.

Pain makes a person tired... days of it very tired, so give yourself some time to get back to yourself.

What you should do is keep a small stash aside for such an emergency. Talk about this with your doctor. I have meds that I have to take daily and I have a weeks worth set aside for an emergency.

No one should have to be in this kind of pain ever!

Leotie
Freshman Silent
link   seeder  Leotie    11 years ago

Thank you, Paul. Like I said, I did pray for death a few times, it hurt that bad and then some. I'm hoping the worst of it is gone for now. It wasn't the first time that happened, but this mess has gone up my legs now.

Leotie
Freshman Silent

I do wish they would legalize pot for medicinal use here in this state. Even my Dr. tells me it would help more than the oxycontin I'm now taking. Even Marinol would, but NC is so bass ackwards at times.

Leotie
Freshman Silent

Bluearcher, I won't go below the ground. Going to be picked apart and studied by students, then cremated and scattered in the special garden there. But, I CAN tell you this....sometimes when the pain is just so bad, it will make you realize that if you were dead, you wouldn't feel that pain anymore.

I walked around on a broken leg for 4 days, I have a very high tolerance for pain, but that weekend was just horrible.

Disturbed Librarian
Freshman Silent
link   Disturbed Librarian    11 years ago

That sounds perfectly horrid. I hope you never have to go through that again.

The callousness of the insurance companies never ceases to amaze me. They have pulled that on my husband twice and his doctor just goes through the roof. He calls the insurance company, gives them what for and it makes no difference.

Have you ever considered acupuncture? I was going through a considerable amount of pain once with something that was un-fixable like yours and after a few weeks the paid left, never to return and that was 3 years ago.

Disturbed Librarian
Freshman Silent
link   Disturbed Librarian    11 years ago

From your lips to Gods ears, Susan. I live in Idaho and it's never going to happen here.

Summer
Freshman Silent
link   Summer    11 years ago

That sounds horrible!! I am so sorry that happened to you. I hope you don't have to go through that mess again!!

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     11 years ago

Very happy to have you back Susan. Is there anyway the doctor can have a small stash for you in case you get stuck again.

Leotie
Freshman Silent

102.gif Disturbed Librarian, there is a push to get it going here and I am sending emails and phone calls to the powers that be in this state. I will go to Raleigh and let them hold it with both hands if I need to.

It makes no sense at all to me for a pharmacist to be able to give me Oxycontin and Norco, considering the reputation that Oxycontin has. I am scared to death of that drug, but it does help me to cope with the foot pain. If and when I do manage to get my hand on some pot, I bake it into brownies or cupcakes, something like that or even grab a mouthfull and chew it up. If I got caught, I would go to jail, but 60 Oxycontin a month doesn't bother them at all.

Leotie
Freshman Silent

Thank you so much, Stephi. That means a lot to me. There are times when I wish I could have my feet and legs taken off completely, but I've been told that I could have phantom pain, and if that's the case, than what's the sue of taking them off?

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Dear Susan, I understand. KY is in a mess, too-- and now, not only do we have to get our prescriptions for pain meds every month, we also have to submit to drug testing every 3 months, to prove we take it. EGAD. Frown.gif

Leotie
Freshman Silent

Perri, I wish I could do that, but the Oxycontin is one of those drugs that I have to go to Dr.'s office, sign for prescription, pick it up and hand carry to pharmacy, I wish I could build up a small stash of them, but with the laws, and every oen ahving to be accounted ofr, that's nigh on to impossible.

I think when I finish reading this, I am going to have to lay down, the sleeping pill is doing it's job, and I'm about to nod off here.

Leotie
Freshman Silent

Thank you, Royal. It's something else when strangers have more sympathy for a person than a damn insurance company does.

Leotie
Freshman Silent

I would love to try that, but insurance does not cover it, and I don't have the extra money to pay for it.

Leotie
Freshman Silent

Summer, this was not the first time. The last time took just a few hours to get it straightened out, thank goodness.

I've started calling the prescription in early just to make sure ii goes through the way it's supposed to.

Leotie
Freshman Silent

You and me both, Honemana. I can tell you it's not a fun thing to deal with, and that's a stone cold fact. My neighbor stayed with me through the whole thing. That helped a lot, even though I don't think we spoke more than a dozen words. I knew she was here, and that helped a lot.

Leotie
Freshman Silent

I don't know, Kavika, but you can bet your bottom dollar that I will ask him when I go back there again. We have to do something, I'm just not willing to do that again. It's too much to ask of anyone.

Now, I have to get in a laying down position before I nod off here. I will be back tomorrow,

Leotie
Freshman Silent

Dowser, I don't have to go through that, BUT I am subject to be called in and have them counted. I didn't want to take this stuff to start with, but nothing else that I COULD takeworked.

I have to have my blood tested every 3-4 months for the thyroid issue, but it's at the point where I just wait till my body tells me it's out of whack and go in.

Leotie
Freshman Silent

Wheel, NO ONE should have to deal with this AT ALL! I've seen a few other people go through this in the building and it just infuriates me to no end.

Leotie
Freshman Silent

Phoebefeline, thank you my friend. I love the pictures, they are so sweet. My little Phugs was here with me the whole time except to go potty and eat. Animals are always good medicine!

((((((((((Phoebe))))))))))))))

Stephi Cantley
Freshman Silent

7190_discussions.png My Susan Girl, I wanted to give you this little haven today!Grin.gif This is part of the woods behind our yard, a place where I love to go with the kids and play, a place I love to go alone and just 'be,' a place I love to watch the deer nibbling the wildflowers. It is one of my favorite places to go and talk with my Jesus. And I want you to have it. I am asking Him to give you relief from the constant, awful pain. To really truly heal you so you never have to feel that way ever again. That the nerves will heal and settle down, so you can truly enjoy each day and not just try to endure it. Love you friend!

Stephi Cantley
Freshman Silent

7191_discussions.jpg same path, different angleSmile.gif ahhhh......relaxing and healing wishes just for you!!!!!

Nigel Dogberry
Freshman Silent
link   Nigel Dogberry    11 years ago

Only these states allow medical marijuana.

Sorry you are going through this, Susan. Marijuana is probably less harmful than the opioid pain killers.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Ugh. Truly miserable. I'm so very sorry that you have such pain.

When I had bypass surgery, I had a morphine/oxycotin drip and 2 percocets every hour. Thank God. It began to wear off, and they had put my button beyond my reach-- all I can say is, I was in agony until they came back and moved my button to where I could actually reach it.

Please take care-- and take whatever it takes to help! Smile.gif

Leotie
Freshman Silent

I do try my best to do that. I know for instance,if I'm going to be on my feet for awhile, I need to take a whole Norco or I'm going to feel it for a long time. I hate with a passion having to take any of these things.

Leotie
Freshman Silent

I know, Grump, but the insurance companies don't see it that way. I think sometimes, they like to torture people. I'd LOVE to let them walk in my shoes for24 hours, but would NOT wish this one anyone for longer than that.

GeeGee64
Freshman Silent
link   GeeGee64    11 years ago
Oh, Susan. I am so sorry. As a fellow sufferer, I totally get it. I don't have the numbness either, just the burning pain and electric shocks. I take gabapentin for it but there are times when it doesn't touch the pain. Nighttime is the worst. I can't have my feet touching anything...I just hang them over the bed without the covers. Cant wear socks or closed toe shoes, only soft sandals, which I mostly kick off under my desk at work. I so understand the toll it takes on your body and mind.I'm glad your doing better, sweetheart.

Stephi Cantley
Freshman Silent

prayers for Gee Gee today, too!!!!6.gif

Leotie
Freshman Silent

GeeGee, I take the Gabapentin bit that's for the horrid itching and timgles in my left hip area. The Oxycontin, I take one in the morning and one at night. Gabapentin, the same way. I take Norco for the pain when the Oxy doesn't get it down low enough.The painNEVER, EVER goes away, but I can get it down low enough to deal with it for the most part.

I know it's dangerous for your feet to be completely numb, but I think I could take that better than the pain. I have some really soft socks I wear all the time, but that weekend, I couldn't even stand them.

GeeGee64
Freshman Silent
(((Phuggy))) Oh, honey . . . That's a lot of pain meds. I am so sorry you're going through this.Thanks, Stephi. I appreciate your kindness.

Soovivers
Freshman Silent
link   Soovivers    11 years ago

Dowser and others - count KS in on that mess as far as meds go if a person is in pain. I'm in a whole lot of pain and I do take meds but it is almost impossible to get enough quantity to help with the pain.

Leotie
Freshman Silent

Yes, it is. I hate having to take drugs, but I hate even worse being in pain so bad it makes me cry. When it get's that bad, I will do almost ANYTHING to make the pain go away.

Leotie
Freshman Silent

I know it is, Grump. I smoked and ingested enough of it when I was in my early 20's. When I got tired of it, I put it down and walked away, no addiction there at all. I've read horror stories about folks getting addicted to this Oxycontin. I've been taking it for about 5 years now, I think. I don't know if I am addicted to it or not, I know the only thing that happens when I take it is that my feet don't hurt, and when I DON'T take it, they hurt like hell.

Leotie
Freshman Silent

GeeGee, I know. It scares the hell out of me to be on thethings like I take.But it scares me more to know I will go through that pain if I don't take them. As I said in another place, I don't consider myself a whiner as far as pain goes, I walked with a broken leg for 4 days, had my face cut to remove moles, same thing on my shoulder, and went through it with no problems.

When the neuropathy forst hit, it wouldn't bother me in cold weather, it was like that for a couple of years. Then it started acting up in the winder time too.

Did yours come on all of fa sudden? Mine did, woke up on the morning of July 1st, 2005 and my feet were hurting like I had never felt before.

GeeGee64
Freshman Silent
No, mine came on gradually. Because I ignored my diabetes signs, I now have diabetic neuropathy in my feet. I was dealing with my husband's health issues and then his death, and I didn't pay attention to my own health problems. My feet started to hurt, but I thought it was because I was gaining weight and putting more pressure on them. I didn't realize how sick I was until the damage was done. Now my sugar is stabilized, but the nerves in my feet will never be the same.I, too, have a high tolerance for pain, managed to go through labor and the birth of my daughter with no epi or meds, but the constant pain in my feet sometimes gets the best of me, and I cry and whine. I hate that I have to take so much medication for my diabetes and the pain in my feet but I am thankful for the little bit of comfort the gabapentin gives me.What is the cause of your neuropathy? You said you have it in your legs and hips, too? How awful!

Leotie
Freshman Silent

No, it's just in the feet and legs up to my knees now. I don't have diabetes, in fact, I have to keep a watch out for LOW blood sugar. It dropped to 44 once when I was living in Arizona, and I had eaten a good balanced meal that day as I knew I would be away from home for a while. Dr. said he has no idea where it came from, he calls it peripheral neuropathy.

I have some really soft fuzzy socks I found about 5 years back. I put on a pair and they felt SOOOOO good on my feet that I went to sleep in them. That was the first good night's sleep I'd had in a while because if my feet touched each other it would wake me up. Went back to the store and bought more of them. Now they are sold in my favorite grocery store for $1.00 a pair, but they only have them in the fall and winter months. I spend about $30.00 a year on these socks and wear them 24/7. Of course when I do go out, I put my crocks on, they are about the only shoes I can wear anymore. If you can find any of these socks, try a pair of them. If you can't let me know.

GeeGee64
Freshman Silent
Can't do socks at all, even soft fuzzy ones...I've tried all kinds. I can barely stand the open toed sandals I wear to work. Flip flops are all I wear at home. Thank goodness I live in Florida so I don't have to worry about winter boots. However my toes do get a little chilly at night.

I know its selfish, but I really miss being able to get pedicures. I used to love getting them once in a while but can't stand anyone to touch my feet any more. Sadness.

You will continue to be in my thoughts, dear Susan. You are a sweet lovely lady (I just read your post about Nancy) who deserves a good happy life.

Blessed be, my friend.