╌>

From Where the Next Daniel Schorr?

Category:  Other

Via:  broliver-thesquirrel-stagnasty  •  11 years ago  •  9 comments

From Where the Next Daniel Schorr?

For years he was on my radar screen as the Senior News Analyst for NPR, but his experience as a reporter from Eisenhower on eclipses that insufficient title. Daniel Schorr died July 23, 2010 three years ago, so why am I bringing this up now?

Because, much to my consternation, there has been no one, to my knowledge, who has stepped forward to take on the role of analyst that he so aptly filled. His knowledge and experience are surely impossible to duplicate, his grasp of issues that formed on top of this knowledge was canny, so that when he said, "I think that is likely to happen...." it was not because his political ideologies lead him to wish that was what was going to happen or not, but because, after due consideration of the factors involved, that is what he thought was going to occur.

Contrast with today, where most of the people we see and hear in the media are trying to spin the news to conform with their ideas of how things should be, to promote an ideology or sell a bill of bundled goods, we are losing the people who tell how it is and what may happen.Where and when did we cross that line?Where do we find the next Daniel Schorr?

Thanks, Dan.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Broliver "TheSquirrel" Stagnasty
Freshman Silent
link   seeder  Broliver "TheSquirrel" Stagnasty    11 years ago

So Where do we find the next Daniel Schorr? Is it even possible? Do we need to import our analysis from abroad?

Nigel Dogberry
Freshman Silent
link   Nigel Dogberry    11 years ago

....spin the news to conform with their ideas of how things should be, to promote an ideology or sell a bill of bundled goods....

Ain't that the truth. What is truly unfortunate is that most folks don't realize that is what they are being fed by the media, or they don't really care.

Where is another Schorr? I haven't a clue.

Freshman Silent

It would be nice if we had a whole corps of veteran reporters who could not only report on the news but give objective analysis.

Guess I will have to go look for some.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.    11 years ago

You know I said the same of the late (and much to early departure) of Tim Russert. I used to love "Meet the Press" because of him. I never knew which side of the isle he was until his death.

There are a handful of true journalist, but they decline with the years. How sad.

Freshman Silent

Yes, it is sad. One of the reasons that I wrote this article was out of the hope that people will pop in and say, "Oh but So-and-So is a really good veteran reporter and analyst."

Does anybody know of any person who has the possibility of filling the void?

There has to be someone out there.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.    11 years ago

The Onion.Grin.gif

Freshman Silent

Smart assGrin.gif

Oh, Did you mean all the good reporters have given up and just write shtick while everybody runs around like ants? Wonderful.

Nigel Dogberry
Freshman Silent
link   Nigel Dogberry    11 years ago

Bro, don't you remember those "journalism" students in college? The were all on the staff at the local college newspaper. They had a little clique and no one but them could get anything published. It was all their take on what was going on in college administration and campus hijinks and no one else could get in a word edgewise?

Then, they got out of college and are now working in the news industry, espousing their own viewpoints still to this day and calling it journalism. It's really just another "ism".

It's the "media" and everything that comes to us through them has been "mediated" by some "journalist". Some are right, some are left, but they try to hide it, sometimes, and other times they capitalize on it. It's called marketing. They take a little piece of information they got for free and play with it and then they try to sell it to us. Buahahahaha.

krounded
Freshman Silent
link   krounded    11 years ago

Daniel Schorr was one of the greats. I don't know where one finds journalists of that caliber anymore.

We still have Dan Rather. Leslie Stahl and the rest of the 60 Minutes crew are good. There is also my favorite foreign correspondent, Richard Engel. Lara Logan is also good. Rachel Maddow is a good journalist.

There's more. I think Mother Jones and Pro Publica does some good investigative work also. NY Times is still a great newspaper with excellent reporting.

So they are out there. We'll miss the Dainel Schorr's and the Tim Russert's. But there is still good reporters out there. It's a matter of finding them in the pump and opinion world the saturates the air waves and print.