╌>

Re-building Our Friends Lists-- One name at a time

Category:  Other

Via:  dowser  •  11 years ago  •  63 comments

Re-building Our Friends Lists--  One name at a time

8717_discussions.png Like some kind of awful spider, I lie in wait in the Members Section... Do I recognize that name? Was that a friend on the other side?

With JOY, I pounce on the names, and shoot out a friend's request!

It feels so much better with so many of you here! We're all going to be together again, under one roof . We can still talk, and laugh together! The site is large enough to accommodate all of us, yet not so large we get lost! Even better, it is a community driven site-- no surprises! (Thank God. We can take root in safety.)

I'm so glad to see so many people here! I've missed you all very much!

Please don't be offended if you receive a friend's request before you have time to catch your breath, and please don't be offended if I can't find you-- or don't recognize your new name! The best thing about this place is that we can find old friends and make lots of new ones!

So, for all our new members-- WELCOME !

To all our members that have been here awhile-- THANK YOU

To Perrie, who runs this site: God Bless You!

Golly! This feels WONDERFUL!

This is the best I've felt about things since last July... 36.gif Downright giddy, to be honest... Everything is going to be all right. We will still be able to find each other.

Remember: A good friend will come to bail you out of jail. A true friend will sit beside you and say, "Wasn't that fun?"

Thanks, y'all! Smile.gif

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   seeder  Dowser    11 years ago

It's beginning to feel a lot like Christmas! Smile.gif

So glad that so many of you have come to be with us! We're going to have some fun, now!!!

LoneRanger01
Freshman Silent
link   LoneRanger01    11 years ago

10521_discussions.jpg

Dowser, a Zen Master once said,...Always remember to forget...

The friends that proved untrue.

But never forget to remember Those that have stuck by you.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

I love that! And the picture is perfect!!!

What is that, a monkey? a lemur? It sure is cute! Smile.gif

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.    11 years ago

You're making me blush again, Dowser. Then you follow that up with a favorite song by one of my favorite bands (OK, it's almost everyone's favorite bands) but still...

Now it's my turn to say some thanks:

To Mac, to whom I would have thrown in the towel a long time ago. He is the rock of this place.

To my mods, inalphabeticalorder: Bruce, Larry, Mike, Peter and Randy... with out you guys I could never manage. And newbies, there is always a spot open on the moderation team. Get used to the place and the CoC and watch how we do it here, and I'll be glad to have you aboard.

I too struggle to keep up with my friend requests. I want everyone to feel at home, and part of that is that you can always feel comfortable contacting me. I am just another member, who wears the "Resident Adviser" hat.

Dowser, old friend.. what took you so long to find me, LOL! No, I get it. Home is where the heart is. NV was everyone's home for a very long time...even for me! It's hard to let go of that...I really do get it.

Erinn Rich
Freshman Silent
link   Erinn Rich    11 years ago

Dowser,

I feel the same! I went through a grieving process with the vine closing. Like you I kept saying to myself " It's just a website... it's just a website... "

It truly felt like a huge loss....

It is nice to see all the refugees from the vine...

E

bitemore Gfotwo
Professor Silent
link   bitemore Gfotwo    11 years ago

I have to ditto what everyone has said here, particularly about the grieving process and the acute sense of loss. Finding so many of my friends here has been wonderful... and if I haven't sent someone a FR, it is because I don't recognize the name. But feel free to send me a FR... this site is very conducive to friendships!

Erinn Rich
Freshman Silent

Cute puppy!!!!Smile.gif

GeeGee64
Freshman Silent
link   GeeGee64    11 years ago
When I found Newsvine, I was so happy. I followed seeders around like a starstruck teenager, reading and learning, wishing I had half the knowledge they did on politics, art, music, the world. Gaining knowledge is like crack to me. Tentatively, after months of lurking, I posted a comment or two. Lovely, wonderful people commented back and friendships were made. I was content. It felt good to be accepted into this group of exceptional people.

But everything changed with the unveiling of the new format. Friends were lost. The comfortable place where I felt most at home was gone. It was no longer a sanctuary but a place filled with chaos.

I am grieving the loss of Newsvine. But having this NewsTalkers site to turn to has been such a blessing. Especially since many of the lovely exceptional friends have made their way over.

Okay, sniff, enough wine for me. I'm getting all watery.

Erinn Rich
Freshman Silent

Who were you on the vine GeeGee?

GeeGee64
Freshman Silent
I was the same name, Erinn. GeeGee64.

Erinn Rich
Freshman Silent

Hehe.... silly me!

:) I am glad we are all finding a site that can help ease the sense of loss.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

I know you do, dear friend.

I have loyalty issues-- being the daughter of an alcoholic, I am sometimes TOO loyal. Hey, it happens! Smile.gif

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

It was a huge loss, for all of us, even though we may be in several places now. Change that one doesn't want is always hard-- but change is inevitable...

At this point, I am beginning to realize that I owe thanks to NV for dynamiting me out of there... 3.gif

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

It is, at that! Smile.gif

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

(((((((((Gee Gee)))))))))))))

I think we all feel that way! It was a hard loss, but we have a wonderful new beginning, with many of the same friends we had before!

It's a Miracle!

Grin.gif

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Love that picture! Smile.gif

pat wilson
Professor Participates
link   pat wilson    11 years ago

((((((dowser))))))

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

I love you, dear Pat... Always have! Smile.gif

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

POISONED?

Oh my gosh! I hope that your neighbor lives to regret it...

Poor baby, I'm so very sorry to hear this! Poisoned... Oh my gosh! Frown.gif

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Hahaha! Sunshine, I'm not! But thank you!

I'm just so glad to see everyone!!! Grin.gif

I run the gamut of good emoticons:

Grin.gif 6.gif 11.gif 15.gif 25.gif 35.gif 36.gif 41.gif 66.gif 69.gif 78.gif 103.gif 105.gif 111.gif 113.gif

GeeGee64
Freshman Silent
Okay, I'm slow. You're ERich!

Erinn Rich
Freshman Silent

((((Shelby))))

Yes! It's me!

That just breaks my heart about your dalmation!!

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Me, too, dear Erinn!

Wheel
Freshman Quiet
link   Wheel    11 years ago

That is so fucked up! Frown.gif

Sorry about your dog friend. Looked like a good guy too.

Wheel
Freshman Quiet
link   Wheel    11 years ago

I'm here if anyone of my friends from the Vine want to shot me a FR. Grin.gif

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

LOL, dear wheel! I do understand what you mean!

Have I sent you a FR? Because I wanted to, the instant I saw your name!!! I'm having trouble being a good "spider", and catching people as they come in... Smile.gif

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

I think I have both of you on my friend's list... I surely hope so!!! Grin.gif

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

I'm the very same way!!! Smile.gif

For me, all this is a good thing-- I'm learning a LOT!

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

I'm still checking in with a couple of articles that I've made comments on, and I'm really catching some heat over there.

Piffle.

I need to quit going over there at all-- all it does is make me upset.

LoneRanger01
Freshman Silent
link   LoneRanger01    11 years ago

cobaltblue
Junior Quiet
link   cobaltblue    11 years ago

Aw, GeeGee. I'm here fer ya! Dowser musta known you needed your sister from another mister. I can try to say something disgustingly gross to make you happy. I know how you like that stuff. Wanna see my ingrown hair again?

If you're the wrong GeeGee, my apologies. MY GeeGee loved the ingrown hair, but I know it might be an unsavory topic first thing in the morning.

friday jones
Freshman Silent
link   friday jones    11 years ago

Erinn....preachin' to the choir, my friend. Preachin' to the choir. It was shock and awe when I went to the new vine the first time. Bush the moral/mental midget couldn't have done better fucking everything up!

Sparrow
Freshman Silent
link   Sparrow    11 years ago

I second that! So many here, even the ones I like to debate. I just wish I could get Grisham and Enoch in the door. I'm really gonna miss them.Frown.gif

GeeGee64
Freshman Silent
Sweet Cobalt! I loved your hairy sundae with the cherry scab on top. Yes, I am the 12 year old boy in a 48 year old woman's body.

You are my soul sister for sure, my darling. Thank you for the hundreds of smiles and uncontrollable giggles you have caused me - and for the many undies I've had to change because I tend to pee when I have an unplanned guffaw.

My love for you is infinite.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Now, if we can just get Augur Well here... Smile.gif

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Grish was here, but disappeared... I don't know why! and Enoch... dear Enoch. Sometimes, we could really use his wisdom and calm.

Perrie this site is WONDERFUL!

Much love to you! Smile.gif

cobaltblue
Junior Quiet
link   cobaltblue    11 years ago

Sweet Cobalt! I loved your hairy sundae with the cherry scab on top.

OH NO, YOU DIDN'T JUST SAY THAT!!

GeeGee, I'm dyin' ovah heah!!! Dammit, girl ... did I have a life before you??!? Hahaha! You gotta meet my family!

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

LOL, y'all!!! Smile.gif

Erinn Rich
Freshman Silent

Hahahaa!!! You are right!

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Oh my gosh.

What on earth is wrong with these people????

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

My ONLY consolation is that God will get them in the end.

I prefer animals to humans, most of the time. SIGH!

crazyrooster
Freshman Silent
link   crazyrooster    11 years ago

As Mz. Dowser has said so well, it is great to see so many familiar faces here! I have not had as much time to spend here as I would like, but I am looking foward to a time that I will have time.... I have been here, lurking, as time allows, trying to get my tired old brain to focus on how to navigate the site, still in a learning curve... Hmmm, still looking for a spell check (I can manage to spell a one letter word incorrectly!). Do we have an official spelling patrol here, that will punish me when I spell something wrong?Grin.gif

wmolaw
Professor Silent
link   wmolaw    11 years ago

Funny, on this site being a "friend" has never really matter as there were so few members and all knew each other. I guess that as the site grows, this aspect will become more important.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Maybe it's just important to me... It helps me keep track of special people that I know better than other special people that I want to get to know better!

I'm sorry if you find it to be offensive, and can assure you that it isn't meant that way, at all! Smile.gif

Stephi Cantley
Freshman Silent
link   Stephi Cantley    11 years ago

Grin.gif

wmolaw
Professor Silent

Huh? Sorry, you misinterpreted my post, I guess I wasn't clear enough. Clearly when there are more members on a site, as there are now, the idea of "friends" becomes more important.

That is what I was trying to say. I just never really considered it before as when there are only a few members, they are pretty much all "friends" in that way.

So, no, I don't find it offensive at all, sorry if I gave that impression, was not meant.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Dear wmolaw, I was just checking... Thanks for your further explanation, though, it did help me to understand!

I didn't want you to be unhappy about all the new members, and I had invited a bunch of them... Please forgive me, if, in any way, I misled you, or sounded nasty. I don't know that we're friends. If I send you a request, would you do me the honor of being my friend?

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Exactly! Grin.gif

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

not by me, crazy rooster! It's all I can do to splel, myself. Smile.gif

Disturbed Librarian
Freshman Silent
link   Disturbed Librarian    11 years ago

It's good to find old friends from NV and to make new ones too. I'm looking forward to the time when there is more news on the front page to comment on or am I missing something?

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

I think people put up what they want to... If you go to the news and politics tab, you may see just news items. Same for the other tabs, too! Smile.gif

Disturbed Librarian
Freshman Silent
link   Disturbed Librarian    11 years ago

Thanks!

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

My pleasure! Smile.gif

Stephi Cantley
Freshman Silent

I like the way this is set up. Some news sites have SO much going on all over the page, nonstop EVERYTHING....it's like an ADHD party. Quite overwhelming. I find this much calmer.5.gif

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Me too! Peaceful! and FUN!

Love you, Stephi-- I don't know you very well, but, what I know, I really love!

Smile.gif

Stephi Cantley
Freshman Silent

1507220.GIF Awww...my Dowser Girl, I feel the very same about YOU! Thanks for making my day!!!! HUG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Thanks, Stephi-- you've made MY day, too!

Love that heart, too!

(((((((((((Stephi))))))))))))

YOU, my friend, are a bonafied doll. A real sweetheart. I am so fortunate to know you! Grin.gif

Stephi Cantley
Freshman Silent

1505650.PNG Oh my Goodness...You really really did make my day!!!!...Thank you friend! I msg. you just now! Love you too!!!!!

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

We are friends, dear Stephi! Now THAT is good news!!! Smile.gif

I love you!!! Take care!!

Stephi Cantley
Freshman Silent

5.gif ....and kindred spirits, I think!!!! HUG!!!!!

wmolaw
Professor Silent

Of course. And I would never, ever be unhappy re: new members. When Jack and the Forum Refugees went to NV it was brand new, run by the creators and Dennis, of course. There was a TON of angst as some of us that were in the Fugees were (gasp) of a classical liberal/conservative nature. Drove them batty, except Calvin, of course, who loved the energy and traffic that we drove.

I remember, oh, I remember. Of course I can't remember what I had for breakfast this morning, but 6 years ago, I got it!

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

I've sent the request-- and thank you!!! Smile.gif

PamelaDrew
Freshman Silent
link   PamelaDrew    11 years ago

Gotta love folks like us Dowser, with easy to remember names who have been around long enough to have the safe and comfortable feeling of course I know exactly who you are!! hugs pd :~)