Via:  perrie-halpern  •  11 years ago  •  59 comments

Tutorial #3:Tracking & Settings on NewsTalkers

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Broliver "TheSquirrel" Stagnasty
Freshman Silent
link   Broliver "TheSquirrel" Stagnasty    11 years ago

Thanks For the quick and Informative video.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    11 years ago

My, you ARE speedy!

Great job! I will watch it a couple of times again, to make sure I got all of it!

Looks GREAT! Smile.gif

deepwater don
Freshman Silent
link   deepwater don    11 years ago

Thank you so much for the help and advice. I definitely appreciate the help and look forward to enjoying NTGrin.gif

1984, Wasn't.
Freshman Silent
link   1984, Wasn't.    11 years ago

Good stuff, I had missed the significance of the little links.

I had already shut off most of the email, as a guideline, I hate email "notifications".

Keep up the good work, would love to have some background techniques on the screen capture to video process. Another time and place.

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
link   Larry Hampton    11 years ago

Excellent work Perrie!

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   A. Macarthur    11 years ago

Great resource.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.    11 years ago

Your Welcome. I hope you could stand my Long Island accent!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Thanks Dowser! Coming from you that is quite a compliment! I did stumble on a few words, but I that was take #14 and I was frustrated by then, LOL!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

That's great lloyd. I was hoping it would be. The only thing that people have a problem with is finding the tracker. They are very used to the little box on the upper left hand corner. Ours is just a wee bit different.

Always feel free to ask me anything!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Anything for you 84! The video process comes free through a company called ezvid (ezvid.com). They have a lot of options for screen capture video, including automated voice and writing and drawing on the video. I didn't want to get to fancy, since time was of the essence in this case.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Thanks Larry! Did you know that was there?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Thanks Mac. I would also like to take this moment and tell everyone that there are two other videos about the site found under that tabs. Check them out!

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
link   Robert in Ohio    11 years ago

Perrie

Thanks for the tutorial

As a new person on NT I am slowly learning my way around and appreciate all the help from you and other members so far

Tex Stankley
Freshman Silent
link   Tex Stankley    11 years ago

Thank you. Most helpful.

Broliver "TheSquirrel" Stagnasty
Freshman Silent
link   Broliver "TheSquirrel" Stagnasty    11 years ago

You sound remarkably similar to one of my childhood friends' mother... so no problem standing the accent. :)

bitemore Gfotwo
Professor Silent
link   bitemore Gfotwo    11 years ago

Perrie, this is excellent! Especially now, with the flood of Vine refugees who, no doubt, will be very appreciative! I may have been here for months, but even I learned something from this!Grin.gif

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

I am so glad that you have found the other members helpful. I happen to know that they are very friendly. There are two other ones that you might want to take a look at. They are great reference for when you forget how to do something!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Great Tex! I'm glad!5.gif

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

The funny thing Bitey, is that one of the reason we chose this platform was because it was the only one that offered tracking. Now NV's no site has, since they invented it, and I have to say, it's pretty amazing. But as discussion sites go, Ning's tracker is really easy to use and all the hyperlinks they provide, makes it very easy to get around here.

Glad you found itinformative!

bitemore Gfotwo
Professor Silent

I certainly find this site to be user-friendly. I also get email notices whenever there are comments or replies to comments I'm following. That makes it easy to get around, too. I also LOVE the Front Page here! I always find stuff there... it is nicely laid-out. There also seems to be a distinct lack of trolls here. I sure hope they never find this place!

You and A. Mac deserve big pats on the back for what you have created.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Thank you so much Bitey. That's a really nicecompliment!

Ahhh... trolls. I am sure there will be a day they find us, but that is the only kind of member the group has decided will never be tolerated here.

bitemore Gfotwo
Professor Silent

I'm sure you are correct about the trolls eventually finding this site, but I am equally sure they won't last long! Actually, I think Newsvine has done us a favor: I think that ONLY trolls will find anything to like about it... and maybe that is where they'll congregate!

Stephi Cantley
Freshman Silent
link   Stephi Cantley    11 years ago

Grin.gif THIS is AWESOME! Thank you so much! I love being walked-through the steps so much!

Stephi Cantley
Freshman Silent

Smile.gif I think it's pretty!

Rixar13
Freshman Silent
link   Rixar13    11 years ago

I've got to come back and watch again. 110.gif

stephanie (o'stephanie)
Freshman Silent
link   stephanie (o'stephanie)    11 years ago

Thank you! I like the way it works.

Stephi Cantley
Freshman Silent

Perrie, I actually only clicked on this so I could hear your cute little accent!Grin.gif Grin.gif

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Oh no Stephi! My Longuylanddddt accent! I try my hardest to hide it.

Stephi Cantley
Freshman Silent

don't you dare!!!!!!!!! I just have a boring, nothing no accent thing! It is so cute don't you hide it!!!!! (or you will have to turn MY frown upside down somehow!24.gif )

TTGA
Professor Silent
link   TTGA    11 years ago

Those videos are getting better as you go along Perrie. Practice really does make perfect.

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
link   Robert in Ohio    11 years ago

Perrie

Thanks a lot as always concise and informative

TTGA
Professor Silent

Much easier than written instructions.

TTGA
Professor Silent

There are certain things I like learning by using the braille method.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     11 years ago

Human anatomy by the Braille system. Sounds about right.

TTGA
Professor Silent

That's almost what's on it. Those white dots make it so much easier for older eyes. Remember the original military sights on those things?

TTGA
Professor Silent

One can always hope so Bitey.

bitemore Gfotwo
Professor Silent

I haven't "spied" on NV in weeks... don't even know if it is still there! But, if any of the trolls have migrated to here, I haven't spotted them!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

One man's troll is another man's friend.

I know each and every member let into this place. If anyone has any inquires, just ask.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

BF you can track right on the site, so you don't need those email notifications. That is what the video shows.

TTGA
Professor Silent

Perrie, is that the method you use? I know that you have to keep up on everything that happens around here and thought that your Inbox must be a nightmare. Personally, I've removed all the notifications except group invites and FR requests, and it seems to work well for me. Of course, I don't have to know everything that goes on here.

bitemore Gfotwo
Professor Silent

I guess I have a sixth sense about trolls and just know when to avoid certain comments. I've been so busy lately, anyway, that I haven't had time to browse here as much as I might like. I know I miss out on a lot, but can't be helped.Frown.gif

TTGA
Professor Silent

I'm sure you'll have time eventually hon. Meantime, we'll try to keep things together.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert

Bitey,

You need to take care of yourself first. Don't worry about the little things.

TTGA
Professor Silent

Definitely keep your health up Bitey. We want you with us over the long term.

bitemore Gfotwo
Professor Silent

You all are so dear... never fear: you're stuck with me for the long haul! I have no plans to check out any time soon! Just busier than I'd prefer to be, but can't be helped. What the hey: it keeps me young! {{{{{TTGA & Perrie}}}}}

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

Hey Bitey you know you're special -- especially special here on NT!

bitemore Gfotwo
Professor Silent

Aw, shucks, A. Mac! You're far more special than me... and a MUCH better photographer!

bitemore Gfotwo
Professor Silent

Gunny, you guys are gonna make me cry... I'm no more special than anyone else... especially so many of you here... I love you all!

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide

Bitey,

Here's great philosophy from an unlikely source

A heart is not measured by how much you love but how much you are loved by others.

Wizard of Oz
I would say folks like you and Stephi and some others on NT certainly prove that point.

bitemore Gfotwo
Professor Silent

I would say folks like you and Stephi and some others on NT certainly prove that point.

As do you, my dear.

And that quote is from my absolute all-time favorite author, L. Frank Baum, who wrote "The Wizard of Oz" and I still read them! I have the entire series of "Oz" books on my iPad!

bitemore Gfotwo
Professor Silent

8.gif 8.gif 8.gif 8.gif 8.gif 6.gif 6.gif 6.gif 6.gif 6.gif

TTGA
Professor Silent

Bitey,

The most vivid memory of Oz that I have came, not from the books but from the movie. My son was watching it for the first time at about eight years old and it reached the line by the Wicked Witch of the West, "I'll get you, my pretty; and your little dog too". He turned to his mother with a look of absolute horror and said, "Oh my god, mom; she's going to hurt that poor little dog". My wife had to carefully explain to him that it was just a story and that Mrs. Wickerley wasn't really going to hurt Toto.

bitemore Gfotwo
Professor Silent

The first time I saw the movie was at a Drive-In, as a toddler, with my parents. I was spellbound! When I discovered all the "Oz Books" at the school library, I began reading them. For years, as an adult, I tried to find the whole set, but couldn't. Then I got an iPad, discovered the Kindle app, and also discovered that all of the Oz books are available for Kindle... most are free. I downloaded all of them and read them all, and will probably read them again. I'd like to think your son is as spellbound as I was, and still am... We all need a little magic in our lives.

TTGA
Professor Silent

Haven't checked, but I'm pretty sure you can get them all at the Gutenberg Project too.

bitemore Gfotwo
Professor Silent

You can buy them all (faithful reproductions of the original hard-bound books) through Hammacher-Schlemmer, for something like $750! I'll stick with free...Grin.gif

TTGA
Professor Silent

Yeah, if I'm going to spend that kind of money, they won't be reproductions; they will be the actual first editions.

bitemore Gfotwo
Professor Silent

In 1970, when I moved to Westchester County in New York to live with my then-future husband, we stopped in a store in Tarrytown. There was a complete set of first-edition Oz books there, for $30. To this day, I regret not having returned to that store and buying those books!!!!

Neetu2
Freshman Silent
link   Neetu2    6 years ago

Perrie, the old NT used to have privacy options in settings. This one doesn't seem to. Is there any way to restrict who can see my profile? Outsiders and the general public, I mean, not members of NT.

Neetu2
Freshman Silent
link   Neetu2  replied to  Neetu2   6 years ago

Perrie, you may have missed my question so I am bringing it back on top.