╌>

What's the future hotrod/oddball classic car?

Category:  Other

Via:  msaubrey-aka-ahyoka  •  12 years ago  •  34 comments

What's the future hotrod/oddball classic car?

The next "hot" car to have in the future My husband and I have been trying to determine the next generation hot rod cars. Considering the majority of the newer cars [90's to present] have nearly no style, we're trying to come up with some possible contenders. What Gen-X-er's want are the cars of the 50's, 60's, and 70's. Some want earlier, but most want 50's-70's to build or restore. The Mopar's, the Merc's, the "Goat's", the 'Stangs, the American Muscle. Hell Not even American in many cases. How many love the Beetle, the VW Bus, the Karmann Ghia, MG's, Triumph's, Mini's, Porsche, etc? Or the funny little cars made to racers like the Gremlin, Pinto, and Pacer? Other than the obvious Mustang, Camaro, Firebird, and Challenger of today I think things like the Dodge Magnum, Ford Taurus SHO, Chevy HHR, upcoming 2013 Buick LeSabre, and specifically the CONVERTIBLE version of the PT Cruiser Limited Edition. Some of these vehicles are considered "lame" by the current public, but it's the Baby Boomers and early Gen-X-er's that can afford a new vehicle right now. These are the people that want the Roadrunners, GTO's, Darts, Falcons, Nova's [not the crappy 80's "Toyota" Chevy Nova], Cuda's, GS[X], etc. "Oddball Classic" definition [to me] would be like the Gremlin, Pacer, Pinto, Rambler, nearly anything from AMC that was compact-midsized, Vega, and any of the uncommon Corvair's . There are more, but I think you get the idea. What do you think will be the next gen "hot rod" or "oddball classic" to own?

imagesizer?file=Aubs199561498537EBE-FF72-F0BB-9087-2365B3BF3996.jpg&width=380

imagesizer?file=Aubs19956147F540115-2089-6F8A-793D-B625D2BC6140.jpg&width=380

imagesizer?file=Aubs1995614E3D11043-325A-8563-AADC-22E60007C767.jpg&width=380 imagesizer?file=Aubs19956141A59FAA6-2987-3CA6-1C70-4CA6118370AB.jpg&width=380 imagesizer?file=Aubs1995614E13A2131-507A-0C2B-D094-597481CCD03A.jpg&width=380 imagesizer?file=Aubs1995614BD5C82BD-6CE1-B70B-6D6C-553870B2A27D.jpg&width=380 imagesizer?file=Aubs19956148CC3379B-1C6A-BB56-C5F2-FE1E0EB853B1.jpg&width=380 imagesizer?file=Aubs1995614FA582921-E68F-DA85-986C-90CB4199D387.jpg&width=380

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.    12 years ago

Oddball cars would be the Sions and the Soul. I kind of like the Soul. Value for money. I guess also those Smart Cars... especially the two seater version.

Hotrods... that tougher. They keep trying to do that to Cryslers and Caddies, but they feel fake to me. Maybe I'll ask Matt what he thinks. BTW he used to own a Cuda.

Tex Stankley
Freshman Silent
link   Tex Stankley    12 years ago

Well, never had much use for "hot rods", as it were, having more utilitarian tastes. I'd sure take a 65 Chevy 4X4 Crummy were one available.

10610_discussions.jpg?width=721 10611_discussions.jpg?width=721

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
link   seeder  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)    12 years ago

That F100 is awesome!

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide

I agree it's going to be things like the Scions, Souls, and Cubes (Nissan's horrifyingly ugly vehicle). Jeep Wranglers will never be completely out. They will forever be alive and well I think.

I'd love to see a turbo available for my 2012 Fiesta! Hell, that may be a one of one someday. I did custom order it.

Tex Stankley
Freshman Silent

It's a beast.

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide

But WAY FUN I'm sure.

Tex Stankley
Freshman Silent

It's a Hipbilly Head Turner that is for certain sure, though so is the Fj60. The FJ is even more of a beast in the deep woods.

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide

This is the Toyota FJ that I think is sweet.

File:TBJ40.JPG

Nigel Dogberry
Freshman Silent
link   Nigel Dogberry    12 years ago

Good choices. 20 years from now, anything with a V8 might be a treasure. Will there be any fuel for it?

Tex Stankley
Freshman Silent

Thumbs way up on that feller!! The 40's are stout to say the least.....

Tex Stankley
Freshman Silent

A few more of my old rigs from daze gone by:

10612_discussions.jpg?width=721 10613_discussions.jpg?width=721 10614_discussions.jpg?width=721 10615_discussions.jpg?width=721 10616_discussions.jpg?width=721 Apparently us Hipbillies like to get our picture tooked with our rigs.....

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent
link   Petey Coober    12 years ago

Look for cars that had a legend about them when they were being made but are now defunct ...

Tex Stankley
Freshman Silent

How do you tie your Elk on that thing in hunting season?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.    12 years ago

Oh yeah... how could I forget that horrible Cube? It makes theGremlinlook good.

Tex Stankley
Freshman Silent

Jim White: Rambler

Tex Stankley
Freshman Silent

If you haven't already, check out these folks:

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide

Beautiful pieces of machinery in your past!!!Grin.gif I often wish I would have been born in the late 40's just for the vehicles alone!

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide

But not the greatest styling if you ask me... I guess no one did though.Smile.gif

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide

*giggles* Good call Tex.

Tex Stankley
Freshman Silent

Same here. I just love the style. So far I've never had one but I've always hankered for an early 40's Ford Coupe. The moonshine runners favorite.

When I was a kid 50's Chevy and Ford PU's could be had for around 100 dollars. I ran a number of those. I just wish I was wealthy enough to have kept many of the old ones. Cars and trucks. I could be retired, sitting on the porch in an Ice Cream Suit had I.

As far as I am concerned, 40's and early 50's American rigs are the ultimate in style and class.

I'd love to find one of these fellows as well....

10617_discussions.jpg

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide

Agreed, but alas... I was born in the 70's. After all the great autos were classics and antiques.

Tex Stankley
Freshman Silent

I hear you talking. I was born in the 50's and sadly did not have the intellecutal wherewithal to view the old guys as "classics". They were just cool old rigs a working class boy could afford to buy and run. Live and learn.......

Nigel Dogberry
Freshman Silent
link   Nigel Dogberry    12 years ago

Shucks, in WWII, they were building aircraft with engines producing 1700 horse power or more. And then modern auto manufacturers get all uppity with 400 horse power. Makes you wonder, doesn't it?

Dang it. This comment didn't go where I wanted it. Pffft.

A friend of mine dropped out of college and bought a Pantera, about 1971 or 72. He only paid about $7000 for it new, but that was a lot of money back then. He drove it about 5,000 miles and put it up on blocks. It is still sitting in his garage on blocks. I have no idea what that beauty is worth right now. It has a 351 in it, I think. I get a hard on just looking at that darn car. It's just beautiful. If Ford built those and put them back on the market, kept the price reasonable they would sell them like hotcakes. There was some talk about making the Pantera again when they were talking about making the T Bird. They didn't do it and look what they gave us - a T Bird for old ladies that looks like a dildo. Ummm.......... the car looks like a dildo, not the old ladies.

TTGA
Professor Silent
link   TTGA    12 years ago

Some of these vehicles are considered "lame" by the current public,

Keep in mind that, in the late 50's, the Edsel was considered pretty lame (at least according to the sales figures). Try to buy one now.

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
link   Larry Hampton    12 years ago

'78 Trans Am

02_front_right_high_800a.jpg

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
link   Larry Hampton    12 years ago

I was 14 when it came out; I am still in lust.

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide

I'm rebuilding a 79 Formula Firebird... However, it's got a BB Olds 455 in it.Grin.gif ;)

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide

Hell I would if I weren't working, getting an extended education, and a family. Especially since it would be your money... Not mine.Grin.gif

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide

That's kind of the issue... No time.

Rixar13
Freshman Silent
link   Rixar13    12 years ago

When I was 16 years old I owned a 1970 Cuda special edition with a shaker hood and 500 hp... I'mnow driving now a 2013 Hyundai Genesis 2.0T Turbo Coupe... Thumbs up ^....Smile.gif

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
link   seeder  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)    11 years ago

Blasphemy! Telling me thumbs up about a Hyundai.

The 'Cuda? Absofriggenlutely thumbs up.

Rixar13
Freshman Silent
link   Rixar13    11 years ago

Hyundai Genesis 2.0 Turbo R/SPEC is a four cylinder with almost 300 HP... Test drive one and get back to me... Grin.gif

I did win a trophy with the Cuda in So. Glens Falls NY turning a 10.98 quarter at 16 years old.Looks just like the Challenger above with same hood...

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
link   seeder  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)    11 years ago

Won't even test drive one. I work and live in the "Motor City" dear. The majority of my family works in some industry or another that either supplies the local auto companies or work directly for the local auto companies. I won't take money away from my family.

Rixar13
Freshman Silent
link   Rixar13    11 years ago

I understand and respect... Semper Paratus