╌>

Apple Stock Hit by Panic Selling: 'Someone Yelled Fire'

Category:  Stock Market & Investments

Via:  the-irascible-harry-krishner  •  12 years ago  •  4 comments

Apple Stock Hit by Panic Selling: 'Someone Yelled Fire'

9046_discussions.png Its quite tempting at these prices. Should you buy, sell, or hold?

Forget the "fiscal cliff." The real panic on Wall Street is over Apple's stock.

Nearly every mutual and hedge fund has piled into Apple ( AAPL ) during its spectacular rise over the past few years. Now, these same funds are scrambling for the exits as the stock goes through an equally spectacular decline.

Apple plunged to a six-month low Thursday as funds rushed to take profits on the stock before it's too late. Shares are now off 25 percent since late September-shortly after the iPhone 5 launch and a month before the iPad Mini introduction. ( Link )

Full disclosure: I own shares of AAPL (in fact, its now my third largest holding). In fact, I just bought a bit more. 15.gif

Although, IMO, is now quite risky -- it may well still have significant downside! 18.gif

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Krishna    12 years ago

"We believe that Apple is transitioning from a hyper-growth story to a more traditional, high quality branded company story," said Toni Sacconaghi of Bernstein Research. The analyst, who has an $800 price target on the stock, believes Apple's next big announcements will be an increase in the dividend and share repurchase.

IMO AAPL is currently one of the cheapest stocks (considering only quality companies). My long-term target is somewhere between $900-$1000/share, although shortterm there might be some significant downside risk. And I was just thinking the same thing-- that they will soon raise the dividend (the company is sitting on a huge pile of cash).

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   seeder  Krishna    12 years ago

I'm not invested in the market. I keep my money in a series of jars buried in secret locations on my patio..

Well, given the state if the market since the election...its probably safer there!

Len
Freshman Silent
link   Len    12 years ago

After rallying it bounced back to a lower low under 500 (now $519.33)with one analyst expecting 275.

But it is still up over 25% on the year and is likely a good buy now for all the reasons given.

News today is that Google/Motorola is developing an X phone to rival the iPhone. Due out next year, it is encountering headwinds.

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
link   Larry Hampton    12 years ago

Technology markets, and especially mobile technology, is really in it's infancy. We tend to forget that the first I-phone came out just a few years ago. I read the other day that Apple is being surprised by how well the mini is selling, even possibly outpacing the Ipad in sales;...the rumors are that Apple will be introducing it's retina display on it's next mini. They are competing with themselves which tells us, this is all still very new and the market-place is still attempting to find the center of the consumers pulse. If anyone can , it's Apple.