╌>

Bullied teen in Michigan speaks up on "Today" - Detroit Free Press

Category:  Other

Via:  msaubrey-aka-ahyoka  •  12 years ago  •  8 comments

Bullied teen in Michigan speaks up on "Today" - Detroit Free Press

http://www.freep.com/article/20120925/NEWS06/120925039/1001/rss01

The tiny town of West Branch in northern lower Michigan and its high school have been in the national media spotlight over the past day, thanks to the heartwarming story of bullied teen Whitney Kropp.

Earlier this month, Kropp found out she was selected to the homecoming court at Ogemaw Heights High School -- but it was all a cruel joke. A group of "popular" kids had banded together to get her voted on the court to make fun of her, according to a story by TV station WNEM .

"I had actually reached a point where I had thought about suicide for how bad this case was in," Kropp told the TV station. "I thought I wasn't worthy at Ogemaw Heights at all."

This morning, Kropp appeared on Today on NBC to talk about her ordeal and how the community has rallied around her. A fellow Ogemaw Heights graduate created a YouTube video to support Kropp and denounce bullying. A Facebook page named "Support Whitney Kropp" was created and as of this morning, it had more than 43,000 fans. According to WNEM, Kropp's homecoming dance dress, dinner and hair styling have all been paid for.

The homecoming game is set for Friday, and The Detroit News reported that residents plan to pack the stadium to cheer for Kropp at halftime, wearing her favorite color, orange, and carrying signs of support. Kropp plans to attend the dance Saturday.

Video: Whitney Kropp talks to the 'Today' show

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
link   seeder  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)    12 years ago

Nice to see that there are people that want to help those that are getting shit on by others.

Feddy
Freshman Silent
link   Feddy    12 years ago

That's great that everyone is rallying around her. Some people are just so cruel.

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent
link   Petey Coober    12 years ago

Here is a video of Whitney herself :

I don't understand why the sophomores weren't up in arms at the way their representative to the court was treated . There are a lot more sophomores than court members ...

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
link   Larry Hampton    12 years ago

The height of cosmic justice of course would be for her to win, thus slamming the little pukes. I'm sure already that they realize that their plan has back-fired as it hits them where they are weak, Kropp has gained popularity beyond any they have ever gained.

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide

All I can say is that while I know she was miserable going to school every day because of these shitheads, she hasn't talked about being physically bullied. No. I am not making one worse than the other. I had both done to me all through Jr High and HS [up until junior yr - a reason behind that... I will get to that in a min]. Not only did I get the verbal harrassment [thank the Lord that internet wasn't the place as it is today], but I got physically bullied too. Frown.gif I was the "tomboy freak" and got shoved into lockers, shoved under the bus, head butted in Gym, soccer balls slammed into my back knocking the wind out of me, my head slammed into the concrete wall, tripped, shoved, egged, etc. on top of the "jokes", names, and other hurtful verbal harrassment. I never oncepickeda fight. I never dated anyone I went to school with because I knew that would probably make things worse [jealousy n such]. I didn't fight back because I worried about getting suspended and in trouble at home for it. My children will never have the fear about getting into trouble at home for defending themselves or each other. I know that the bully behavior starts with the parents of these kids. I have seen it with my own eyes and heard it with my ears. I can say that I find it wonderful that the community is helping her out. It sucked ass not having anyone to help me out.

The only reason the bullying stopped for me was because a friend of mine accidentally dropped me on my face [picked me up and lost balance] onto cement, then fell on my head. People thought I'd gotten into a fight and won. I think my friends began that rumor. No one ever screwed with me again. Grin.gif

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide

Absolutely. And she will win because of this story.

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide

Wait... What?

What's wrong with someone sticking up for themselves again?

You'd rather it go back to someone committing suicide then?