╌>

How to defeat online ads

Category:  Other

Via:  petey-coober  •  12 years ago  •  12 comments

How to defeat online ads

OK , so you're shopping online for some item . You click on some websites and find promising purchase candidates . But you are not quite ready to purchase yet . Guess what happens then ? Your potential shopping choices follow you around wherever you go on the web like bad karma . There they are on the right side of your screen tempting you with each new website you visit .

How do you deal with this annoyance ? Here is my solution :
Revisit some of the original shopping sites and relook at the some of the previous candidates . But then add one more step . Look at crap in the same category that you have no desire to purchase . Make that the last item you look at . And presto , problem solved ! Instead of the good stuff tempting you from the right side of your screen you have the crap you have no interest in showing up . No more temptation or distraction equals relief !

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Pedro
Professor Participates
link   Pedro    12 years ago

Did you say crap?

10701_discussions.jpg

I try not to buy this shit either.

:)

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent
link   seeder  Petey Coober    12 years ago

And yet here you are Mike !

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

In this case crap is what saves you from temptation ... although not that type .

Pedro
Professor Participates
link   Pedro    12 years ago

LMAO! True indeed.

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

Fero ,

I'm inclined to agree with you . But what else can you expect from someone with that screenname ?

Did you have anything to add about my article ? The technique I described really works . I'm sure there are other ways to deal with it as well . If you know of others please describe them .

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

LOL ! Do youreallythink I want to invite more of the same ?!

You may be right about clearing cookies . It would be better if you could leave cookies for a few selected sites . Then at least you get to keep some of your settings [although you would still have some of that ad following problem ...] .

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

Yes I do know ... all too well !
And thanks for your cookie suggestion but it sounds like too much work . For one thing it has to be repeated whenever you revisit the sites you like [as far as I know ... correct me if I'm wrong ] .

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent

Mike ,

[[Oddly, I don't mind it.]]

The issue I am talking about doesn't apply equally to all ads for all people . It is also a question of timing and the ability to afford it . At the moment you already own a Mercedes that you want . But imagine if you didn't already possess that car and you really wanted to own a brand new Mercedes . Could you afford it ? If not , then all of those ads would be a constant temptation to buy something you wish you had but couldn't afford . That would be quite a distraction I would think .

In such a situation all you would need to do to eliminate such a temptation would be :
1] revisit the Mercedes ads 2] Then switch to a site selling the Chevy Volt , a car you surely don't want .
The result would be you would no longer get Mercedes ads but instead get Volt ads , something you could easily dismiss from your consciousness . That would not be the distraction that the Mercedes ads would be [under those circumstances] . Do you see how that works ? [Of course you could also switch to ads for some other car you consider as crap ... maybe the Chevy Malibu ? ... easy to ignore and produces no interest .]