╌>

Woman conquers fears by meeting Facebook friends face-to-face

Category:  Other

Via:  kori  •  12 years ago  •  6 comments

Woman conquers fears by meeting Facebook friends face-to-face

"What are you most afraid of? One woman's debilitating anxiety disorder is to blame for her fear of being in situations that are not easy to escape or embarrassing to do so. ArLynn Presser,a writer who lives in a suburb of Chicago, made a 2011 resolution to overcome her agoraphobia. How did she set do it? She decided over the course of a year that she would try to meet all 325 of her Facebook friends--in person .... Her trek took her on 39 flights to 13 different countries ... She traveled to Canada,the Philippines, Germany, Italy, Dubai, India, and Ireland to name a few."

Continue reading article here

===

In all honesty, if I hadtime and money I would do the samething. It would be great fun. :-)

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.    12 years ago

That is one interesting adventure. Something that I would love to do, for sure. I was just shocked that she had so many friends all over the world. I only have here and the UK.

Still it reminded me of "Eat, Drink, Love".

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   Krishna    12 years ago

Her trek took her on 39 flights to 13 different countries. She traveled to Canada , the Philippines, Germany, Italy, Dubai, India, and Ireland to name a few. Presser now says that the idea of doing what she once called "insanity" has not only helped her overcome agoraphobia, it has also given her new skill sets as well as acquainted her with 292 of her virtual friends. Among the new activities Presser experienced were riding in a motorcycle sidecar, learning to sing opera, training to be a bodyguard, and climbing a mountain in California.

Wow-- what a fascinating story!

Kori
Freshman Silent
link   seeder  Kori    12 years ago

Doing something like this would be a dream come true. Kind of like the Amazing Race without the competitive stress.

I have a few global people on my friends listthat I've never met. Have also received friend requests from people around the globe that I have not accepted. If I can find a connection to determine how or where they got my name from andcheck out their page to determine if they're stable or whackos, I'll accept. But I have rejected more unknowns than accepted.

Krishna
Professor Expert
link   Krishna    12 years ago

I used to get a lot of Friend requests from facebook users (I am not on Facebook). And the email said to sign up on fb and then friend them.

In almost all cases I was sure i did not know the person=-- and never had.

It seems that a lot of people on fb are playing this (rather juvenile) game-- they are trying to see who get the most people on their friends' list. (Of course most are not really friends-- they send friend requests to anyone whose email address they can get...its just a numbers game).

Kori
Freshman Silent
link   seeder  Kori    12 years ago

In some cases I think that unsolicited friend requests areharmless. People share common interests, hobbies, political ideologies, etc., andwant to be on theirnewsfeed. Some people also arenaturally curiousabout other people. In some cases, though not all, their intentions are harmless.

One example, one person on my facebk newsfeed is a photographer from Brazil who shares phenomenal underwater photography. He sent me a friend request,we had several friends in common, the posts on his wall had to dowith photography so I accepted his fr. My guess is thathe's building exposurefor his photography skills and facebook is a good way to do it. With a personal facebook page, I think you can have up to about 5000 friends but not certain on that number.

Other friend requests were in arabic, korean,filipino, etc., andI rejected them. They are of no value to me because I can't read any of those languages.

I belong to a Facebook group represented by Queen Rania Al Abdullah of Jordan. Her group was very active and interesting, full of news about what was happening in Jordan with women and education.People posted in arabic and english. Have noticed since Arab Spring, the posts have died down.

So not all unsolicited friend requests arejuvenile games butdefinitely one must usewisdom and discretion to weed them out.

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent
link   Petey Coober    12 years ago

Better Facebook than instant messaging . Any time I have accepted one of those messages it was a come-on ...