Microsoft Afterparty With Dancers in Miniskirts Draws Ire

Category:  Other

Via:  pj  •  8 years ago  •  1 comments

Updated: March 18, 2016 4:27 PM

Getty Images—iStockphoto

The gaming conference closed with an event many described as sexist

At the afterparty for Microsoft’s official Game Developer Conference in San Francisco Thursday night, the company hired dancers dressed in sexually provocative clothing, prompting some to accuse Microsoft of alienating women in the already male-dominated tech industry, reports Business Insider.

Attendees posted photos and on Instagram displaying the dancers’ attire.

Australian game developer Kamina Vincent, who was in attendance, slammed Microsoft in a series of furious tweets, promising to issue a formal complaint over the matter.

Even Microsoft’s head of Xbox Games Marketing Aaron Greenberg expressed his disapproval on Twitter.

The incident not only evokes the stubborn gender disparity in the tech community at large, but, more troublingly, the Gamergate controversy, and sexual harassment in the gaming community specifically.

In a statement to MONEY, Xbox head Phil Spencer was contrite over the misstep.

“At Xbox-hosted events at GDC this past week, we represented Xbox and Microsoft in a way that was not consistent or aligned to our values,” Spencer said. “It was unequivocally wrong and will not be tolerated. I know we disappointed many people and I’m personally committed to holding ourselves to higher standards. We must ensure that diversity and inclusion are central to our everyday business and core values. We will do better in the future.

http://time.com/money/4264778/microsoft-afterparty-with-dancers-in-miniskirts-draws-ire/?xid=yahoo_monpartner?xid=yahoo_money

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

PJ
Masters Quiet
link   seeder  PJ    8 years ago

Seriously?  No one asked me if I wanted my picture tweeted out!

Kidding aside, this is an ongoing issue and these types of hiccups don't help with company reputations.  What was this guy thinking????  never mind......don't tell me.