╌>

The 'Two-Spirit' People of Indigenous North Americans

Category:  History & Sociology

Via:  kavika  •  7 years ago  •  23 comments

The 'Two-Spirit' People of Indigenous North Americans

The is an article written by Walter L. Williams and explains the cultural differences between Native Americans and Anglo-Americans when it comes to the understanding of male and female. In some instances I have added by own thoughts to this article my Professor Williams.

How many genders are there? To a modern Anglo-American, nothing might seem more definite than the answer that there are two: men and women.  But not all societies around the world agree with Western culture's view that all humans are either women or men.

Among many cultures, there have existed different alternatives to ''man'' or ''woman.'' An alternative role in many American Indian societies is referred to by anthropologists as berdache.

Native Americans have often held intersex, androgynous people, feminine males and masculine females in high respect.  The most common term to define such person today is to refer them as ''two-spirit'' people, but in the past feminine males were sometimes referred to as ''berdache'' by early French explorers in North America, who adapted a Persian word ''bardaj''meaningan intimate male friend.  Because these androgynous males were commonly married to a masculine man, or had sex with men, and the masculine females had feminine women as wives, the term berdache had a clear homosexual connotation.  Both the Spanish Settlers in Latin America and the English colonists in North American condemned them as ''sodomites'' Rather thanemphasising the homosexuality of these persons, however, many Native Americans focused on their spiritual gifts  American Indian traditionalists, even today, tend to see a person's basic character as a reflection of their spirit.  Since everything that exists is thought to come from the spirit world, androgynous or trans-gender persons are seen as doubly blessed, having both the spirit of a man and the spirit of a woman  Thus, they are honored for having two spirits, and are seen as more spiritually gifted than the typical masculine male or feminine female. (it should be noted that the term ''berdache'' is considered an insult and is a derogatory Anglo term that is not used any longer.)

Therefore, many Native American religions (NA religion is not the same as Anglo religion) rather than stigmatising such person, often looked to them as religious leaders and teachers.  Quite similar religious traditions existed among the native peoples of Siberia and many part of Central and southeast Asia. Since reports of highly respected androgynous person have been noted among indigenous Americans from Alaska to Chile, androgyny seems to be quite ancient among humans.

Rather than the physical body, Native Americas emphasised a person's ''spirit'', or character, as being most important.  Instead of seeing two-spirit person as transsexuals who try to make themselves into ''the opposite sex''itis more accurate to understand them as individuals who take on a gender status that is different from both men and women.  This alternative gender status offers a range of possibilities, from slightly effeminate males or masculine females, to androgynous or trans-gender persons, to those who completely cross-dress and act as the other gender. The emphasis of Native Americans is not to force every person into one box, but to allow for the reality of diversity in gender and sexual identities.

Most of the evidence for respectful two-spirit traditions is focused on the native peoples of the Plains, the Great Lakes, the Southwest, and California. With over a thousand vastly different cultural and linguistic backgrounds, it is important not to overgeneralise for the indigenous peoples of North America.  Some documentary sources suggest that a minority of societies treated two-spirit persons disrespectfully, by kidding them or discouraging children from taking on a two-spirit role.  However, many of the documents that report negative reactions are themselves suspect, and should be evaluated critically in light of the preponderance of evidence that suggest a respectful attitude.  Some European commentators, from early frontier explorers to modern anthropologists, also were influenced by their own homophobic prejudices to distort native attitudes.

Two-spirit people were respected by native societies not only due to religious attitudes, but also because of practical concerns.  Because their gender roles involved a mixture of both masculine and feminine traits, two-spirited person could do both the work of men and of women.  They were often considered to be hard workers and artistically gifted, of great value ot their extended families and community.  Among some groups such as the Navajo, a family was believed to be economically benefited by having a''hadleh'' (literally translated as ''one who is transformed'')  androgynous person as a relative.  Two-spirit person assisted their siblings'children and took care of elderly relatives, and often served as adoptive parents for homeless children. A feminine male who preferred to do women's work (gathering wild plants or farming domestic plants) was logically expected to marry a masculine male, who did men's work (hunting and warfare).  Because a family needed both plant foods and meat, a masculine female hunter, in turn, usually married a feminine female, to provide these complementary gender roles for economic survival. The gender conforming spouse of two-spirit people did not see themselves as ''homosexual'' or as anything other then ''normal''.

In the 20th century, as homophobic European Christian influences increased among many Native Americans, respect for same-sex love and for androgynous person greatly declined.  Two-spirit people were often forced, either by government officials, Christian missionaries or their own community, to conform to standard gender roles. Some, who could not conform, either went underground or committed suicide With the imposition of Euro-American marriage laws, same-sex marriages between two-spirit people and their spouses were no longer legally recognised.  But with the revitalisation of Native American ''Red Power'' cultural pride since the 60s, and the rise of gay and lesbian liberation movements at the same time, a new respect for androgyny started slowly re-emerging among American Indian people.

Because of this tradition of respect, in the 90s many gay and lesbian Native American activists in the United States and Canada rejected the French world berdache in favor of the term two-spirited people to describe themselves.  Many non-American Indians have incorporated knowledge of Native American two-spirit traditions into their increasing acceptance of same-sex love, androgyny and trans-genderdiversity  Native American same-sex marriages have been used as a model for legalizing same-sex marriages, and the spiritual gifts of androgynous person have started to become more recognized.

A Crow traditionalist says, ''We don't waste people, the way white society does. Every person has their gift.''

A Fouth degree mide of the Ojibwe, (Mide are the teachers and historians and the keepers of ''The Scared Scrolls of the Midiwiwin''. A highly influential society with the Anishinaabe people) says that the two-spirit people are equal members of our nation.

Walter L. Williams is the author of The Spirit and the Flesh, and is Professor of Anthropology, History and Gender Studies at the University of Southern California.

His most recent book is ''Two-Spirits: A story of Life with the Navajo''

In todays political and religious climate the Native American can teach a lesson to those that scorn the two-spirit people. Remember the wise words of the Ojibwe people, GAKINA AWIIYA (we are all related)

Having spent a lot of time in Samoa, their society accepts the ''two spirit'' people without hesitation. 

It's interesting to note that among the Ojibwe the ''two spirit'' people where the shock troops of the nation. First into battle, the most famous of the ''two spirit'' people was Yellow Head. A fierce warrior that took part in many battles. 

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika     7 years ago

Keep the discussion civil and on topic. If you agree or disagree isn't the question. The fact is that many/most indigenous people the world over have a very different view of the ''two spirit'' people than Anglo Americans do.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
link   Raven Wing  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

There are many Native American Tribes that are of the same belief, although they may have a different name or description of them.  

The important thing to keep in mind is, the Creator does not make mistakes.

Each and ever human being born into the world has a reason and a purpose. I believe that those who are born different, whatever their difference may be, are special individuals to help teach humans tolerance, understanding and compassion toward each other. 

It has been proven that there are gays even in the animal world, and they are tolerated and accepted by their fellow members.  It seems they were way ahead of mankind.  

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika   replied to  Raven Wing   7 years ago

The knowledge and acceptance that their are other views to this debate is the first step in opening ones horizons, RW.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
link   Raven Wing  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

Very true, Kavika.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
link   Perrie Halpern R.A.    7 years ago

Very interesting article from a anthropological point of view. One can not deny that other cultures hold different views of sexualtiy than western views. For instance, the ancient Greeks believed that only true love could be between a man and a man, who they had sexual relations with and that women were only meant for procreation. There are so many varied views on this subject that go beyond the ones that we hold. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika   replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A.   7 years ago

The world is a big place with many various attitudes toward sexuality...The western version isn't the only or the correct one.

CB
Professor Principal
link   CB    7 years ago

Very important article! I am glad to have the opportunity to read it. I have been observant of a great many cultures who are putting themselves and their cultural expressions forward into the marketplace. Many of us are so focused on the narrow scope of our own realities and beliefs (in the sense of trying to create value in both) that we run away in terror or outright denounce new or other cultural norms.

Great article and much more can be said about it. Trust me.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika     7 years ago

''Great article and much more can be said about it. Trust me.''

Indeed there is much more that can be said...The subject is complex and the cultural norms of American Indians and other indigenous peoples world wide can lend a balance to the singular Anglo American view.

CB
Professor Principal
link   CB    7 years ago

I actually love this. I have seen documentaries about this 'calm' in other cultures (Asian Indians, Filipinos). Heck, I have seen it with my own eyes on my travels overseas and did not fully understand the dynamics involved. I want to know more.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika   replied to  CB   7 years ago

There are articles and studies on this calbab....

CB
Professor Principal
link   CB  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

I just love stories about people free to live life without too many encumbrances. (-:

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika   replied to  CB   7 years ago

This extends to religion as well. 

To many Indians Christianity hold a whole host of ugly memories starting with the ''doctrine of discovery'' of the 15th century which has never been revoked by the Catholic Church. 

CB
Professor Principal
link   CB  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

I hear.

Steve Ott
Professor Quiet
link   Steve Ott    7 years ago

Thank you Kavika. I have friends and family who are in, shall we say, "non-traditional relationships". According to many anyway. I have never really understood the need to immediately classify people as non-desirable because of their way of being. 

Every individual has a gift and something to contribute to the community, if only we will listen with the spirit.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika   replied to  Steve Ott   7 years ago

I believe that this comment pretty well sums up the differences Steve.

'' A Crow traditionalist says, ''We don't waste people, the way white society does. Every person has their gift.''

Steve Ott
Professor Quiet
link   Steve Ott  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

I believe you are correct.

Kavika
Professor Principal

Here is another article on the subject that you may find interesting. 

Steve Ott
Professor Quiet
link   Steve Ott  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

I read this last night, and several others on ICMN and from Native Peoples. I also posted this article on Facebook this morning, dedicated to all my two spirit family and friends. The Baptists in my family won't like it, but that is ok, I rather more like the Great Spirit to the white man spirit. 

Thank you again for your sharing and teaching.

Kavika
Professor Principal

Your most welcome Steve.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    7 years ago

I take great comfort in this article!  Thank  you for it!

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika   replied to  Dowser   7 years ago

Your welcome, Dowser.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
link   A. Macarthur    7 years ago

Here is something I find both fascinating and infuriating;

While Christianity holds that we are created in God's image , and, that such an entity as a "Holy Trinity" is existential , there are self-ascribed "Christians" who are not only not willing to accept a kind of trinity (or more) of "genders" or genotypes among their fellow humans (Christians and others), but they scorn and repudiate those whom they deem "different" and "other than normal".

And while some will find biblical "justification" for their position, they don't seem to be able to apply the biblical mandate …

Search Results

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   seeder  Kavika   replied to  A. Macarthur   7 years ago