╌>

Man Who Was Allegedly Stabbed For His Neo-Nazi Haircut Actually Stabbed Himself

Category:  Now Trending

Via:  bob-nelson  •  7 years ago  •  7 comments

Man Who Was Allegedly Stabbed For His Neo-Nazi Haircut Actually Stabbed Himself

Remember that guy on Facebook a couple of weeks ago who said he got stabbed by some stranger because he had a “neo-Nazi” haircut? You’re never going to believe this, but the story was total bullshit. He accidentally stabbed himself. And blamed it on a non-existent black guy.

Joshua Witt, a 26-year-old from Colorado, posted some photos to Facebook on August 16th, claiming that he had been stabbed for his “neo-Nazi haircut.” Cutting your hair extremely short on the sides and leaving some length on top has become known as the cool cut for kids on the alt-right.

“Soooooooo apparently I look like a neo-Nazi and got stabbed for it,” Witt claimed in a now-deleted post. “Luckily I put my hands up to stop it so he only stabbed my hand... please keep in mind there was no conversation between me and this dude I was literally just getting out of my car.”

Joshua Witt sporting the haircut that he falsely alleged was the reason that he was stabbed (left)
Facebook post that went viral claiming Joshua Witt had been stabbed (right)

Witt’s bloody Facebook post quickly went viral and everyone from Inside Edition to Fox News to the Alex Jones Show was outraged over this over-the-top story. But, as we mentioned, it’s bullshit.

Witt’s story was first debunked by Buzzfeed who contacted the police in Sheridan, Colorado for the full story. Gizmodo reached out to the Sheridan Police Department as well, who confirmed that Witt actually stabbed himself. And on top of that, he originally told police that his attacker was a “black male” in his mid-20s.

Police checked surveillance footage near the Steak n’ Shake where he was allegedly attacked and couldn’t find anybody running from the scene like Witt had claimed. What did they really find on the tapes? Footage of Witt buying a knife at a nearby store minutes before he was allegedly “attacked.”

“On August 24, 2017 Sheridan Police, re-interviewed Mr. Witt where he was confronted with all the information listed above,” Sheridan Police Chief Mark Campbell told Gizmodo in a statement.

“Mr. Witt subsequently admitted to accidentally cutting himself with the knife while parked in his car in front of the sporting goods store and admitted making up the story about being attacked,” Chief Campbell continued.

Witt was booked and released for filing a false police report. He faces up to a $2,650 fine and up to a year in jail.

Booking photo for Joshua Witt on August 24, 2017
after he confessed to accidentally stabbing himself and filing a false police report

Sheridan Police Department

Judging by his booking photo, Witt actually let his hair grow out a bit, just as he told Fox News he was going to do. Probably a good call if there were actually people out there stabbing random passersby for having a high-and-tight haircut. But it’s less necessary now that we know the truth.

Don’t play with knives, kids. And if you accidentally stab yourself, don’t blame your problems on invisible black people.

-------------------------------

Original article

by Matt Novak

Gizmodo, from Buzzfeed

There may be links in the Original Article that have not been reproduced here.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
link   seeder  Bob Nelson    7 years ago

The important point here is not that this guy is an a$$hole and an idiot. There are lots of them, and pretty much everywhere.

What's important is that his phony story was relayed, without precaution, by right-wing media, and of course all over social media. 

Fox News reported "the attack", of course. 

Squirrel!
Freshman Silent
link   Squirrel!  replied to  Bob Nelson   7 years ago

What's important is that his phony story was relayed, without precaution, by right-wing media, and of course all over social media. 

Fox News reported "the attack", of course. 

I wonder 

1. Besides deing a liar and a fAKE, is this guy also a Right Winger?

2. Is TRUMP going to call this out as FAKE NEWS, that HE saw of FOX?

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
link   seeder  Bob Nelson  replied to  Squirrel!   7 years ago

As I said, Squirrel... IMHO this guy is of no importance whatsoever. In a nation of 330 million people, there are going to be a lot of jerks. This guy is just one of many thousands who invent stories to cover their own screw-ups.

But he became important the instant his story was "reported" by the alt-right echo chamber. His story instantly became a "significant truth", for the Unthinking FaithfulTM.

Kavika
Professor Principal
link   Kavika     7 years ago

Alex Jones made a big deal out of this ''attack''....Wonder if the nut case is going to retract his so called story...Of course not, what the hell was I thinking.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
link   seeder  Bob Nelson  replied to  Kavika   7 years ago

What?? A fine journalist like Alex?? Not retract a story he learns is false?

... oh, wait..."learns"...

Never mind...