╌>

UN concerned by reports of forced displacement of Kurds in N.Iraq

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  krishna  •  7 years ago  •  7 comments

UN concerned by reports of forced displacement of Kurds in N.Iraq

de828d3a-83d4-45e3-b97a-90808f8c16bb_16x

A tank of Iraqi army is seen to continue to advance in military vehicles in Kirkuk, Iraq, on October 16, 2017. (Reuters)

The United Nations expressed concern on Thursday at reports by Kurdish officials that civilians, mainly Kurds, were being forcibly displaced in northern Iraq and their houses and businesses looted and destroyed.

“The United Nations urges the Government of Iraq to take every action to halt any violations and ensure that all civilians are protected and that the perpetrators of acts of violence, intimidation and forced displacement of civilians be brought to justice,” the UN Assistance Mission for Iraq said in a statement.

(Link)

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Krishna
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Krishna    7 years ago

About 100,000 Kurds have fled Kirkuk for fear of sectarian reprisals since Iraqi government forces took over the city after a Kurdish independence referendum condemned by Baghdad, regional Kurdish officials said on Thursday.

Another Fine Mess
Freshman Silent
1.1  Another Fine Mess  replied to  Krishna @1    7 years ago

Is anyone really surprised by this?

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
2  Jeremy Retired in NC    7 years ago

The UN is "concerned".  Please remind me, am I supposed to care?  If they are so concerned, then why don't THEY do something?

Jonathan P
Sophomore Silent
2.1  Jonathan P  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @2    7 years ago

They don't have the time. Too busy supporting the Palestinians and attacking Israel. These are more pressing, don'tcha know...

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
2.1.1  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Jonathan P @2.1    7 years ago
Too busy supporting the Palestinians and attacking Israel.

And covering up the atrocities within some of the member countries.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
3  Sunshine    7 years ago

when is the world going to get sick of the middle east?  I can't remember any time that there was any type of civility in the area.  

Krishna
Professor Expert
4  seeder  Krishna    7 years ago

I can't remember any time that there was any type of civility in the area.  

Part od the huge amount of money coming from the Arab countrys' vast oil riches is poured into propaganda-- which is overwhelming & can give westerners a false picture of the situation in the area. However, there is plenty of civility in thebarea-- although we don't hear much about it. 

To cite but one example: