╌>

(Stock Market) Cramer: Crushed retail stocks show some life because 'Amazon can't destroy everybody'

Category:  Stock Market & Investments

Via:  krishna  •  7 years ago  •  2 comments

(Stock Market) Cramer: Crushed retail stocks show some life because 'Amazon can't destroy everybody'
  • Retail stocks are trading higher because investors have realized the "death star" known as Amazon "can't destroy everybody," CNBC's Jim Cramer says.
  • "The death star cannot destroy everyone. Some of them have force fields right now," Cramer says.

"A lot of the retailers are bouncing today because Amazon can't destroy everybody," Cramer said on " Squawk Box " on Friday. Cramer later questioned on " Squawk on the Street " whether retail was really dead based on earnings results.

Gap shares, mentioned by Cramer, were around 6 percent higher Friday after the clothing retailer beat expectations across the board, including  same-store sales.

"You get this number, you have to ask yourself: Is retail really dead?" Cramer said. "(Gap) is a mall-based retailer to a large extent and they're putting up good numbers."

"Some companies are a little less dead" than others, the host of CNBC's "Mad Money" added. "It's not as final. ...The death star cannot destroy everyone. Some of them have force fields right now."

(LINK to article with video)

Full disclosure: I own shares of AMZN and STOR

Disclaimer: Nothing I posted here is a recommendation to buy or sell any stock. Investing is risky-- do your own research!

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Krishna
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Krishna    7 years ago

Much of retail is under pressure from Amazon. It pays to exercise caution when considering buying stocks in that sector. However, all "bricks and mortar" stores will not die...

I am "hedged" (I own shares of STOR and AMZN ). Amazon for growth, STOR for income.  (It currently pays a dividend of ~5% & has some potential for some growth as well). But I'm not recommending buying either-- do your own DD!

Krishna
Professor Expert
2  seeder  Krishna    7 years ago

Recently bought some more STOR. (A bricks and mortar REIT-- but was down due to misconception that all bricks and mortar is dead-- certainly not the case with STOR's holdings).