╌>

After Sandy Hook, More Than 400 People Have Been Shot in Over 200 School Shootings

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  bob-nelson  •  6 years ago  •  8 comments

After Sandy Hook, More Than 400 People Have Been Shot in Over 200 School Shootings

When a gunman killed 20 first graders and six adults with an assault rifle at Sandy Hook Elementary School in 2012, it rattled Newtown, Conn., and reverberated across the world. Since then, there have been at least 239 school shootings nationwide. In those incidents, 438 people were shot, 138 of whom were killed.

The data used here is from the Gun Violence Archive, a nonprofit that began tracking school shootings in 2014, about a year after Sandy Hook.

Screenshot_49.jpg?psid=1

Screenshot_50.jpg?psid=1

The shootings have taken place at sporting events and in parking lots, cafeterias, hallways and classrooms.

A shooting took place Wednesday at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla., about an hour northwest of Miami. As of Wednesday night, 17 people had been killed and the number of people injured was unknown.

Sixteen of the 239 shootings shown below can be classified as mass shootings, events in which four or more people are shot.

On average, there have been about five school shootings each month, including episodes that were not mass shootings.

Screenshot_51.jpg?psid=1

Each of the episodes fall under a definition of “school shooting” used by the Gun Violence Archive.

The nonprofit defines a school shooting as an episode on the property of an elementary school, secondary school or college campus. Another defining characteristic is timing — shootings must occur during school hours or during extracurricular activities.

Only episodes in which people were injured or killed by gunfire are included. Injuries like a leg broken while fleeing the site were not archived.

Police reports often leave out the origin of guns used in school shootings, but researchers say that a significant portion of the guns used in such episodes come from the shooters’ homes.

Many children have access to unlocked guns at home. Data from gun ownership surveys conducted by the Pew Research Center shows that 54 percent of gun owners with children under 18 living at home say they keep all of their guns locked away.

Fourteen states and Washington, D.C., currently have laws that impose criminal liability on those who store guns at home and know “or reasonably should know” that those firearms are accessible to children.

In a study conducted in 2000 by the RAND Corporation, researchers estimated that more than 22 million children live in homes with a firearm.

=============================

Original article

by JUGAL K. PATEL

NYT U. S.

There may be links in the Original Article that have not been reproduced here.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
1  seeder  Bob Nelson    6 years ago

America is a very special nation.

It is the only country in the world where children are regularly murdered at school.

Americans are satisfied with children being massacred.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3  JohnRussell    6 years ago

Gun enthusiasts often fear the government.  They believe their military style weapons are their safeguard against the government hordes. It used to be the "Obama hordes" of inner city savages that the far right feared and prepared to defend their homesteads against, but with Obama gone we can presume the boogeyman is now the violent minions of the "deep state". 

Protecting themselves from imaginary governmental tyranny is evidently more important to them than saving the lives of children. 

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
3.1  1stwarrior  replied to  JohnRussell @3    6 years ago

Serious questions John - do you own any guns?  Have you taken any firearms safety courses?  Have you ever been in the military?

Sadly, your responses will probably be "No" to each question and, that being the case, you don't/can't understand the safety consciousness of registered gun-owners.

As an example - Dad was career military, I was also.  Dad took me to the Army shooting ranges and enrolled me in the Shooter Safety programs, I got involved in competition shooting when I was 10.  In the military, I was on the USMC Rifle/Pistol team, the USCG Rifle/Pistol team, conducted live fire in Vietnam with an M-14, M-60 and .50 Cal and, after the military, I joined local shooting clubs strictly for the competition.

I have one firearm in the house that I keep loaded, safety on, well hidden.  My wife and daughter have no idea where the Browning Hi-Power 9mm pistol is - and they don't want to know.

I respect firearms because I know what type/kinds of damage they can do in the hands of the uneducated/non-safety conscious person.  I will never "force" my wife or daughter to use a firearm because they both abhor them (they're from Venezuela where firearms are "supposed" to be banned), but they respect my desire to offer what protection to the household I can.

The existing laws regarding firearms are strong - IF they are followed.  Unfortunately, some unscrupulous dealers don't follow the Fed regulations.  Cities, such as yours, have the POWER to enforce the firearms laws/regulations, but they don't have the manpower - hence the hoods/gangstra's can get their weapons on choice any damn where they want for whatever amount they can afford.

New laws/regs won't help.  Only self-conscious people and scrupulous dealers will.

You do know that there are more people killed by cars/trains/buses/motorcycles than by firearms, don't you?  Are you in favor of banning them?