╌>

Fresno State Sure Knows How to Pick ‘Em

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  jasper2529  •  6 years ago  •  39 comments

Fresno State Sure Knows How to Pick ‘Em

Source

Ever since the news of Barbara Bush’s passing broke, Americans of all persuasions have rightfully paid tribute to her service and example to the country. But the internet has also been aflame over the   tweets of Randa Jarrar , an English professor at Fresno State University.

Without doubt, Ms. Jarrar has   again   revealed herself to be someone who spouts vile, reprehensible things. But the First Amendment unquestionably protects the right of people to say all sorts of vile, reprehensible, and nasty things. Thus,   David French   and   Ben Shapiro   rightfully point out that she should not, and constitutionally cannot, be fired for what she said about Mrs. Bush.

But lost amidst the furor over these tweets is another, larger point: As nasty as she is, Ms. Jarrar is actually an   improvement   when it comes to professors at Fresno State.

You see, one of her colleagues is   Greg Thatcher . Last May, some pro-life students wrote positive, life-affirming messages on the sidewalks of campus, seeking to promote the sanctity of life and to encourage pregnant and parenting students. And they even had permission to do this from Fresno State.

But Greg Thatcher was having none of it and decided to appoint himself as the roving, one-man speech police. So he confronted Bernadette Tasy, the president of Fresno State Students for Life, demanding that she stop. When she refused to be intimidated, he recruited students from his 8:00 a.m. class and instructed them to erase the messages. When Bernadette confronted him (this time with the camera rolling), he started erasing those messages himself before erroneously declaring that “college campuses are not free speech areas.”

This was so bad that Fresno State refused to defend his actions, and   its president issued a statement supporting the students .

Thanks to his tantrum, Greg Thatcher is now under a   court order   prohibiting him from interfering in any future events Fresno State Students for Life conducts. Plus, he had to pay damages to the group and undergo much-needed First Amendment training.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
1  seeder  Jasper2529    6 years ago

So at Fresno State, students have choices. They can be taught by a professor that says nasty and absurd things. Or they can be taught by a bully who cannot even handle seeing chalked messages with which he disagrees and who does not think twice about trampling students’ constitutional rights. That is, of course, some choice.

But when it comes to professors, Fresno State sure knows how to pick ‘em. And perhaps this is why   it is apparently now scrambling to prevent its donors from fleeing in disgust .

sixpick
Professor Quiet
1.1  sixpick  replied to  Jasper2529 @1    6 years ago

Such is the case with many of these Liberal professors.  They're like someone who can't keep a secret, they can't keep from telling it to everyone.  They can't contain themselves and feel compelled to espouse their beliefs upon their students.  The have the power and they love it.  They love to use that power to project their beliefs upon those they feel they can mold into the people they want them to be.  They don't just teach English or Psychology, they use the power they have to push their beliefs upon the most compromised people closest to them, their students.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
1.1.1  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  sixpick @1.1    6 years ago
The have the power and they love it.  They love to use that power to project their beliefs upon those they feel they can mold into the people they want them to be.  They don't just teach English or Psychology, they use the power they have to push their beliefs upon the most compromised people closest to them, their students.

Educators are expected to teach subject matter through facts and lead their students in discussions that allow varying viewpoints and critical thinking using those facts. Unfortunately, we don't see this happening in Pre-K through post grad education very often anymore.  

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
2  Thrawn 31    6 years ago

She would be gone if I were the university president. 

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
2.1  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  Thrawn 31 @2    6 years ago
She would be gone if I were the university president.

Agreed. If I were president, both "professors" would be fired, because big $$$ donors and alumni are questioning whether or not to continue donating to the school based on these two "professors'" behaviors.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
2.1.1  Thrawn 31  replied to  Jasper2529 @2.1    6 years ago

Indeed, it is a bad look for the school and as the president your job is basically to make sure the $s keep coming. I get people having their opinions and expressing them, but at a certain point (and as a professional) you need to take a step back and ask yourself how what you are about to say/do will affect your and your employer's public perception. I damn well expect a university professor to exhibit more self-control than their students. 

Rmando
Sophomore Silent
3  Rmando    6 years ago

Hopefully there will be enough pressure to at least force her to stay on permanent leave. Maybe she can go on tour with Kathy Griffin.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
4  seeder  Jasper2529    6 years ago

Just found this little gem about Randa Jarrar, In the article is a video of her speaking. Look at how she sits (so feminine) ...

http://www.breitbart.com/tech/2018/04/20/fresno-states-jarrar-i-hate-the-white-patriarchy-but-i-still-suck-white-dck/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5  Sparty On    6 years ago

I once got kicked out of Humanities class for having the temerity to question a liberal Prof.

He was going on and on about how Engineers were ruining the world and we would be better off if Liberal Arts folks ran it.   I listened to that crap for a couple weeks and finally raised my hand to offer my opinion.

Prof i said; "if Liberal Arts people were running the world we'd still be living in caves, scraping our dinner off the walls."

The Dean of Students really enjoyed that story when he gave me the obligatory slap on the wrist.

Ah ... good times!

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1  Tessylo  replied to  Sparty On @5    6 years ago

That cinches it then!  Your one so-called experience is proof positive that all liberal professors are idiots.  

Got it!

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5.1.1  Sparty On  replied to  Tessylo @5.1    6 years ago

Deleted CoC {SP}

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
5.1.2  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  Tessylo @5.1    6 years ago
That cinches it then!  Your one so-called experience is proof positive that all liberal professors are idiots.

Thanks for contributing another uneducated, irrelevant comment to one of my seeds.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5.1.3  Sparty On  replied to  Jasper2529 @5.1.2    6 years ago

She's probably got a thing for you Jasper.  

I know she does for me .....

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.4  Tessylo  replied to  Sparty On @5.1.3    6 years ago

You've got to be kidding.  You flatter yourself, bigly.  Your buddy ( Deleted - CoC {SP} ) said the same thing.

Delusional.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.5  Tessylo  replied to  Sparty On @5.1.3    6 years ago

Skirting the CoC [ph]

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5.1.6  Sparty On  replied to  Tessylo @5.1.4    6 years ago

You've got to be kidding.  You flatter yourself, bigly.  Your buddy (deleted) said the same thing.

Delusional.  

Then go buzz around someone else's tent flap ...... here i'll help you with that.

From this point forward do not respond to me or any of my posts.  

Your comments are devoid of any intrinsic value whatsoever.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
5.1.7  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  Sparty On @5.1.6    6 years ago

Please don't egg her on, Sparty. If you continue, she'll start commenting about rumps and penises. I recently learned that, as a seeder, I'm supposed to "moderate" my seeds. I have no idea how to do this, because I'm not a moderator and don't see any moderator tools at my disposal ... so I'm asking you to ignore her. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.8  Tessylo  replied to  Sparty On @5.1.6    6 years ago

Comment removed for CoC violation [ph]

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5.1.9  Sparty On  replied to  Jasper2529 @5.1.7    6 years ago

You report it i guess.

It's one of the reasons i don't post articles anymore.   I don't have time or desire to be chasing all the wackadoodles around my threads.

No worries though, i fixed the problem.   First time i've done that here.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.10  Texan1211  replied to  Jasper2529 @5.1.7    6 years ago

I think how it works is if you seed an article, you are supposed to flag every comment you disagree with as off topic or being made in bad faith.

I may be wrong on that.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
5.1.11  Spikegary  replied to  Jasper2529 @5.1.7    6 years ago

Easy:  Go to your name in the upper right, click on it, then click on private messages, click on new, then address to Perrie Halpern R.A. (there are 2 different ones).  Link the article and tell her that you have a constant troll that is attacking others and you feel her comments are off topic.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
5.1.12  Spikegary  replied to  Tessylo @5.1.8    6 years ago

Within the CoC and TOS, of course, right?

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
5.1.13  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  Texan1211 @5.1.10    6 years ago
I think how it works is if you seed an article, you are supposed to flag every comment you disagree with as off topic or being made in bad faith.

I've tried, but this is the bizarre pop-up window NT gives me:

invalid location redirect token received - please try again

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
5.1.14  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  Spikegary @5.1.11    6 years ago

Thanks, Gary. You've been a big help to me several times since I joined a few months ago, and I really appreciate it. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
5.1.15  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Tessylo @5.1.8    6 years ago

Tessylo, 

No you can not do as you please. What sparty basically did (and I will explain how it should have been done), is call an impasse. Sparty told you not to address them, and they are entitled to do that, per the CoC. 

Sparty, in the future, call impasse. That is supposed to stop all discussion with an individual. 

As for the commentary that followed, it only serves to incite more bad behavior. Do not do that anymore. Wait for a mod to show up and we will take care of the problem. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5.1.16  Sparty On  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @5.1.15    6 years ago

Okay, first time i've done that so wasn't sure how it worked.

For the record i disengaged after my "impasse" call.   No more posts from me to her after that.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
5.2  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  Sparty On @5    6 years ago
finally raised my hand to offer my opinion.

There's a plethora of evidence proving that differing opinions are not allowed in liberal academia.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5.2.1  Sparty On  replied to  Jasper2529 @5.2    6 years ago

True but i have to admit, while working towards my degree i felt those liberal arts classes were a total waste of time.   The older i got the more i realized they weren't.   Most of my liberal arts Profs were pretty good.   I had more pricks for the technical classes than i did in those.   But the ones like i mentioned were really doozies that's for sure.

Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו
Junior Participates
5.2.2  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Jasper2529 @5.2    6 years ago
There's a plethora of evidence proving that differing opinions are not allowed in liberal academia.

Yes, and it all comes from the rightwing funnel of puke.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
5.2.3  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @5.2.2    6 years ago
Yes, and it all comes from the rightwing funnel of puke.

Using reputable links, please prove that all of Right Wing academia shuts down opposing views. I eagerly await your evidence.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
5.2.4  Spikegary  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @5.2.2    6 years ago

Deleted - Skirting {SP}

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5.2.5  Sparty On  replied to  Jasper2529 @5.2.3    6 years ago

Lol, don't hold your breath for that .....

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5.2.6  Sparty On  replied to  Jasper2529 @5.2.3    6 years ago

Hopefully you weren't holding your breath ....winking

Tex Stankley
Freshman Silent
6  Tex Stankley    6 years ago

Lemme just tell you a little story. 

Back in the 70's Bob Jones University had a Byzantine Religious art and icon show at their museum.   Or, on campus anyhow.  Never got that far.

I'm gonna make this real short as I don't have a set of mind to regale the peanut gallery with long pedantic porch right now.   Maybe later.   Maybe never.

So, I get together with a pard of mine from down in the swamps to go up north and see that shit.  Both of us being banjo art boys and all.

So we load up my '57 Chevy Apache with food, camping gear, books, art supplies, our guns and knives, music for the road, guitars, girls phone numbers.  All the shit young rounders and hair boys from the deep south were wont to tote in our trucks.

We drive all  the way the hell northward, get there and are refused entrance into their campus (gulag?) due to our looking too much like Jesus.  They wouldn't even let us drive in to turn around. 

That may not be indicative of the entire spectrum of right wing corlidge dickwittery but it certainly left a bad taste in my mouth for that sort of thing.

Back in those daze I got thrown out of a number of so called polite society venues so figure that in as well.  

Got shown the exit from live channel 19 wrassling for cheering for the bad guys and later that same year got thrown out of a tent revival for asking questions of Little Micheal.   Or, whoever it was.  

Did not get thrown out of UAB when a grand pooby poodah of the Klan spoke and a bunch of us anarchists and young revolutionaries showed up to question the entire logic of race hatred from a class struggle point of view.   That was a liberal venue.   Well, liberal for the Hart of Dixie anyhow.....

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
6.1  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  Tex Stankley @6    6 years ago

Although it's not clear how or why your 1970s experience at the entrance to a private school in South Carolina is relevant to what two radical left-wing professors have done/said in 2018 at Fresno State University (a public school in CA), I do thank you for commenting on my seed.

Tex Stankley
Freshman Silent
6.1.1  Tex Stankley  replied to  Jasper2529 @6.1    6 years ago

Why, thank you kindly.   

Ponder on it in the long term.  Not just in the quarterly profit mode.   Maybe correlation and historical perspective will triumph.  Perhaps not.  It doesn't really matter does it?  

best your way.

cha togar m'fhearg gun dioladh