╌>

GQ magazine puts Bible on list of classic books not worth reading, incurs the wrath of Christians

Category:  Mental Health and Wellness

Via:  yuk-phoo  •  6 years ago  •  25 comments

GQ magazine puts Bible on list of classic books not worth reading, incurs the wrath of Christians

Source

Well, it appears this group of scribes won’t be greeted very warmly at the Pearly Gates.

GQ magazine, a bible of “grooming” tips, gadget suggestions and style advice, has sparked a social media conflagration by calling the Christian Holy Bible “foolish, repetitive and contradictory” and placing it on a list of “21 Books You Don’t Have to Read.”

“The Holy Bible is rated very highly by all the people who supposedly live by it but who in actuality have not read it,” novelist Jesse Ball writes in the magazine. “Those who have read it know there are some good parts, but overall it is certainly not the finest thing that man has ever produced.”

Instead, Ball recommends reading Agota Kristof's The Notebook calling it “a marvelous tale of two brothers who have to get along when things get rough.”

Also on the GQ list are such classics as The Catcher in the Rye, Lonesome Dove, The Old Man and the Sea, Adventures of Huckleberry Finn and The Lord of the Rings.

In an introduction to the piece, GQ editors attempted justify their choices. "We've been told all our lives that we can only call ourselves well-read once we've read the Great Books. We tried," the editors wrote.

"We realized that not all the Great Books have aged well. Some are racist and some are sexist, but most are just really, really boring.”

Perhaps predictably, the provocative proclamation about the Bible brought instant ire from Christians.

"Even if you don't believe this is an inspired word of God, in the last 50 years 3.9 billion have read the book," Fox News religion contributor Father Jonathan Morris told Fox & Friends on Sunday. Morris also labeled the inclusion as “just foolish and a shame.”

.@fatherjonathan: It’s ‘foolish’ that the editors of GQ Magazine would claim that the bible is one of the most overrated books of all time pic.twitter.com/rY7vhbTWkx
— FOX & friends (@foxandfriends) April 22, 2018

And evangelist Franklin Graham, in a post on Facebook, said that the Bible is “sharper than a double-edged sword. There’s nothing more powerful, and there’s nothing more needed by mankind than the Word of God.”

Graham suggested that the GQ editors need to read it again. “The subject of the Bible, from Genesis to Revelation, is Jesus Christ. And one day soon, every knee will bow and every tongue confess that He is Lord.”

On Twitter, a user called Bluestar called GQ “The Most Overrated Magazine Of All Time!” and said the choice was an “epic fail.”

Another poster, who identified himself as Eric Metaxas, also slammed the magazine. “If there is a person on the planet who cares what @GQMagazine has to say about literature, I'd love to meet that person,” said. “And pray for him.”

Meanwhile, Twitter user David D raged that “This Act by GQ is a total disgrace to the Christain (sic) Community.”

“I really don't think I'll be buying anymore GQ Mags,” he proclaimed.

And in perhaps the cruelest jab at the magazine, Tweeter Brian Houston declared that the Bible “is way more hip than GQ.”

GQ did not immediately respond to a request for a comment.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
1  seeder  Hal A. Lujah    6 years ago

Graham suggested that the GQ editors need to read it again. “The subject of the Bible, from Genesis to Revelation, is Jesus Christ. And one day soon, every knee will bow and every tongue confess that He is Lord.”

Sounds a lot like what a certain lunatic on this site would say.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1  Gordy327  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @1    6 years ago
Sounds a lot like what a certain lunatic on this site would say.

Gee, now whom might that be? LOL

epistte
Junior Guide
1.2  epistte  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @1    6 years ago
“The subject of the Bible, from Genesis to Revelation, is Jesus Christ.

I may be a godless beotch but I don't remember Jesus being mentioned in Genesis, or Leviticus, among many other Old Testament books.

Once again the best support for atheism is conservative Christianity.

The Bible is the best selling work of historical fiction. It's also the most bloody.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
2  bbl-1    6 years ago

"Meanwhile, Twitter user David D raged that, "This Act by GQ is a total disgrace to the Christain sic Community."

Well.  Other than being from a Betsy DeVos education camp that spells ( christian ) incorrectly-----------the only disgrace to the christian community are the Shadow Walking christians that currently infest it.

Besides, did not Trump's Omarosa claim that, "Everyone will bow and kneel to Trump?"  So much for that Jesus thing, right?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3  JohnRussell    6 years ago

I'm not impressed by GQ's take on this. Smells like a publicity stunt. 

My favorite work of fiction is One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey.

My favorite non-fiction would probably have to be Alive by Piers Paul Read, the story of the plane crash in the Andes Mountains where the surviving members of a rugby team tried to survive for 72 days without much food in a surrounding of cold ice and snow. Incredibly moving story. 

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
3.1  bbl-1  replied to  JohnRussell @3    6 years ago

Not a publicity stunt.  The bible has become its own political publicity stunt.

Drakkonis
Professor Guide
4  Drakkonis    6 years ago

I don't know why people bother with things like this. Some guy has an opinion about the Bible. And? 

luther28
Sophomore Silent
5  luther28    6 years ago

And in perhaps the cruelest jab at the magazine, Tweeter Brian Houston declared that the Bible “is way more hip than GQ

As a heathen I am surprised that I actually find it more relevant than GQ. But then I'm no gentleman and both are works of fiction.

DRHunk
Freshman Silent
6  DRHunk    6 years ago

The bible would be a much better representation of the values Christianity is trying to portray if it removed the Old Testaments. I have read the Old Testaments cover to cover and found it so appalling i didn't even bother to read the New Testaments in its entirety.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
6.1  bbl-1  replied to  DRHunk @6    6 years ago

The New Testament was invented to replace the Old Testament which was...........cruel, unbelievable, confusing, immoral, strange and even more cruel.  If left to stand on its own The Old Testament would have ended up in one of Ben Carson's pyramid grain silos as a door stop.

Pedro
Professor Participates
6.1.1  Pedro  replied to  bbl-1 @6.1    6 years ago
cruel, unbelievable, confusing, immoral, strange and even more cruel

It's funny. That is pretty much my description for the new testament as well.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
6.1.2  bbl-1  replied to  Pedro @6.1.1    6 years ago

Well.  At least The new Testament does have 'compassionate lessons' of sorts.  And shies away from the 'shellfish, incest and poking out people's eyes' and other weird stuff. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  DRHunk @6    6 years ago

But the Old Testament has sex and violence. The only thing missing is the rock n roll

Pedro
Professor Participates
6.2.1  Pedro  replied to  Trout Giggles @6.2    6 years ago

There are stones. Does that count?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.2.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  Pedro @6.2.1    6 years ago

LOL!

But did any of them roll? Oh, wait....

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
7  Freefaller    6 years ago
Well, it appears this group of scribes won’t be greeted very warmly at the Pearly Gates.

I seriously doubt that this is much of a concern.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
8  MrFrost    6 years ago

For a book that is supposedly the word of God, there sure seem to be a lot of different versions. Looks to me like the HUMANS changed the book to fit their own needs.....Oh wait, that's the whole idea of the bible in the first place. 

epistte
Junior Guide
8.1  epistte  replied to  MrFrost @8    6 years ago
or a book that is supposedly the word of God, there sure seem to be a lot of different versions. Looks to me like the HUMANS changed the book to fit their own needs.....Oh wait, that's the whole idea of the bible in the first place.

Which one of the gospels was written by God because they most definitely do not agree?  Did God also write Genesis, Acts, the letters of Paul, Romans, Deuteronomy, and Leviticus, among others when he was off his meds because if one person wrote all of them they have more personalities than even Stephen King could imagine?

How did God inspire the writing of the Bible, if they have been edited many times over the past 2000 years?  Did god agree to those edits?

Did god attend the Council of Nicea when the basic tenants of Christianity were determined?

MrFrost
Professor Expert
8.1.1  MrFrost  replied to  epistte @8.1    6 years ago
How did God inspire the writing of the Bible, if they have been edited many times over the past 2000 years?  Did god agree to those edits?

Twitter feed maybe? laughing dude

epistte
Junior Guide
8.1.2  epistte  replied to  MrFrost @8.1.1    6 years ago

That makes as much sense as the rest of the bible.

charger 383
Professor Silent
9  charger 383    6 years ago

read it, read some history, watch some TV preachers and think; it just does not fit together.   

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
9.1  seeder  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  charger 383 @9    6 years ago

Coincidentally, I seeded something about that just recently.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
10  sandy-2021492    6 years ago
"Even if you don't believe this is an inspired word of God, in the last 50 years 3.9 billion have read the book," Fox News religion contributor Father Jonathan Morris told Fox & Friends on Sunday. Morris also labeled the inclusion as “just foolish and a shame.”

A lot of people read Fifty Shades of Gray, too.  

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
10.1  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  sandy-2021492 @10    6 years ago

I still question which one of the many books in the Bible Yahweh is suppose to have written or, inspired.