╌>

Indian Country Relay Racing, No place for old men or wimps...

Category:  Sports

By:  kavika  •  6 years ago  •  32 comments

Indian Country Relay Racing, No place for old men or wimps...

The season start of ''Indian Relay Racing'' will be on full display this coming week. 

The basic rules of Indian Relay Racing..

The rules of Indian relay racing, generally simple, can vary somewhat from event to event. Teams are composed of four people and three horses. Team members are usually all from the same reservation, and often are members of the same family. Any breed of horse may be entered into the race, but thoroughbreds are the most common breed. Many are retired racehorses from the thoroughbred industry. Only one team member competes as jockey, riding all three horses in succession.

Another team member serves as the “grabber,” catching each finishing horse as the jockey dismounts. The other two team members are “holders” who try to contain and quiet the second and third horses along the rail until it’s time for their legs of the relay.

Some events require riders to dress in Native regalia, while others don’t. All races are ridden bareback; something Indian kids do routinely, which bears testimony to their riding ability. Racers start from a mark on the track rather than from starting gates, and jockeys remain afoot until a starter signals them to leap aboard their first horse—and then it’s off to the races.

Indian Relay Racing has become more and more popular the last decade, but it's origins are lost in time. The one thing that remains constant is the Indians truly are ''The Horse People''....

1355c9726add7d7ea1d0e86deec1c4e4.jpg

fd0f78e46c8f9d7d5bdb75c795c451e1.jpg

hore-relay-credit-Diana-Volk.jpg?fit=844

dsc_3430-2.jpg

Indian relay racing has come a long way since I was a kid racing in a pasture... A lot of broken bones and thrills...Nothing like being on the back of your 1,000 lb horse running out of control, no saddle and fighting to stay on board and get to the exchange first where more danger awaits you. 

Ya just gotta love it. 

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Kavika
Professor Principal
1  author  Kavika     6 years ago

Anyone ready go give it a try?

mangide`ewin

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2  JohnRussell    6 years ago

Very cool.  That is a mile track and they went around it twice so it was a two mile race. The winner made the best exchanges. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1  author  Kavika   replied to  JohnRussell @2    6 years ago

Actually they went around three times JR...Yup, the exchanges are critical and damn dangerous...

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Kavika @2.1    6 years ago

I think they had exchanges on both the near and the far side of the track (grandstand side and backstretch) , Each rider rode 4 horses and they changed after every half mile. Unless I was mis seeing something. 

Split Personality
Professor Guide
2.1.2  Split Personality  replied to  Kavika @2.1    6 years ago

Damn, I had money on the kid in the yellow shirt....lol.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1.3  author  Kavika   replied to  Split Personality @2.1.2    6 years ago

Thanks for your donation SP...LOL

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
3  Raven Wing    6 years ago

We used to go to these kind of races when we lived in Pawhuska OK. The races were held in an old abandoned rodeo grounds near the Indian Reservations, and participated in by the Cherokee, Osage, Pawnee and Ponca, so that the towns people could come and see them. The horses were all decked out with paint and feathers, and the riders wore their Tribal regalia. 

Betting was a serious business among the visitors, and as I was only 8 y/o at the time, there was little interest on that, I was only there for the races. However, we kids had our own choice riders, and we rooted for them loud and clear. (grin)

Since moving away from Pawhuska I have missed them, and would love to see them in person again and enjoy the excitement. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.1  author  Kavika   replied to  Raven Wing @3    6 years ago

They are exciting, no doubt about that RW.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4  Perrie Halpern R.A.    6 years ago

I have never seen this before. How exciting!! Riding bareback takes a lot of skill and muscle. 

I've got to go to one of these. How do you find out where and when they take place?

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.1  author  Kavika   replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4    6 years ago

Most take place in MN, the Dakota's, Montana and Wyoming and central Canada. I don't believe that there are any on the east coast, it's a plains Indian thingy. 

Your's truly is a charter members of the club...

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.1.1  author  Kavika   replied to  Kavika @4.1    6 years ago

I forgot, also add Oklahoma...In fact there are more and more states that are sponsoring the races. It's now billed as the Number 1 extreme sport in the US..

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
5  dave-2693993    6 years ago

Great contest.

Have to admit my favorite part include the first photo and the background scenes in the remaining photos of the exchanges.. 

What a handful.

Kavika
Professor Principal
5.1  author  Kavika   replied to  dave-2693993 @5    6 years ago
What a handful.

To say the least dave. It's a hell of a ''ride''.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
5.1.1  dave-2693993  replied to  Kavika @5.1    6 years ago

Gives new meaning to the phrase "shut up and ride".

nightwalker
Sophomore Silent
6  nightwalker    6 years ago

I bet by the time it's over, EVERYONE including the horses and the audience are worn out for the rest of the day. Well, maybe enough energy left to party a little, but that's it. Really must be something to see in person.

Kavika
Professor Principal
6.1  author  Kavika   replied to  nightwalker @6    6 years ago

It's a hell of a day. If you are part of the race, jockey/handler/catcher and survive without a trip to emergency you can party till you drop...LOL

Enoch
Masters Quiet
7  Enoch    6 years ago

Dear Brother and Very Close Friend Kavika:  Past a certain point in time it is very hard to comprehend North American history minus the relationships between the horse and Indigenous Populations. As well for inhabitants of greater Mongolia and their horses.

Horse riding skill sets and survival are intimately intertwined.

These and Mongolian festivals reflect such.

Great article.

Super activities.

The closest we come to that where I reside is going to Jay's Diner. Consuming their Five Alarm Chili. Then driving home in bumper to bumper traffic in time to reach a rest room.

That is a separate group of control and riding skill sets.

Enoch, Playing, "Beat the Clock".

Kavika
Professor Principal
7.1  author  Kavika   replied to  Enoch @7    6 years ago
Past a certain point in time it is very hard to comprehend North American history minus the relationships between the horse and Indigenous Populations. As well for inhabitants of greater Mongolia and their horses.

Indians and Mongols have the same relationship with their horses. We are one.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
8  sandy-2021492    6 years ago

I'd do it if not for the exchanges stunned

Kavika
Professor Principal
8.1  author  Kavika   replied to  sandy-2021492 @8    6 years ago
I'd do it if not for the exchanges

LOL, hey Sandy that's part of the race. Can't have one without the other.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
8.1.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Kavika @8.1    6 years ago

Well, then.  Maybe someday when I'm retired and don't have to worry about missing work while bones heal.

Kavika
Professor Principal
8.1.2  author  Kavika   replied to  sandy-2021492 @8.1.1    6 years ago

Ha, good plan Sandy..Laugh

Kavika
Professor Principal
8.1.3  author  Kavika   replied to  Kavika @8.1.2    6 years ago

The exchanges can be a bit rough on one...

determination.jpg

Sparty On
Professor Principal
9  Sparty On    6 years ago

Cool!  

Would have been nice to try back in the day when i wasn't old and fat but honestly, even as crazy i was back then, not sure i would have.

winking

Kavika
Professor Principal
9.1  author  Kavika   replied to  Sparty On @9    6 years ago
even as crazy i was back then, not sure i would have.

LOL, well you do have to be a bit on the wild side to do it. But, if you're raised around/on horses it isn't nearly as crazy as it looks...Well, maybe it is. Happy

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
10  Greg Jones    6 years ago

Riding a horse bareback is one of scariest things I've ever done. Once this horse got scent of the barn I was not able to hold her back. Quick changes of direction didn't help, but somehow I managed to hold on! Adrenaline will do that for ya!

Kavika
Professor Principal
10.1  author  Kavika   replied to  Greg Jones @10    6 years ago
Adrenaline will do that for ya!

LOL, yup and a healthy dose of fear/panic and seeing your life pass before your eyes will do it as well.

Enoch
Masters Quiet
10.2  Enoch  replied to  Greg Jones @10    6 years ago

Dear Friend Greg Jones: Adrenaline helps with other forms of bare back riding not involving horses.

But I digress from the topic at hand.

Enoch, Fondly Recalling Harder Times.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
10.2.1  Greg Jones  replied to  Enoch @10.2    6 years ago

I know what you mean....Giggle  

Oh the sweet memories.... peace 2