╌>

Trump Grants Posthumous Pardon To Boxing Heavyweight Jack Johnson

Category:  Sports

Via:  johnrussell  •  6 years ago  •  5 comments

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump has granted a rare posthumous pardon to boxing’s first black heavyweight champion more than 100 years after what Trump said many feel was a racially motivated injustice.

Jack Johnson was convicted in 1913 by an all-white jury for violating the Mann Act, which made it illegal to transport women across state lines for “immoral” purposes.

Trump was joined by boxer Lennox Lewis and actor Sylvester Stallone as he announced the decision.

Johnson is a legendary figure in boxing, who crossed over into popular culture decades ago with biographies, dramas and documentaries following the civil rights era.

He died in 1946. His great-great niece had been pressing for a posthumous pardon.

Sen. John McCain and former Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid had also pushed Johnson’s case for years.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    6 years ago

This strikes me as something that is basically meaningless.  Do the descendants of Jack Johnson really feel a great sense of appreciation towards Donald Trump?  I seriously doubt it. 

People like Johnson who were unjustly punished need to be "pardoned" during their lifetimes, not 100 years later. 

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
1.1  SteevieGee  replied to  JohnRussell @1    6 years ago

This is his way of saying "Hey see?  I like black people."  without actually helping any black people. I'd be impressed if he pardoned someone black who is actually alive and innocent.  (There are many.)

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
2  Spikegary    6 years ago

So, why didn't anyone else pardon him?  His great-great niece continued the fight and the President honored her request.  A victory for her and her family. 

Of course, it's unimportant to you because of who signed the Pardon.

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
3  Dean Moriarty    6 years ago

A good thing to do. Miles Davis Tribute to Jack Johnson is a good listen for today.