╌>

Happy Fathers day!

Category:  Other

By:  kathleen  •  6 years ago  •  19 comments

Happy Fathers day!

Happy Father's Day to all you Dad's and Grandfathers out there.

I hope you have a great day!

Please, No politics or religion and be positive and polite. 

Thank you.

Article is LOCKED by author/seeder
[]

CB
Professor Principal
3  CB    6 years ago

Happy Father's Day, everybody!

PJ
Masters Quiet
4  PJ    6 years ago

Happy fathers day!

Short history and timeline about Father's Day.  

History of Father’s Day

Father’s Day was first introduced in Spokane, Washington, by Sonora Smart Dodd. Ms. Dodd first proposed the idea of Father’s Day when her pastor gave a passionate speech about Mother’s Day and the importance of mothers.

Ms. Dodd went to her pastor and explained that her father, who was a Civil War Veteran, had raised 6 children as a single parent and that fathers deserved a holiday just as much as mothers did. Father’s Day was proposed by Ms. Dodd to be on the Fifth of June, the birthday of her father; but the pastor had not prepared their sermons in time and thus Father’s Day was postponed until the third Sunday of June.

The holiday did not stick right away and the citizens of Spokane forgot about Father’s Day until Ms. Dodd graduated from college in the 1930’s and began promoting Father’s Day on a national level. She enlisted the help of manufacturers of ties, tobacco pipes, and any industry that would benefit the most from the adoption of Father’s Day.

In 1916, President Woodrow Wilson went to Spokane to speak in a Father’s Day celebration, and wanted to make Father’s Day a national holiday. Congress resisted, and it was not until 1966 that President Lyndon B. Johnson issued the first presidential proclamation honoring fathers. It was not until 1972 that President Richard Nixon actually signed Father’s Day into Law.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
4.2  Spikegary  replied to  PJ @4    6 years ago

Interesting, I had never thought about where it originated from.  Thank you.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
5  Perrie Halpern R.A.    6 years ago

Happy Father's day to all you dad's and grand dads!

Old Hermit
Sophomore Silent
6  Old Hermit    6 years ago

Happy Fathers day to all my fellow Mother Lovers.

On Fathers day I always treat myself to songs from one of my favorite wordsmiths, Loudon Wainwright III.

The first one, "Being a Dad", is pure Fathers day tribute stuff, (with the sly wainwright twist), the rest can be best be described as "A Fathers View" on the ups and downs of raising sons and daughters.

CB
Professor Principal
6.1  CB  replied to  Old Hermit @6    6 years ago

Swell songs. I enjoyed all four of them. # 1 took me on a mental journey, # 2, and # 4 were cute and sorrowful, respectively. So enjoyable.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
7  Raven Wing    6 years ago

th4.jpg

Enoch
Masters Quiet
8  Enoch    6 years ago

Thanks to all those wishing us Dads and Grandads Happy Fathers Day.

My best wishes to all the other Dads and/or Grand Dads out there in News Talkers land.

Generationally Yours, Enoch

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
9  Spikegary    6 years ago

This being my first year without him, my brothers and I all feel a hole where there wasn't one last Father's Day.  My lady friend helped my dog, Rain send me a tie with prints of her on it....Picture will be loaded later.  Brightened up my day.  We are meeting enmass at the Lake House over July 4th week to celebrate my dad's life.

To all of you who are fathers, stepfathers, grandfathers, I hope you had a wonderful day absorbing the love and warmth from your family members. 

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
9.1  Spikegary  replied to  Spikegary @9    6 years ago

received_2013257425351106.jpeg

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
9.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Spikegary @9.1    6 years ago

Cool tie

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
9.1.3  Spikegary  replied to  Kathleen @9.1.2    6 years ago

I thought it was a pretty cool idea, the lady says I don't have to wear it, but you know I will next time I put on a suit!

CB
Professor Principal
9.1.4  CB  replied to  Spikegary @9.1.3    6 years ago

A great conversation starter!

luther28
Sophomore Silent
10  luther28    6 years ago

A belated thank you, Kathleen:)