╌>

San Francisco's downtown area is more contaminated with drug needles, garbage, and feces than some of the world's poorest slums

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  96ws6  •  6 years ago  •  40 comments

San Francisco's downtown area is more contaminated with drug needles, garbage, and feces than some of the world's poorest slums

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

San Francisco is one of the most exciting, dynamic, and richest cities in the world.

But it's far from being the cleanest.

In February, the  NBC Bay Area Investigative Unit   spent three days surveying 153 blocks of downtown San Francisco to see what they would find. Their search turned up drug needles, garbage, and feces in concentrations comparable to some of the world's poorest slums.

On a recent commute to Business Insider's office in San Francisco, I took a detour through the Tenderloin neighborhood, where NBC conducted its survey, to see how the claim held up.

The survey found trash littered across every block."While some streets were littered with items as small as a candy wrapper, the vast majority of trash found included large heaps of garbage, food, and discarded junk," NBC Bay Area  said

Discarded needles were scattered across 41 blocks.

A whopping 91 blocks were dirtied with feces. The investigation found over 300 piles.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

96WS6
Junior Quiet
1  seeder  96WS6    6 years ago

I thought this city was a liberal utopia?

Rmando
Sophomore Silent
2  Rmando    6 years ago

The DNC should have their convention there without ordering a clean up or a crackdown on the homeless. Just show the real city in all its "glory".

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
4  Jasper2529    6 years ago

I've visited San Fran many times and was always impressed by how clean it was. It's a shame that Nancy Pelosi doesn't care about the city she represents and calls "home". Oh, wait ... her main home is in SF's Pacific Heights  ...

In 2013, Pacific Heights was named the most expensive neighborhood in the United States. The article stated that if San Francisco's Pacific Heights had its own zip code, it would be the most expensive place to live in the United States. [6]  The 94115 zip code includes both Pacific Heights' "Gold Coast", an area famous for its billionaire residents and record-breaking prices

96WS6
Junior Quiet
4.1  seeder  96WS6  replied to  Jasper2529 @4    6 years ago

Yea I was there about 20 years ago and it was great.... It took them a long time to destroy Detroit too.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
4.1.1  Jasper2529  replied to  96WS6 @4.1    6 years ago
Yea I was there about 20 years ago and it was great....

I had relatives who lived in the SF suburbs, and on one of my visits around 30 years ago we followed a detailed walking tour that the NYT recommended. We saw all of the city's districts and thoroughly enjoyed it. There's no amount of money that could entice me to go there now.

It took them a long time to destroy Detroit too.

Plus other predominantly Democrat-controlled cities like Chicago, Baltimore, Los Angeles, and Philly (among others).  

96WS6
Junior Quiet
4.1.2  seeder  96WS6  replied to  Jasper2529 @4.1.1    6 years ago

Here is a list of the 10 cities with the HIGHEST POVERTY RATE IN THE COUNTRY.  Guess what they ALL have in common...

Detroit, MI (1st on the poverty rate list) hasn’t elected
a Republican mayor since 1961;

Buffalo, NY (2nd) hasn’t elected one since 1954;

Cincinnati, OH (3rd)… since 1984;

Cleveland, OH (4th)… since 1989;

Miami, FL (5th) has never had a Republican Mayor;

St. Louis, MO (6th)…. since 1949;

El Paso, TX (7th) has never had a Republican Mayor;

Milwaukee, WI (8th)… since 1908;

Philadelphia, PA (9th)… since 1952;

Newark, NJ (10th)… since 1907.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.3  Texan1211  replied to  96WS6 @4.1.2    6 years ago

Man, it sure doesn't sound like Democrats are evenly distributing their wealth in those cities!

PJ
Masters Quiet
4.1.4  PJ  replied to  96WS6 @4.1.2    6 years ago

Sadly, you are correct to assert these cities have not been managed very well and they desperately need some tough love but I think after what happened in Michigan in which the republicans in charge actively and intentionally poisoned their poorest residents, your suggestion may not go over well.

PJ
Masters Quiet
4.1.6  PJ  replied to  XDm9mm @4.1.5    6 years ago

I probably would have suggested that they not take that inherited pile of shit and put it in the water pipes.  

Intentionally trying to slowly kill your constituents is probably not a good political agenda or platform.

96WS6
Junior Quiet
4.1.7  seeder  96WS6  replied to  PJ @4.1.4    6 years ago

I live in MI PJ and I know for a fact that is bullshit the systems lead pipe problems have been festering from decades of neglect.  

experts say that claims from Clinton and Sanders that focus on Snyder alone oversimplify matters -- and give a partisan spin to what is more fairly characterized as a broad failure of governance at all levels. Such one-sided accounts gloss over the responsibility borne by local Flint officials who supported the decision, by an EPA that failed to press harder for changes as the problem worsened, and by officials of both parties who contributed to the longstanding fiscal problems at both the state and city level.  

AND NEVER MIND WHY THE CITY NEEDED AN EMERGENCY MANAGER IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!!  RIGHT? crazy

PJ
Masters Quiet
4.1.8  PJ  replied to  96WS6 @4.1.7    6 years ago

(Deleted)

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.9  Texan1211  replied to  PJ @4.1.8    6 years ago

So local officials who ignored the problem for decades are blameless?

Wow.

PJ
Masters Quiet
4.1.10  PJ  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.9    6 years ago

Ummmm.......did I say that, NO.  Let me see if I can clarify for you.

• Previous leaders were not good managers
  • Previous leaders are no longer in charge or able to change policies
  • Current leaders are able to CORRECT past bad policies
  • Current leaders chose to double down and add to the pile of shit.

Let me know if you still do not understand.

PJ
Masters Quiet
4.1.12  PJ  replied to  XDm9mm @4.1.11    6 years ago

There are quite a number of Americans that have drank something but it ain't me.  devil

koolaide.jpg

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.13  Texan1211  replied to  PJ @4.1.10    6 years ago

4.1.8 PJ replied to 96WS6 @4.1.7 13 minutes ago
Your response is unfortunate but on par with the republican denials ( Removed for context )You may want to think about moving elsewhere because your tax dollars will be paying for the mental and physical health conditions these people contracted under republican rule.
This republican tactic to blame those previously in charge when they have every opportunity to apply new policies and correct any decisions made previously. I'm not surprised to see this is the new republican strategy....deny, deny, deny and point at others even when they are in charge.
You should run for office. You've got the talking points down perfectly.

1 REPLY

Read and understood your statement just fine, thanks.

Are Democrats now going to blame the GOP for something that took DECADES of neglect under Democrats to manifest?

SMMFH

PJ
Masters Quiet
4.1.14  PJ  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.13    6 years ago
SMMFH

Read all of my posts please.  If you're too lazy to read all my opinions on this thread then don't engage me.  I'm not going to give a summary of my past comments every time before I post a new comment.  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.15  Texan1211  replied to  PJ @4.1.14    6 years ago

I have. Hence my comments.

is there something about that YOU don't understand?

If you don't like my comments, nothing is stopping you from ignoring them.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4.1.17  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.15    6 years ago

OK everyone calm yourselves down and try to keep to the discussion and not each other or they use of hyperbole. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.18  Texan1211  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4.1.17    6 years ago

I am calm, Perrie. I AM sticking to the subject.

I didn't engage in anything like suggesting the poster was too lazy to read or unable to understand until they first attacked me.

PJ
Masters Quiet
4.1.19  PJ  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4.1.17    6 years ago

I don't think intentionally poisoning it's own constituents can be described any other way than trying to murder them.  That's not hyperbole, it's science.

People will die due to the actions or lack thereof of the republicans that took over.  

But I will disengage since this is not going anywhere.  You can lead a horse to water (I recommend not in MI though) but you can't make them drink it.

PJ
Masters Quiet
4.1.20  PJ  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.18    6 years ago

I apologize Texan.  I shouldn't have called you lazy.  I could have expressed it differently.

I will disengage.  We are at an impasse.

PJ
Masters Quiet
4.1.21  PJ  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.18    6 years ago

Well I got a violation so you should be happy about that.  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.22  Texan1211  replied to  PJ @4.1.21    6 years ago

I am not happy about it at all. I don't care about silly violations.

Why would I be happy about it???

96WS6
Junior Quiet
4.1.23  seeder  96WS6  replied to  PJ @4.1.10    6 years ago

I can actually agree with that, some very bad decisions were made that toppled a system that was already a house of cards.

96WS6
Junior Quiet
4.1.24  seeder  96WS6  replied to  PJ @4.1.4    6 years ago

I give you credit for at least admitting all of these cities have been managed poorly, I just can't understand why you would continue to vote for them.

PJ
Masters Quiet
4.1.25  PJ  replied to  96WS6 @4.1.24    6 years ago

Whether you believe me or not, I'm not a democrat 96 - I'm an independent and I've voted republican as well as democratic depending on the issue and the political environment at the time.

96WS6
Junior Quiet
4.1.26  seeder  96WS6  replied to  PJ @4.1.25    6 years ago

I'm glad to hear that.  It is the only responsible way to vote!  

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4.2  Sean Treacy  replied to  Jasper2529 @4    6 years ago

On the road to Venezuela...

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
4.2.1  Jasper2529  replied to  Sean Treacy @4.2    6 years ago
On the road to Venezuela...

One city at a time.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
6  Spikegary    6 years ago

Little wonder the non city dwellers want to become a separate state form what is now California, not being represented well by their elected politicians and having to put up with being identified with the shit dwellers from the cities.

owlsview677
Freshman Silent
7  owlsview677    6 years ago

At one time, San Francisco was a Madam, now it shares whorehood with Los Angeles. Wish it was the other way around but that would have been unnatural for any community dominated by extremists.

96WS6
Junior Quiet
8  seeder  96WS6    6 years ago

...So their solution to this is jail time for plastic straws.  You can't even make this shit up.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
9  Dismayed Patriot    6 years ago

The reality is that most of the city is clean, vibrant and a major tourist attraction. But, just like in any home, the kitchen may be clean but if you look in the garbage you're going to find garbage. Yes, there are parts of the city where the majority of homeless live and there are fewer clean up crews because they aren't the main arteries of the city, but they certainly don't represent the vast majority of the city. In contrast I've seen plenty of rural towns where the whole place from the business district to the best of their residential properties are falling apart, chipped paint, homeless, vacant and dying. I'll take a few blocks trash over a dead or dying community any day.