╌>

Stop being so nosy!!!

Category:  Other

By:  kathleen  •  6 years ago  •  63 comments

Stop being so nosy!!!

Yep.

We all had someone constantly ask you questions that are none of their business.

How do you handle people like this? They just can't seem to mind their own business and they have to poke their nose in yours.

Tell us what you have experienced and what you did about it. Some of these people could be family, friends or people you do not know very well.

Try to stay on topic and no politics or religion please.

Friendly conversation is welcome. Just be polite. 

Thank you. Laugh

Article is LOCKED by author/seeder
[]

Raven Wing
Professor Participates
2  Raven Wing    6 years ago

Family, Friend or whomever. If they ask about something or try to butt into something that is none of their business, the first time I politely tell them that it is none of their business. If they persist in stepping into my personal 3 feet of space, then I tell them in not so polite a way to butt out. IF the persist they will be ignored and avoided. 

I mind my own business and appreciate that others do the same. If I want someone else to know something about my personal business I will tell them, otherwise, it is none of their business and they should respect my privacy. There is not much that I am not willing to share with family or Friends, but, there are indeed some things that are no one else needs to know. 

If the won't/can't take the hint to respect my privacy the first time, then they don't deserve my not being too polite the second time. Fortunately, that does not often have to happen.

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
2.3  SteevieGee  replied to  Raven Wing @2    6 years ago

Either I don't have any nosy neighbors or I just don't pay enough attention to them to notice.

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
4  Colour Me Free    6 years ago

I have been working through this with my youngest son - I find that I have been asking questions when he gets home that he does not want to answer … so I am working on not asking.

When he gets home from work at the radio station (had to toss that in there .. a Senior in High School is running the sound board for a local radio station) …. anyhow …….. I have been keeping my questions down to how was your night.  So last night when he gets home, he asks me "Are you mad at me mom?"

I asked ... why would you think that?  He says because you are not asking me more questions about my night!

Not quite on topic B .. but I have come to realize that when one asks a question another does not want to answer … the person being asked may want the attention of at least being asked and then given the opportunity to not answer...

This has been Deep Thoughts - by Colour!

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
4.3  sandy-2021492  replied to  Colour Me Free @4    6 years ago

My son hates to be asked about his day when I get home from work.

But he'll tell me almost anything in the car, if I'm patient enough to let him bring it up first.

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
4.3.2  Colour Me Free  replied to  sandy-2021492 @4.3    6 years ago

Did you ever take him for rides in the car to get him to sleep? 

Perhaps vehicles have a magic quality .. now that you have mentioned, it is the same with my son .. on a recent road trip he about talked my ear off...

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
4.3.3  Colour Me Free  replied to  Kathleen @4.3.1    6 years ago

I am so sorry that I derailed your seed B ...

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
4.3.5  sandy-2021492  replied to  Colour Me Free @4.3.2    6 years ago

I took him for car rides to put him to sleep all the time.  It was the only chance I had at a hot dinner :)

I think it's the fact that both he and I are focused on something else to a certain extent.  It makes it easier for him to talk if I'm not visibly hanging on his every word.

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
4.3.6  Colour Me Free  replied to  sandy-2021492 @4.3.5    6 years ago

Excellent point, and it makes sense that he would be more open with you, when he is not thinking you are staring into his soul as he speaks : )

pat wilson
Professor Participates
6  pat wilson    6 years ago

Tell us what you have experienced

It's none of your business ! laughing dude  Just kidding !

I usually give a vague answer and smile. If I'm irritated I say "it doesn't concern you ".

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
7  Perrie Halpern R.A.    6 years ago

I normally don't mind personal questions, but if I think that people are being inappropriate, I say," I'll tell you if you tell me, but you go first." Only once did it ever backfire, and their reply was a heck of a lot more juicy than mine. 

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
8  mocowgirl    6 years ago

At 61 years of age, I find my life more amusing in hindsight than perplexing most of the time.  So if anyone asks me something in a way that I would question their motive, I would ask them if they really cared about the answer or if they just wanted to fight and then respond based on their answer.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
9  sandy-2021492    6 years ago

To me, questions aren't usually a problem.  If they get too personal, I just ask them if they don't think that's a personal question.

Unwanted advice, though.  After I've either nodded and gone my own way once or twice, I expect them to take the hint and cut it out.  If they don't, they're asking to be told not to meddle.

And really, sometimes the advice is just sooo bad.  Medical advice from people who don't know their asses from their elbows.  If I have a medical question, I have a physician I trust, a sister who is a physician assistant, and frankly, a reasonable amount of medical knowledge myself, and the ability to find what I need on my own.  Parenting advice from people whose own kids have done time, or should have.  Thanks, but I'll do it my way.  

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Expert
9.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  sandy-2021492 @9    6 years ago

Yeah I have to agree.. the unwanted advice is far more annoying than the personal questions. 

sixpick
Professor Quiet
10  sixpick    6 years ago

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
10.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  sixpick @10    6 years ago

I'm a big fan of Lynyrd Skynrd's "Ask Me no Questions"...especially at the end of the song when he says, let's talk fishing

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
10.1.1  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Trout Giggles @10.1    6 years ago

Just for you. winking

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
10.1.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @10.1.1    6 years ago

Thanks for this. People can call Michael Jackson and Prince tragedies but the biggest rock and roll tragedy was Ronnie Van Zandt. He cleaned himself up, got sober, then dies in a fucking plane crash.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
11  Galen Marvin Ross    6 years ago

Best line I ever had come from my last wife, Gloria, when it came to nosey neighbors, "Who are you and, why is it any of your business?"