╌>

Trusted sources...

Category:  Other

By:  bob-nelson  •  6 years ago  •  1 comments

Trusted sources...

Skepticism is sometimes rewarded...

merlin_142200117_13a2e770-e761-4f42-b56b-cbf71128383e-superJumbo[1].jpg Yesterday, I came across a fairly long piece presenting itself as being about Wisconsin politics.

The most memorable part of Scott Walker’s run for president in 2016 was how he ended it: By dissing Donald J. Trump, his chief rival in a crowded race.

Mr. Walker, Wisconsin’s two-term governor, said he was bowing out to help “clear the field” so a “positive, conservative alternative” could emerge to Mr. Trump. The remark was self-serving — the Walker campaign was broke — but he had a point: Republicans never coalesced around an opponent to Mr. Trump, who went on to become the first Republican presidential nominee to carry Wisconsin since 1984.

Mr. Walker is still Wisconsin’s governor, still harboring national ambitions, and Wisconsin Democrats and Republicans have only grown more divided over Mr. Trump and the state’s place in national politics. Those dynamics are now on display as Wisconsin prepares for a major primary election on Tuesday: Mr. Walker’s bid for a third term is at stake; Wisconsin Democrats’ desire to deal blows to Trump Republicanism is intense; Republicans are deeply concerned about their future hold on state government; and the very identity of the state, which swings between progressivism and conservatism, feels up for grabs.

I had decided to post only articles related to the anniversary of the murder of Heather Heyer, so I wasn't going to seed it... but I always have a few articles in an "on hold" folder. I could have put the Wisconsin piece there.

But... it seemed a bit too "puff piece".  So I let it drop...

Then this morning... Dean Baker, who is reads the NYT assiduously and skeptically... posted this :

The Unemployment Rate In Minnesota Is 3.1 Percent

That might have been worth mentioning in this NYT piece on Wisconsin's political situation. The piece notes the conservative policies put in place by the state's Republican governor, Scott Walker. It then notes that the unemployment rate has fallen below 3.0 percent.

In this context, it might have been worth mentioing that Minnesota, Wisconsin's neighboring state, has an unemployment rate of 3.1 percent. Minnesota has been led by a liberal Democrat. This suggests that Wisconsin's relatively strong labor market might be more the result of regional factors than Mr. Walker's policies

Yup. Skepticism is good!

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
1  author  Bob Nelson    6 years ago

Dean Baker is a must-read. His skepticism of my otherwise "trusted sources" is... reassuring...