╌>

"Brett Kavanaugh misled the Senate under oath. I cannot support his nomination."

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  kpr37  •  6 years ago  •  3 comments

"Brett Kavanaugh misled the Senate under oath. I cannot support his nomination."
The way it was in the past was how it should be, and it's become "a highly partisan show." (RBG)

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

I read the WaPo headline out loud.

Meade said, "Who's that, Captain Queeg?"

Yeah, it's Patrick Leahy. Meade was right.

To understand the Leahy = Queeg reference, see my "Observations from the Kavanaugh hearings" (Sept. 5) — point #9 on my 15-point list of observations.

I find the Democrats' fight against Kavanaugh so irksome. Have you seen Ruth Bader Ginsburg's denouncement of the "highly partisan show"?

I saw that first at Facebook, where my son John posted it . Ginsburg, in that clip, asked to compare the Kavanaugh hearings to her own, says "The way it was was right. The way it is is wrong." (I like the "is is/was was" locution.) At Facebook, I say:

The way it was in the past was how it should be, and it's become "a highly partisan show." She talks about how Justice Scalia was treated in 1986. But she never mentions Bork and Thomas! Wasn't that a highly partisan show, back in the good old days? And the reason there wasn't much pressure on the Scalia nomination was that at the same time there was the elevation of Rehnquist to Chief Justice, and there was what was arguably "a highly partisan show" about that.

I'm sure she remembers what happened to those other nominees, and maybe the questioner follows up about them. The follow-up question should also ask her whether her approach to answering questions (which everyone since her has used) was devised after examining the problems that had already been encountered. This good-old-days presentation is okay for a start, but if there's no follow-up, this should be seen as ridiculous

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

kpr37
Professor Silent
1  seeder  kpr37    6 years ago

I found RBGs criticism refreshing and nonpartisan.  

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2  Sean Treacy    6 years ago

The confirmation hearings need to go away. It's just a venue for Senators to make asses of themselves. 

Have the nominee meet privately with Senators and answer written questions and be done with it.