╌>

Wealthiest Republican supporter in Ohio quits party

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  jbb  •  6 years ago  •  8 comments

"What you're seeing is Republicans in Congress who are bending over backwards to try to shield and deflect oversight of this behavior and accountability and consequences," Obama said. "This is serious. You know it is. And frankly even some of the Republicans know it is. They will say it, they just don't do anything about it. ... [They say,] 'we'll put up with crazy' in exchange for tax reform and deregulation."

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

The wealthiest supporter of the gop in Ohio said Thursday that he is no longer a member of the Republican Party.

"I just decided I'm no longer a Republican," L Brands CEO Leslie Wexner said during a panel discussion at a leadership summit, according to The Columbus Dispatch.

Wexner, who said he's been a Republican since college, added that he is now an independent, before saying that he "won't support this nonsense in the Republican Party" anymore.

"I haven't run an ad in the newspaper that said, 'I quit,'" he said.

The Columbus Dispatch noted that Wexner said he's instead been writing notes to friends who are lawmakers and telling them that he's no longer a member of the gop.

The development came just a day after former President Obama slammed gop lawmakers during a rally in Ohio for Democratic gubernatorial candidate Richard Cordray.

"What you're seeing is Republicans in Congress who are bending over backwards to try to shield and deflect oversight of this behavior and accountability and consequences," Obama said.

"This is serious. You know it is. And frankly even some of the Republicans know it is. They will say it, they just don't do anything about it. ... [They say,] 'we'll put up with crazy' in exchange for tax reform and deregulation."

Wexner called Obama's visit to Ohio this week a "great moment for the community," according to the Dispatch.

"I was struck by the genuineness of the man; his candor, humility and empathy for others," Wexner said.

The newspaper noted that the comments stand in stark contrast to what the gop supporter has said about President Trump.

The billionaire CEO reportedly said in a speech last year that he was "ashamed" by Trump's response to the white supremacist rally in Charlottesville, Va., that erupted in violence and led to the death of a 32-year-old woman.

The Ohio businessman has donated hundreds of thousands of dollars to Republican candidates and groups over the years, including giving $250,000 to a super PAC backing Sen. Rob Portman's (R) reelection campaign in 2016 and nearly $70,000 to gop committees and candidates in Ohio and other states, the Dispatch noted.

Wexner isn't the only person to renounce their gop affiliation this year. In August, Michael London, a former member of the Trumbull Town Council in Connecticut, announced he was leaving the party because it was "no longer the party that I believed in all these years."

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JBB
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JBB    6 years ago

There are damn good reasons the once Grand Old Party of Abe Lincoln is now known merely as, "the gop"...

Kavika
Professor Principal
2  Kavika     6 years ago
'we'll put up with crazy' in exchange for tax reform and deregulation."

BINGO

JBB
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  JBB  replied to  Kavika @2    6 years ago

The gop forgets tariffs are taxes. Wait until prices for everything go up about 25%...

JBB
Professor Principal
3  seeder  JBB    6 years ago

"Wexner isn't the only person to renounce their gop affiliation this year. In August, Michael London, a former member of the Trumbull Town Council in Connecticut, announced he was leaving the party because it was "no longer the party that I believed in all these years." - From the article...

JBB
Professor Principal
4  seeder  JBB    6 years ago

"I'd get out of the gop before going down with the SS Trumptanic" - JBB...

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
5  Bob Nelson    6 years ago

The Republican Party has one single reason for existing: to make the already-rich even richer.

Once we accept that reality, all Republican behavior becomes logical.

JBB
Professor Principal
5.1  seeder  JBB  replied to  Bob Nelson @5    6 years ago
The Republican Party has one single reason for existing: to make the already-rich even richer.

For generations the gop told us it was raining gold down upon us but the gop was just pissing on our heads...

If Democrats had their way working folks would get much bigger tax cuts and the rich would pay their shares.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
5.1.1  Bob Nelson  replied to  JBB @5.1    6 years ago

Holy F!

You're a revolutionary!

Making the rich pay their share... Revolutionary, I say!!