╌>

How to save money at Costco (and avoid overspending), according to shopping pros

Category:  Other

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  6 years ago  •  29 comments

How to save money at Costco (and avoid overspending), according to shopping pros
Are those Costco deals really that good? Shopping experts and employees share their money saving secrets.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Do you remember when you were indoctrinated into the cult of Costco? I do. Friends were visiting from out of town last summer and the topic of the great, fresh seafood available there came up. They began to rave, heaping praise on the warehouse club (a little excessively, I thought). And they couldn't stop at just telling us how amazing it was, they had to show us. So we piled in the car and drove to Costco — and left with our very own membership card, singing praises to all who would hear.

Now I'm a member, for life, probably, but still haven't lost that feeling of awe and bewilderment that strikes when you enter the mammoth, brightly lit space. I still get the thrill of the deal, but also wonder if it's all such a good value, and if I'm doing it right. To find out some pro-level tips I asked a couple of experts. Joanie Demer from the   Krazy Koupon Lady   and Kyle James of   Rather-Be-Shopping.com   shared their best Costco intel with NBC News BETTER.

NO COSTCO CARD? THERE'S A LOOPHOLE FOR THAT

Think you need a membership card to shop at Costco? There's a way around that. A   Costco Cash Card   “gets you in the door and through checkout,” Demer said. “It's a huge loophole. The reason they allow it is they're convinced once you're in the door you'll be hooked.” (I can vouch for that.)

So, “a friend or family member who is a Costco member can buy you a Costco Cash Card (either in the warehouse or online) … with a value up to $1,000,” James said. “Then you can pay them back and get in Costco and use the cash card just like you would a membership card. This is also a great option for college students who don’t necessarily need to buy a lot of stuff in bulk as a cash card still provides a way to buy food, gas and   school supplies.

The card is also a way to be disciplined, Demer added. You can leave your cash in the car and have a built-in limit. This way “you know, 'I'm not going to leave with those reindeer lights.'”

KNOW THESE POSSIBLE PITFALLS — AND SOLUTIONS

Costco comes with a few rules you won't typically find with other retailers. There are no manufacturers coupons allowed, Demer said. So that $5 off razors coupon you clipped?   Save it for Target .

A potential way around this, Demer noted, is to use the   ibotta app , which, she explained, is “circumventing the POS [point of sale] by asking you to take a photo of your receipt after purchase.” The tool will find offers you're eligible for and deposit the cash in your account.

And they don't take American Express. They actually only take Visa cards, cash, checks, debit/ATM, EBT and Costco Cash Cards. So if you show up like I did once and load up your cart only to get to checkout with a Mastercard they won't take and no other payment method, you're out of luck. If you find yourself in that position there's an emergency escape route: I went to the service desk and applied for a Costco Citi card. Five minutes later I had my temporary card in hand, and crisis was averted.

Oh, and it's BYOB — bring your own bag. Have some giant IKEA bags lying around? That'll do the trick. Otherwise you can ask the check-out clerk to help you rustle up some boxes to stash your gallon of mayo in.

Read more at the seeded content

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.    6 years ago

Saving a buck is big business these days. I thought there were a few really interesting ideas in this article. If you have any to share, please let us in on your secrets. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
1.1  Tacos!  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    6 years ago

Tip#1: Don't go when you're hungry.

Tip#2: Bring your significant other with you to slap your hand when you get ready to pick up something absurd.

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.2  Krishna  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    6 years ago
Saving a buck is big business these days. I thought there were a few really interesting ideas in this article. If you have any to share, please let us in on your secrets. 

Thanks-- useful information. I'm considering becoming a member-- perhaps starting with a cash card.

Lately I've been doing a lot of shopping on Amazon. Also, I am very health conscious at least about my food. Almost everything food item I buy is at Whole Foods.

Amazon bought them-- Whole Foods is now a division of Amazon. So now many of the prices at Whole foods are as low as-- or lower-- than comparable items at regular grocery stores. (Especially organic food which is what I mainly eat). And they have occasionally have sales on several items-- excellent discounts.

But I also have an Amazon credit card-- automatic 5% off on everything at Amazon and Whole Foods. No yearly fee. (2% at some other stores, mainly gas stations, restaurants and drug stores-- automatic 1% off everywhere else but I don't shop much elsewhere).

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.2.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Krishna @1.2    6 years ago

I didn't know that you got cash back with Amazon. You also get cash back with the Costco card. That is why my dad is so addicted to it

pat wilson
Professor Participates
2  pat wilson    6 years ago

I love Costco for waters, TP, laundry detergent and a few other sundries. I can't use a lot of things in bulk form. Spices, oils, coffees etc. would be spoiled before I could use them. 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3  sandy-2021492    6 years ago

Leave the food samples alone.  They make you impulse-buy, and you're pissing off your fellow shoppers by blocking the aisles.

Be realistic.  Can you really eat all those strawberries before they're furry?  I like getting produce at Costco, but I have to make sure it's something I'll actually be able to eat before it rots.  Apples - sure.  Bananas - nope.

Kirkland (their house brand) is pretty good stuff, usually.  As good as national brands, so don't spend money on the brand name.  My hairdresser loves their shampoo and conditioner, and is recommending it to all of her clients.

Check your available freezer space before you buy frozen foods there.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
3.1  Tacos!  replied to  sandy-2021492 @3    6 years ago
Leave the food samples alone.

But they're so yummy! 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3.1.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Tacos! @3.1    6 years ago

But they make you do stupid things!  Or they make me do stupid things, anyway.  Except that whole blocking the aisles thing - I won't even look at the food samples if it's crowded that day.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.1.2  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  sandy-2021492 @3.1.1    6 years ago

Sandy is right. I find that what I sample, I end up buying often.

Kavika
Professor Principal
4  Kavika     6 years ago

I found that Costco has the best meats....

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4.1  Tacos!  replied to  Kavika @4    6 years ago

Not long ago, we got four filet mignon - really big and great quality - for about $35. I spend twice that just taking everybody out to the local diner.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4.1.2  Tacos!  replied to  XDm9mm @4.1.1    6 years ago

Nice. A few months ago I bought the whole ribeye. This giant slab of meat sat aging in my fridge for a month while I sliced off pieces, with each meal getting a little more funky than the last. It was wonderful.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4.1.4  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  XDm9mm @4.1.1    6 years ago

I do that 9mm and you are right. It's a huge money saver and you use every part of the tenderloin. I also like to do a roast in the winter, with a peppercorn basting. Comes out amazing 

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
5  Paula Bartholomew    6 years ago

I highly recommend the chicken wrap at the food court.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
6  sandy-2021492    6 years ago

Shop online.  They ship for free.  You can't get everything online, but enough to avoid the occasional trip to Costco, and it might help with impulse purchases.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
6.1  MrFrost  replied to  sandy-2021492 @6    6 years ago

Totally agree. Amazon carries just about everything under the sun now and at very competitive prices. If I don't need it, "right now", i'll check Amazon first. 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
6.1.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  MrFrost @6.1    6 years ago

Agreed, but I meant about Costco.  I shop online, and they ship for free.  I buy a lot of stuff for my office there, and online shopping saves me quite a few trips.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
6.1.2  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  sandy-2021492 @6.1.1    6 years ago

I have to try that Sandy. I never knew that they deleivered. 

Mr. Frost, I love that you can get whole foods delivered. 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
6.1.3  sandy-2021492  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @6.1.2    6 years ago

I only found out a few months ago.  It's been a great time-saver, because the nearest Costco is 30 miles away.  They ship via the post office or UPS for free.  You can't buy everything that way, but the stuff I get most often, like TP and paper towels, they can ship.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
8  Freefaller    6 years ago

Lol with a 4 hr drive to the nearest one there is no temptation here, I'll continue to shop at the local markets.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
8.1  MrFrost  replied to  Freefaller @8    6 years ago

4 hours is a healthy drive to save a few bucks. I don't blame you. I only go about once a month for benadryl, melatonin....crap like that. I usually just ask the neighbor lady to pick things up for me when she goes. 

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
8.1.1  Freefaller  replied to  MrFrost @8.1    6 years ago
I usually just ask the neighbor lady to pick things up for me when she goes. 

Suppose I could do that as well but it's just me in the house now and I don't need much anyway.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
9  Sunshine    6 years ago

Good place to save on gas.  The price per gallon can be significant less.  My job pays for my membership fee but even if you have to yourself you will save on gas.  A new Costco was just built about a quarter mile from me and the only place I get gas now. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
9.1  Sparty On  replied to  Sunshine @9    6 years ago

Yep.

Depending on your gas usage it can be worth it on that alone.     I figure i save anywhere from $100-200 a year on gas alone.   More than worth the $60 membership fee

That and we only need to buy TP once or twice  a year ....... and thats a YUGE bonus .....