╌>

The ‘Saturday Halloween Movement': A petition beseeches Trump to reschedule the spooky celebration

Category:  Other

Via:  pj  •  6 years ago  •  18 comments

The ‘Saturday Halloween Movement': A petition beseeches Trump to reschedule the spooky celebration

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Leave it to the calendar to put a major cramp in trick-or-treating.

Halloween falls on a Wednesday this year. Hump day, smack in the middle of the workweek. Hoping to help a child put the finishing touches on a Super Mario outfit? Better not get caught at the office. Planning to turn in early for school the next day? Better put down the Skittles.

A solution to this irksome scheduling has been suggested by the Halloween Industry Association, which represents companies whose interest in ensuring Americans can properly spook one another each year is hardly opaque. The group, which also calls itself the Halloween & Costume Association, is petitioning President Trump to move Halloween to the last Saturday of October.

It’s called the “Saturday Halloween Movement,” and it might just be the cause that can unite the country.

Who, after all, even knows why Halloween is observed on Oct. 31? The timing of the celebration reflects its origins in the ancient Celtic festival of Samhain, when ghosts of the dead were believed to return and walk the Earth at the end of the harvest and on the cusp of winter, as the History Channel explains.

The Halloween industry says there are now more pressing concerns.

“It’s time for a Safer, Longer, Stress-Free Celebration!” the petition declares.

The petition marshals some grave statistics to prove its point. Each year, there are 3,800 Halloween-related injuries, the industry warns. Most parents don’t incorporate “high visibility aids” into their outfits, the petition notes, and most children don’t carry flashlights. Seventy percent of parents leave their children all alone to trick-or-treat, according to the industry, while more than half of millennials say Halloween is their favorite holiday. Why, the Halloween Industry is asking, “cram it into 2 rushed evening weekday hours when it deserves a full day!?!”

Nearly 6,000 signatories seem to agree.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

PJ
Masters Quiet
1  seeder  PJ    6 years ago

I'm totally upset about this!  Halloween is on October 31st not the last Saturday in October.  ARGH!  

This is a travesty and must be stopped!!!!!  jrSmiley_42_smiley_image.gif

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1  Gordy327  replied to  PJ @1    6 years ago
This is a travesty and must be stopped

You know what else is a travesty? The fact that Halloween is not considered a federal or major holiday in the ranks of Thanksgiving or X-mas. It's an outrage I tells you! jrSmiley_1_smiley_image.png

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  Gordy327 @1.1    6 years ago

See? Move it to a Saturday every year and make it a holiday so we can have a 3 day weekend!

PJ
Masters Quiet
1.1.2  seeder  PJ  replied to  Gordy327 @1.1    6 years ago

Yeah!  Now I'm getting fired up.  

Let's do this thing

PJ
Masters Quiet
1.1.3  seeder  PJ  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.1    6 years ago

Hmmmmm......maybe I spoke too soon.

Nope!  You almost got me with that one though.  No, I cannot be bought.  No

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.4  Texan1211  replied to  PJ @1.1.3    6 years ago

Play it right and you could parlay it into a 4 day weekend!

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1.5  Gordy327  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.1    6 years ago
Move it to a Saturday every year and make it a holiday so we can have a 3 day weekend!

Hmmm, you might be onto something there. Who doesn't love a 3-day weekend? Perhaps a Friday would be better? That way, it's a legitimate Friday off, followed by the weekend. Kids will also have the entire weekend to gorge on candy. 

Play it right and you could parlay it into a 4 day weekend!

Like Thanksgiving. I'm starting to like this idea more and more. jrSmiley_2_smiley_image.png

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2  Texan1211    6 years ago

Great idea whose time has finally come.

PJ
Masters Quiet
2.1  seeder  PJ  replied to  Texan1211 @2    6 years ago

NOOOoooo

It's the worst idea in the Whole Wide World.  Halloween is sacred.  It's...it's....un-American to change Halloween from October 31st.

The retailers are only trying to make more money.   

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  PJ @2.1    6 years ago

Sacred?

Give me a break!

It would be far safer for kids if it was moved to the last Saturday in October.

Retailers ALWAYS try to make more money, as that is kind of the point.

PJ
Masters Quiet
2.1.2  seeder  PJ  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.1    6 years ago

It's sacred Tex.....S. A. C. R. E. D. 

Part of the thrill of Halloween is trying to stay safe! 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.3  Texan1211  replied to  PJ @2.1.2    6 years ago

The little kiddos will get over it soon enough if it is changed. In fact, they will like it more!

PJ
Masters Quiet
2.1.4  seeder  PJ  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.3    6 years ago

Who cares about the kiddos.  I'm talking about ME!  hahahaha

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.5  Texan1211  replied to  PJ @2.1.4    6 years ago

And you'll get used to it, too.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
2.1.6  pat wilson  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.1    6 years ago

Oddly enough I have to go with Texan on this. We know that Samhain, the original Halloween holiday, always occurred during fall.

Samhain is a Gaelic festival marking the end of the harvest season and the beginning of winter or the "darker half" of the year. Traditionally, it is celebrated from 31 October to 1 November, as the Celtic day began and ended at sunset. This is about halfway between the autumn equinox and the winter solstice.

Dig
Professor Participates
3  Dig    6 years ago

Why Saturday? Friday nights always felt more celebratory and 'partyish' than Saturdays, to me at least.

When I was in my twenties I really, really, really wanted Halloween to be on Fridays every year, just for the sake of parties (same with St. Patrick's day), because hangovers in the middle of the work week sucked, and I always wished that the day after could be a sleep in, do nothing day.

But I also like the Oct 31 date. It's just so synonymous with Halloween, so now that I'm older I guess I'm torn on changing it.

I don't really care about the kids, though. They don't need hangover relief :), and they'd have the same couple hours of evening and twilight for trick-or-treating no matter what day of the week it is.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4  Tacos!    6 years ago

I like the idea, but 1) it's not a federal holiday, so I don't know what the government can do about it, and 2) the date derives from religious calendars, which might make it somewhat hard to change - especially for people from cultures that view the day from a more religious perspective.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
5  sandy-2021492    6 years ago

My hometown used to have trick-or-treat on a weekday if Halloween fell on a Friday or Saturday.  The reasoning was that teenagers would get up to fewer shenanigans on a school night.  So they just got up to shenanigans for the whole month of October, instead jrSmiley_91_smiley_image.gif   Mostly harmless stuff, smashed pumpkins and so forth.

I say leave it on the 31st, because that's when Halloween is.