╌>

Pence rejects suggestions of a link between Trump rhetoric and acts of violence

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  skrekk  •  6 years ago  •  28 comments

Pence rejects suggestions of a link between Trump rhetoric and acts of violence
The vice president defended Trump's attacks on opponents as part of "political debate."

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

LAS VEGAS — Vice President Mike Pence rejected the suggestion that there is a link between the kind of political rhetoric used by President Donald Trump and acts of violence like Saturday's deadly shooting at a synagogue in Pittsburgh or last week's mail bombs sent to prominent Trump critics.

“Everyone has their own style, and frankly, people on both sides of the aisle use strong language about our political differences,” Pence said in an interview with NBC News. “But I just don’t think you can connect it to acts or threats of violence.”

The vice president called for “unity” earlier in the day at a campaign event in Las Vegas. "What happened this morning in Pittsburgh was not just a criminal act, it was evil," he told NBC News. He added that the administration is "absolutely determined to do everything in our power to prevent these types of attacks from happening in the future."

But when asked about calling Democrats a "mob," as he did at campaign stops a day before, Pence indicated that was part of political debate.

“The American people believe in the freedom of speech,” Pence said. “And throughout the history of this country we’ve always had vigorous debates and then we settle those debates in the ballot box. We don’t settle them through acts or threats of violence like the pipe bombs we saw sent to the Obamas, the Clintons, to CNN and others.”

And he characterized the president’s penchant for name calling as part of the reason Trump has effectively connected with a large contingency of the country.

“The president and I have different styles, but the president connected to the American people because he spoke plainly.”

When asked if the president’s rhetoric is “healthy” for the country’s civil discourse, the vice president said “debate is healthy in America,” and, again, dismissed any connection between “the kind of violent behavior we witnessed in Pittsburgh” to “the political debate.”

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
1  seeder  Skrekk    6 years ago

LOL.   How utterly clueless and dishonest - Pence can't even take a smidgen of responsibility for the fact that Trump and his regime have fomented the violence of right wing extremists by demonizing refugees and other minorities.

I wonder if the Nazi regime did the same thing after Kristallnacht by pretending that they bore no responsibility for such violence?

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1  devangelical  replied to  Skrekk @1    6 years ago

Pence is a gutless quisling, [delete]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @1.1    6 years ago

I just love it when people don't learn from past lessons.

Did you learn NOTHING from Abuela Hillary's "deplorables" statement?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.3  Texan1211  replied to  XDm9mm @1.1.2    6 years ago

It seems like an epidemic today!

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
1.1.4  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.1    6 years ago
“Everyone has their own style, and frankly, people on both sides of the aisle use strong language about our political differences,” Pence said in an interview with NBC News. “But I just don’t think you can connect it to acts or threats of violence.”

I just love it when people don't learn from past lessons.

Did you learn NOTHING from Abuela Hillary's "deplorables" statement?

Strong language is one thing, like Hillary's deplorables statement that you all love to reference, this is quite another,

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.6  Texan1211  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @1.1.4    6 years ago

Hey!

Maybe we can ALL pretend that most humans have never felt that way about another human being in their lifetimes!

Ridiculous.

People should be held accountable for their actions. No one forced or even asked any of these nutjobs to do whatever it is they do.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
1.1.7  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  XDm9mm @1.1.5    6 years ago
Eric Holder: ‘When they go low, we kick them. That’s what this new Democratic Party is about.'

It helps when you include the whole quote,

WASHINGTON — Former Attorney General Eric Holder says he thinks former first lady Michelle Obama was wrong in her signature line: "When they go low, we go high."
Campaigning for Democrats in Georgia, Holder told an audience, "When they go low, we kick them."
"Michelle [Obama] always says ‘When they go low, we go high,'" Holder told the crowd. "No. No. When they go low, we kick them."
The comment drew applause, cheers and chants of "fight" from the crowd supporting Stacey Abrams for Georgia governor and several other Democratic candidates. He continued, though, saying he did not want people to actually kick Republicans.
"When I say we kick them, I don’t mean we do anything inappropriate, we don’t do anything illegal, but we have to be tough and we have to fight," Holder said.

Source:  https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2018/10/10/eric-holder-when-they-go-low-we-kick-them-thats-what-this-new-democratic-party-is-about/?utm_term=.593d3d92cdc8

“If they bring a knife to the fight, we bring a gun,” Obama said in Philadelphia last night

Source:  

So, do you want more, or is this enough.   I really hate to waste time unnecessarily.

It took me a while but, I finally found what you are referencing when speaking about Obama's knife/gun comment, as I said before, it helps when you have the full context of a statement, this was said at a fund raiser and, it was meant to describe the vitriol that would come from then Candidate McCain's campaign, meaning that if McCain's campaign got dirty, the Democrats would have to be even dirtier. There was no threat of any violence in the statement.

On the same date, Reuters published an item that stated, in part:
Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama, who regularly uses language to reinforce his modern-guy credentials, seems to have set that aside when he explained how he won’t be cowed by Republican attacks.
“If they bring a knife to the fight, we bring a gun,” Obama said at a fund-raiser in Philadelphia on Friday, employing a phrase that could have been lifted from a gangster movie. “Because from what I understand, folks in Philly like a good brawl. I’ve seen Eagles fans,” he said, referring to the city’s football team.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
1.1.8  seeder  Skrekk  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.1    6 years ago

[delete]

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
1.1.9  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.6    6 years ago
Hey! Maybe we can ALL pretend that most humans have never felt that way about another human being in their lifetimes!

Sooo, you've wanted to kill a president? Interesting, does the Secret Service know about this?

Ridiculous. People should be held accountable for their actions.

Yes, they should, including Trump.

No one forced or even asked any of these nutjobs to do whatever it is they do.

Listen to the video's I provided, Trump did.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.10  Texan1211  replied to  Skrekk @1.1.8    6 years ago

That's good--double down on a proven losing strategy.

Fucking BRILLAINT!!!!!!!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.11  Texan1211  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @1.1.9    6 years ago

Don't be absurd.

Kill a President?

What would possess you to even ask such a ridiculous question?

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
1.1.12  arkpdx  replied to  Skrekk @1.1.8    6 years ago

[delete]

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
1.1.14  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.11    6 years ago
Don't be absurd.

Kill a President?

What would possess you to even ask such a ridiculous question?

Reference your comments in 1.1.6 which are quoted in my comment 1.1.9, it seems in your comment that you are saying that it is alright to send bombs to former presidents and, others if the president says that he doesn't like them and, that he will cover your legal bills if you "Knock the crap out of them".

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.15  Texan1211  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @1.1.14    6 years ago

It may SEEM that way to you.

I can't be responsible for what things SEEM like to you.

If you chose to be obtuse, have fun !!

PJ
Masters Quiet
2  PJ    6 years ago

Pence - today's example of a good Christian. 

The ends justify the means.  Anything to win. lie, lie, lie 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1  Texan1211  replied to  PJ @2    6 years ago

What was yesterday's example of a good Christian?

PJ
Masters Quiet
2.1.1  PJ  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1    6 years ago

I don't understand.  Sorry 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  PJ @2.1.1    6 years ago

Me too.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3  JohnRussell    6 years ago

b9kEZYO1_normal.jpg
Randi Mayem Singer
@rmayemsinger

Fox News is blurring out the stickers on the van. Fox News is blurring out the stickers on the van. Fox News is blurring out the stickers on the van. Fox News is blurring out the stickers on the van. Fox News is blurring out the stickers on the van.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @3    6 years ago

And?

Does that in any way, shape or form change what the nutjob did, all on his own?

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
4  seeder  Skrekk    6 years ago

It's interesting that Pence can't even take generic responsibility when a violent right-winger answers his Fuhrer's dog whistle which demonized the Honduran and Guatemalan refugees and presented them as a "threat" to the country.     It's not like Pence or Trump are walking away at all from their vile anti-refugee rhetoric, they're just pretending that they aren't to blame when violence is the result.

Note that Pence did the exact same thing as Indiana governor when he illegally tried to block any Syrian refugees from being relocated in his state.   He claimed not to be a hater or a dumb bigot but his actions spoke volumes, and his words were filled with demonizing rhetoric against those refugees.

321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu
Sophomore Guide
5  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu     6 years ago

Vice President Mike Pence rejected the suggestion that there is a link between the kind of political rhetoric used by President Donald Trump and acts of violence

One of us.. One of us..One of us..One of us..One of us..One of us..

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
6  Thrawn 31    6 years ago

Cool, so if someone shoots up his family I am sure he will have exactly the same message. Fuck Pence.