70s3.jpg

v%2B9.jpg

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  author  JohnRussell    6 years ago

Halloween was originally about witches, ghosts and goblins. The eve of All Saints when the mysteries of the unseen and occult were revered and revealed. 

Hollywood eventually turned the nation's young eyes toward costumes that portrayed ax murderers , serial killers, cartoon characters and super heroes. 

Back in the day, if I was , say, a ten year old who didnt have a costume or couldnt decide, you end up trick or treating either as a hobo or a pirate, those were the easiest things to whip up last second, other than maybe a ghost. 

Today when trick or treaters come, the majority of them dont seem to have any costume at all, or just wear a goofy hat with a little colorful makeup smeared on their face so that they look like ...... something. 

I miss the days when halloween was about the unseen forces in this world, it was much more interesting from that aspect than seeing people at parties dressed like The Handmaid's Tale for hookers. 

b0f843116ca52f3bb9313f2248ff0320--vintag

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
3  Galen Marvin Ross    6 years ago

Samhain, is the first Halloween,

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
4  Hal A. Lujah    6 years ago

I remember dressing up in costume on Halloween and going to school in k-5.  Now days schools are so PC that you can't even use the word "Halloween", much less have a costume event.  You also can't use the word "Christmas" or even hang up a picture of Santa in the school anywhere.

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
4.1  Dean Moriarty  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @4    6 years ago

Ain’t that the truth. Just the other day I was reading an article about people getting their panties in a bunch because some kid dressed up like Hitler. 

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
4.1.1  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Dean Moriarty @4.1    6 years ago

jrSmiley_32_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_22_smiley_image.gif

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
6  Galen Marvin Ross    6 years ago

My Flash ran the neighborhood collecting for his personal stash,

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
7  Freefaller    6 years ago

Ahhhh the good ole days of plastic masks and highly flammable costumes, I remember them fondly.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
7.1  Split Personality  replied to  Freefaller @7    6 years ago

I was just thinking that and found some modern links and flammability tests that would seem to indicate that not much has changed,

except I remember how cheap the cellulose and plastic costumes were.

and almost drowning in sweat behind some of those masks.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
7.1.1  Freefaller  replied to  Split Personality @7.1    6 years ago

Good point, the masks were not all that comfortable either.  People are much better off if they can go homemade and makeup