╌>

Trump Mulls Letting Turkey Kill U.S. Resident to Help Saudis Get Away With Killing U.S. Resident

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  pj  •  6 years ago  •  26 comments

Trump Mulls Letting Turkey Kill U.S. Resident to Help Saudis Get Away With Killing U.S. Resident

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

In an op-ed for The Wall Street Journal earlier this week, Marco Rubio wrote that Donald Trump’s brand of nationalism is not a creed that subordinates enlightenment values to zero-sum tribalism — as French president Emmanuel Macron had recently suggested. Rather, the Florida senator argued that the president’s nationalistic ethos was rooted in his deep appreciation for America’s “identity as a nation committed to the idea that all people are created equal, with a God-given right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.”

There are more than a few problems with the thesis that Donald Trump only puts “America First” because America does the same for the concept of universal human rights. But an especially conspicuous one is that the president disdains the concept of human rights more than he reveres his fellow Americans.

Or so Trump’s handling of Jamal Khashoggi’s murder would suggest. From the moment the Turkish government revealed that Saudi agents had killed a Washington Post columnist — and legal U.S. resident — in Istanbul, the American president made it clear that he viewed the murder as less of a moral atrocity than a PR headache.

Trump’s first response to Turkey’s revelation was to demand that the public give his friends in Riyadh the presumption of innocence. His second was to allow that, if the Saudis did in fact murder and dismember a U.S.-based journalist, “it would not be a positive” — but nevertheless insisted that the American government couldn’t respond too harshly to such an offense because the Saudis are “spending $110 billion on [American] military equipment” (and those arms sales must be protected at all costs).

The president’s third response — after the Saudis admitted that their agents had killed Khashoggi (supposedly, without official authorization) after trying to kidnap him (with official authorization) — was to criticize the murder in strictly tactical terms. “They had a very bad original concept,” Trump said of the Saudi plot, adding that it was “carried out poorly” and “the worst cover-up ever.”

Now, with Khashoggi’s death buried beneath the ruins of a thousand subsequent news cycles, Trump has (reportedly) shifted his focus away from offering Riyadh constructive criticism on its lackluster cover-up, and toward getting Turkish president Recep Erdogan to let bygones be bygones.

More specifically, the president is reportedly trying to persuade Erdogan to forgive the Saudis for murdering a U.S. resident who was critical of their government by helping Erdogan imprison (and, in all probability, murder) a U.S. resident who was critical of the Turkish government.

As NBC News reports:

The White House is looking for ways to remove an enemy of Turkish President Recep Erdogan from the U.S. in order to placate Turkey over the murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi, according to two senior U.S. officials and two other people briefed on the requests.

Trump administration officials last month asked federal law enforcement agencies to examine legal ways of removing exiled Turkish cleric Fethullah Gulen in an attempt to persuade Erdogan to ease pressure on the Saudi government, the four sources said.

… They said the White House specifically wanted details about Gulen’s residency status in the U.S. Gulen has a Green Card, according to two people familiar with the matter. He has been living in Pennsylvania since the late 1990s.

Career officials at the agencies pushed back on the White House requests, the U.S. officials and people briefed on the requests said.

“At first there were eye rolls, but once they realized it was a serious request, the career guys were furious,” said a senior U.S. official involved in the process.

Erdogan has accused Gülen (without any substantial evidence) of masterminding the failed 2016 coup attempt against his government. Last year, Erdogan vowed to behead the “traitors” who had attempted to depose him. Thus, there is little doubt that to expel Gülen to Turkey would be to put the longtime Keystone State resident, and charter-school entrepreneur, in mortal danger.

To review: In order to help an Islamist theocracy get away with executing one American immigrant, Trump is (reportedly) trying to find a legal rationale for letting another (much less totalitarian) Islamist theocracy execute a different American immigrant.

If this is true, then it seems safe to say, contra Rubio, that Trump is less of an American nationalist who harbors a deep commitment to human rights than an American solipsist who is ready and willing to abet crimes against humanity if he believes that he stands to benefit personally from doing so.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

PJ
Masters Quiet
1  seeder  PJ    6 years ago
To review: In order to help an Islamist theocracy get away with executing one American immigrant, Trump is (reportedly) trying to find a legal rationale for letting another (much less totalitarian) Islamist theocracy execute a different American immigrant.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
2  pat wilson    6 years ago

Just heard about this tonight, appalling. This has to stop.

PJ
Masters Quiet
2.1  seeder  PJ  replied to  pat wilson @2    6 years ago

Yes, our country has be thugafied.  We are now peddling murder as a pathway to Trump's version of making America great again.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
2.1.1  pat wilson  replied to  PJ @2.1    6 years ago

This IS NOT who we are !

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
3  Ronin2    6 years ago
They said the White House specifically wanted details about Gulen’s residency status in the U.S. Gulen has a Green Card, according to two people familiar with the matter. He has been living in Pennsylvania since the late 1990s.

Career officials at the agencies pushed back on the White House requests, the U.S. officials and people briefed on the requests said.

“At first there were eye rolls, but once they realized it was a serious request, the career guys were furious,” said a senior U.S. official involved in the process.

Wow, more unnamed, unverifiable sources.  Seems that is all modern "journalists" have. Of course with the left's willingness to lap up anything anti Trump it is all they need. 

PJ
Masters Quiet
3.1  seeder  PJ  replied to  Ronin2 @3    6 years ago

I'm sure we'll learn more as this story continues to unfold.  In the meantime, we can debate how we personally feel about this based on what we currently know.

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
3.1.1  Nowhere Man  replied to  PJ @3.1    6 years ago
we can debate how we personally feel about this based on what we currently know.

I don't think so, although you may try, most of the serious posters here won't go for the clickbait or post bait for more T-rump bashing....

I mean that is the whole point of this isn't it?.....

One T-rump hate story leads to the next and the next and the next.......

You were better than this, at one point. What happened to you?

PJ
Masters Quiet
3.1.2  seeder  PJ  replied to  Nowhere Man @3.1.1    6 years ago
What happened to you?

T-rump?

but seriously, I don't think this story is click bait.  I think this is a serious story.  Let's set aside that Trump's name is linked to it.  How can this be good for America?

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
3.1.3  Nowhere Man  replied to  PJ @3.1.2    6 years ago

If you could find something in the media that isn't linked to T-rump I would probably engage in conversation on this, but until then I"ll keep my opinions to myself.

None of this is good for America, but it's even worse when one side wishes to use it for rationalizing political positions. All objectivity goes out the window...

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
3.1.4  Larry Hampton  replied to  Nowhere Man @3.1.3    6 years ago

This has nothing to do with rationalizing a political position. This has everything to do with one leader making a deal with another leader to cover-up murder. It's positively sickening; and, frankly, intellectually lazy to claim that conversing about the matter, is politicizing it.

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
3.1.5  Nowhere Man  replied to  Larry Hampton @3.1.4    6 years ago

Larry where did I say conversing about it is politicizing it, I said conversing about it with T-rump as the focus is politicizing it.....

It is sickening complete agreement there and as I said to PJ it's NOT good for america.

But please do not put words or meanings into my mouth that I did not express.

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
3.1.6  Larry Hampton  replied to  Nowhere Man @3.1.5    6 years ago

Since Trump is a central figure in the narrative of this article, there is no informed method to discuss without focusing on him.

It seems that your position is that this article is merely another hit piece. I disagree for the following: It's relevant to the position of the most powerful seat on the planet, it's about covering up murder (and for political purposes I should add), and the tone of the article reflects the audacity and import of the named characters. These are not trivial matters and speak directly to the threats we see happening to our eroding democracy.

Making a fuss about such, much less merely discussing the matter, is the least that conscientious and diligent persons can do.

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
4  Cerenkov    6 years ago

US resident = alien = no US responsibility. 

PJ
Masters Quiet
4.1  seeder  PJ  replied to  Cerenkov @4    6 years ago

Thank you Cerenkov.  Very enlightening...........( not )

Let me refer you to the following: 

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
4.1.1  Cerenkov  replied to  PJ @4.1    6 years ago

Why would you direct me to a seed about a loony liberal screaming about Trump?

PJ
Masters Quiet
4.1.2  seeder  PJ  replied to  Cerenkov @4.1.1    6 years ago

Dag nabbit  -  It was supposed to direct you back to the comment that says "You're right, PJ".

Now the whole thing is RUINED!  jrSmiley_78_smiley_image.gif