╌>

Trump And The NRA Busted For Illegal Coordination

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  don-overton  •  6 years ago  •  23 comments

Trump And The NRA Busted For Illegal Coordination
Documents show that the Trump campaign and the NRA illegally coordinated their advertising during the 2016 election.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Reporting by The Trace shows that the NRA and the Trump campaign employed the same operation — at times, the exact same people — to craft and execute their advertising strategies for the 2016 presidential election. The investigation, which involved a review of more than 1,000 pages of Federal Communications Commission and Federal Election Commission documents, found multiple instances in which National Media, through its affiliates Red Eagle and AMAG, executed ad buys for Trump and the NRA that seemed coordinated to enhance each other.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Don Overton
Sophomore Quiet
1  seeder  Don Overton    6 years ago

Who would ever have thunk it.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
1.1  Bob Nelson  replied to  Don Overton @1    6 years ago

I'm shocked!

Shocked, I tell you!  jrSmiley_84_smiley_image.gif

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.2  devangelical  replied to  Don Overton @1    6 years ago

NRA = National Russian Association

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.3  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Don Overton @1    6 years ago

The Trace is a blatantly leftist leaning rag owned by none other than Michael Blomberg. That speaks volumes in itself since he himself is virulently anti-gun in nature! Hardly a source of non biased and fair editorials regarding reasonable gun control.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2  Tacos!    6 years ago

Here is a link to the law they supposedly violated:

11 CFR 109.21 - What is a “coordinated communication”?

Looks pretty complicated. I'll bet people violate this one all the time. At worst, expect some minor fine.

I don't know if it has been challenged in court, but it's hard not to imagine that a restriction on communication would be a violation of the 1st Amendment.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.1  Ozzwald  replied to  Tacos! @2    6 years ago
I'll bet people violate this one all the time.

You make the claim, you need to prove the claim.  Otherwise your "opinion" is worth squat.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2.1.1  Tacos!  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1    6 years ago
you need to prove the claim

Why? Does it seem controversial to you? Election law is pretty damned complicated and various and sundry codes get violated quite a bit. Obama's team even got busted.

Otherwise your "opinion" is worth squat.

Even "squat" seems a few steps up from what you have offered so far.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
2.2  Split Personality  replied to  Tacos! @2    6 years ago

Aren't most RICO cases based on communications & coordination of efforts?

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2.2.1  Tacos!  replied to  Split Personality @2.2    6 years ago

Yes, but they are directed at coordinating criminal activities. On it's surface, organizing a campaign strategy doesn't strike me as obviously criminal.

Don Overton
Sophomore Quiet
2.3  seeder  Don Overton  replied to  Tacos! @2    6 years ago

And you know all that because of?

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2.3.1  Tacos!  replied to  Don Overton @2.3    6 years ago
And you know all that because of?

Because I followed links in your seed. 

The first link took me to the original story at The Trace.

Way down in that story, they get into the specifics of the violations, which linked to this Federal Elections Commission site. That page sites specific codes, one of which I linked above. 

Something wrong with trying to understand what the alleged violations are?

MrFrost
Professor Expert
2.4  MrFrost  replied to  Tacos! @2    6 years ago
I'll bet people violate this one all the time.

I'll bet that doesn't make it legal. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2.4.1  Tacos!  replied to  MrFrost @2.4    6 years ago
I'll bet that doesn't make it legal.

No, of course not. I am wondering if it has been challenged yet. I think the code I linked above dates to 2001 or '03, I forget which. I know similar laws have been struck down, but maybe this one is ok.

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
3  livefreeordie    6 years ago

This is another nothing burger that is laughable to most Americans.  Only the left with their love of massive government control would even believe something like this should be law

Don Overton
Sophomore Quiet
3.1  seeder  Don Overton  replied to  livefreeordie @3    6 years ago

I have to giggle at all your comments like this.  You always blame the Left.  Seems to me you need to leave Fox and Fools out of your life.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  livefreeordie @3    6 years ago

Why is it when Trump may be breaking the law, his base calls it nothing burgers.  Yet y'all are still chanting "Lock her up!" in regards to the email thing, the same thing his own freaking gf/daughter just got called out over.

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
3.2.1  arkpdx  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @3.2    6 years ago
the same thing his own freaking gf/daughter just got called out over.

How many Emails has Ivanka failed to turn over? 

How many government relate Emails has she erased and destroyed? 

How many classified  Email does she have? 

Hillary commuted illegal acts concerning those issues and others, so no,  Ivanka is not accused of the same thing. 

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
3.2.3  Ozzwald  replied to  arkpdx @3.2.1    6 years ago
How many Emails has Ivanka failed to turn over? 

Don't know, no Republicans are demanding answers to that.

How many government relate Emails has she erased and destroyed?

According to her, none.  Same as Hillary.

How many classified  Email does she have?

Again, according to her, none.  Same answer Hillary gave.

Hillary commuted illegal acts concerning those issues and others, so no,  Ivanka is not accused of the same thing. 

What illegal acts, where are the charges? 

But YOU ARE correct, Ivanka IS NOT accused of the same thing because the Republicans choose not to....wonder why?  Democrats have already signaled that Ivanka's emails will be one of the things they look at after they take over the House.

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
3.2.4  arkpdx  replied to  Ozzwald @3.2.3    6 years ago
Same answer Hillary gave

Hillary lied. .

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
3.2.5  Ozzwald  replied to  arkpdx @3.2.4    6 years ago

Hillary lied. .

Prove it. 

Neither the Republicans or the FBI could show that she lied after multiple investigations.

Ender
Professor Principal
4  Ender    6 years ago

The NRA also had a Russian operative.

Prosecutors said in a statement that Butina, 29, had been “developing relationships with US persons and infiltrating organisations having influence in American politics, for the purpose of advancing the interests of the Russian federation”.

Butina was charged with conspiracy to act as a Russian agent within the US without notifying the attorney general. She was arrested on Sunday and appeared before a magistrate in Washington on Monday, officials said. In an affidavit, an FBI agent said investigators had searched Butina’s laptop computer and mobile phone.

She is known as a protege of Alexander Torshin, a senior official at the Russian central bank, who is also a longtime associate of the NRA. Torshin, who met  Donald Trump  Jr at an NRA event in 2016, was placed under sanction by the US in April.

Butina has a longstanding working relationship with Paul Erickson, an NRA member and conservative operative based in South Dakota. Erickson did not respond to a voicemail left on Monday afternoon.

The filings said the first American associate emailed an acquaintance on October 4 2016, about a month before the election, and said he had been “involved in securing a VERY private line of communication between the Kremlin” and leaders of the political party.

So the NRA is involved with, basically, a Russian spy and involved with a senior member of the Russian central bank. They are under investigation for money laundering.

On the surface what looks like a brazen and obvious campaign finance violation by the NRA and Trump could be linked to much more.  The NRA is already under investigation by the FBI  for potentially being a front used to launder Russian money and get it to the Trump campaign.  The NRA has admitted to taking Russian cash, but one of the most powerful activities that the NRA engages in is running ads for and against candidates.

The NRA (republicans) take Russian money, had a Russian spy and wanted a secret line to the Kremlin.

And all the republicans can say is, it's nothing. They need to investigate Hillary's emails.

freepress
Freshman Silent
5  freepress    6 years ago

Anything to make an extra buck. Regardless of the legality. Greed knows no bounds. When will right wingers start waking up to how badly they have been used by a massive lobbyist organization for profit?