╌>

An Epidemic Is Killing Thousands Of Coal Miners. Regulators Could Have Stopped It.

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  sandy-2021492  •  6 years ago  •  1 comments

An Epidemic Is Killing Thousands Of Coal Miners. Regulators Could Have Stopped It.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

A multiyear investigation by NPR and FRONTLINE found that Smith and Kelly are part of a tragic and recently discovered outbreak of the advanced stage of black lung disease, known as complicated black lung or progressive massive fibrosis.

A federal monitoring program reported just 99 cases of advanced black lung disease nationwide from 2011-2016. But NPR identified more than 2,000 coal miners suffering from the disease in the same time frame, and in just five Appalachian states.

And now, an NPR/FRONTLINE analysis of federal regulatory data — decades of information recorded by dust-collection monitors placed where coal miners work — has revealed a tragic failure to recognize and respond to clear signs of danger.

For decades, government regulators had evidence of excessive and toxic mine dust exposures, the kind that can cause PMF, as they were happening. They knew that miners like Kelly and Smith were likely to become sick and die. They were urged to take specific and direct action to stop it. But they didn’t.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
1  seeder  sandy-2021492    6 years ago
The toxic mine dust that causes severe disease isn’t coal dust alone. It includes silica, which is generated when miners cut sandstone as they mine coal. Many coal seams in central Appalachia are embedded in sandstone that contains quartz. And when quartz is cut by mining machines, it creates fine and barbed particles of silica dust — fine enough to be easily inhaled and sharp enough to lodge in lungs forever.

In the past 30 years, the biggest coal seams were mined out in Appalachia, leaving thinner seams coursing through sandstone.

“All the good seams were gone because there were hardly no solid seams of coal left,” the 54-year-old Kelly remembered. “And there [was] more rock in the coal.”

The silica dust that resulted from cutting that rock was far more dangerous than coal dust alone.

Silica is “somewhere around 20 times more toxic and can cause disease much more rapidly,” said Laney.