╌>

Federal prison guards fume about inmates getting special holiday meals, while guards work without pay

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  hal-a-lujah  •  5 years ago  •  10 comments

Federal prison guards fume about inmates getting special holiday meals, while guards work without pay
"That really p----d off our people," said Young. "You are seeing prisoners getting steak, roast beef and Cornish hens, and you can't put that kind of food on the table for your own family. That isn't right."

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

While federal prison officers worked through the holidays without pay, the inmates they guarded were treated to special yuletide meals, union officials reportedly fumed.

At the Coleman Federal Correctional Complex near Orlando, convicts dined on Cornish game hen and pie on Christmas and beef with black eyed peas and sweet desserts, according to USA Today.

"This is appalling," Joe Rojas, Coleman's union chief, told the newspaper. "We're not getting paid, and the inmates are eating steak. The inmates know what's going on; they know about the shutdown, and they are laughing at us."

The usual fare at Coleman - the nation's largest federal prison - is simple, like scrambled eggs and burgers, USA Today reported. Special meals are served by the Bureau of Prisons during the holidays to boost inmates' spirits, the paper claims.

More than 90 % of the BOP 38,000 employees are being forced to work without pay as a result of the government shutdown, which began right before Christmas on Dec. 22, union officials told USA Today.

"It sickens me to know these politicians would play politics ... with our staffers' livelihoods after working the most stressful job in America," the newspaper claims Eric Young, president of the national prison workers union, said.

"That really p----d off our people," said Young. "You are seeing prisoners getting steak, roast beef and Cornish hens, and you can't put that kind of food on the table for your own family. That isn't right."

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
1  seeder  Hal A. Lujah    5 years ago

According to the architect of this shutdown, these poor shmucks may not see a paycheck until these criminals have had next years Cornish hen feast.  Maybe they will upgrade to king crab next year!

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.1  Greg Jones  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @1    5 years ago

They're getting madder and madder at Auntie Nanny and Uncle Chucky, who want even more criminals in this country.

lady in black
Professor Quiet
1.1.1  lady in black  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1    5 years ago

They are getting mad at the one responsible and that would be trump, he was so proud to shut down the government 

Kavika
Professor Principal
2  Kavika     5 years ago

A couple of months or a year from now without pay the guards will be looking for or already working somewhere else. 

Seems some of that is happening with the airport security people. (TSA)

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.1  Ozzwald  replied to  Kavika @2    5 years ago
A couple of months or a year from now without pay the guards will be looking for or already working somewhere else. 

Most people now a days are living paycheck to paycheck, how they can last for over a month without that income is beyond me.  My wife and I could probably handle 1 - 2 months, but that is it, barring inheritance or the spouse being the primary bread winner, I do not know how anyone could last much longer working for free.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Kavika   replied to  Ozzwald @2.1    5 years ago

I agree with you Ozzwald. I know if it was me I'd be out looking for another job that actually paid me. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3  Trout Giggles    5 years ago

Hmmmmm....according to someone on another seed, these federal guard jobs are superfluous anyway.....

I'm kidding but the cheerleaders of the shutdown haven't thought this out very well. Now TSA agents want to walk off the job. Hope nobody wants to fly anywhere anytime soon