╌>

Margot Robbie to play Barbie in live-action movie

Category:  Entertainment

Via:  johnrussell  •  5 years ago  •  17 comments

"I'm so honored to take on this role and produce a film that I believe will have a tremendously positive impact on children and audiences worldwide,"

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

ANNIE MARTIN JANUARY 08, 2019

Margot-Robbie-to-play-Barbie-in-live-act

Jan. 8 (UPI) -- Margot Robbie will bring Barbie to life in a new movie.

E! News confirmed Tuesday the 28-year-old actress will produce and star in a live-action film from Warner Bros. and Mattel.

"This project is a great start to our partnership with [Ynon Kreiz] and Mattel Films," Warner Bros. Pictures Group chairman Toby Emmerich said. "And Margot is the ideal producer and actress to bring Barbie to life on screen in a fresh and relevant way for today's audiences."

Variety said Robbie will produce the film under her LuckyChap Entertainment banner with Tom Ackerley and Josey McNamara.

"Playing with Barbie promotes confidence, curiosity and communication throughout a child's journey to self-discovery," Robbie said. "Over the brand's almost 60 years, Barbie has empowered kids to imagine themselves in aspiration roles from a princess to president."

"I'm so honored to take on this role and produce a film that I believe will have a tremendously positive impact on children and audiences worldwide," she added. "I can't imagine better partners than Warner Bros. and Mattel to bring this film to the big screen."

Robbie replaces actress and comedian Amy Schumer , who dropped out of the project in March 2017 while the film was at Sony Pictures. Robbie signed a first-look deal with Warner Bros. in 2016.

"Barbie is one of the most iconic franchises in the world and we are excited to partner with Warner Bros. Pictures and Margot Robbie to bring her to life on the big screen," Mattel CEO Ynon Kreiz said.

Robbie is known for starring in I, Tonya and playing Harley Quinn in Suicide Squad . She most recently appeared alongside Saoirse Ronan in Mary Queen of Scots , which opened in theaters in December.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    5 years ago

I don't know how you could film a Barbie movie as anything other than a satire on materialism.

th?id=OP.VkIHmTZp2JyQ%2fQ300C300&w=180&h=150&rs=1&pid=21.1

th?id=OIP.ug0yGSL9oNUwNNLLVcTWfwHaFd&pid=Api

7856-9e59fd046687973015a3f956a136cb50.jpg

barbie50Culture_06xl.jpg

Split Personality
Professor Guide
2  Split Personality    5 years ago

They've been kicking this idea around since 2016?

I'm just guessing, but I think they should stick to animation......

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.2  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Split Personality @2    5 years ago

Barbie exists in a universe of things. Through little girls, Barbie is obsessed with her looks, her clothes, her accessories, her cars, and then I guess her boyfriend. That is all there is to barbie in any objective sense. That is what the movie would have to revolve around, although I suspect that they are going to present Barbie as a "role model" due to her "good heart" and concern for humanity.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
2.2.2  Split Personality  replied to  JohnRussell @2.2    5 years ago

I thought "Legally Blonde" covered that...already.

Oh well, lol

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2.2.3  Tacos!  replied to  Release The Kraken @2.2.1    5 years ago
she teaches young girls sexist societal stereo types

If only! Think of all the hot women that would be out there if girls took Barbie seriously.

They should make barbie a fat girl who loves Walmart.

See, this is the whole thing: We end up with those women in spite of Barbie's example.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
2.2.4  pat wilson  replied to  JohnRussell @2.2    5 years ago

She certainly travels. I saw her and Mickey Mouse when I visited Chile years ago.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
3  Freefaller    5 years ago

Miss Robbie is going to have a tough time getting into shape for the role as I believe Barbie's real life dimensions would be a 39DDD bust, 13 inch waist and 33 inch hips.  Along with straw thin arms and legs, size 3 feet and an obvious case of extreme anorexia this role could kill her.

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
4  Dean Moriarty    5 years ago

They should have went with Valeria  Lukyanova. 

Split Personality
Professor Guide
4.1  Split Personality  replied to  Dean Moriarty @4    5 years ago

Bad accent, lol

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
4.2  Freefaller  replied to  Dean Moriarty @4    5 years ago

Maybe I'm odd but I don't find her even remotely attractive (of course I'm making some pretty negative assumptions about her personality and intellect)

Tacos!
Professor Guide
5  Tacos!    5 years ago

So . . . not Amy Schumer? Kinda disappointing.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
6  pat wilson    5 years ago

She made a great Queen Elizabeth in Mary Queen of Scots.