╌>

Aging isn't a curse. But ageism is a serious global problem.

Category:  History & Sociology

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  5 years ago  •  10 comments

Aging isn't a curse. But ageism is a serious global problem.
Ashton Applewhite knows the (negative) stereotypes about getting older, but she's on a mission to change the way we think about aging. As the world's populating grows increasingly senior, Applewhite, the author of “This Chair Rocks: A Manifesto Against Ageism," joined THINK to talk about how we can take the shame out of this global phenomenon.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.    5 years ago

Having personally lived through this, I get it. How about you?

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.1  Sparty On  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    5 years ago

I'm curious.   How were you affected by it?

JBB
Professor Principal
2  JBB    5 years ago

It is fine to get old but you never want to get olde. /S I have no doubt we are all devalued by society as we get older. You can call it, "Deappreciation". It does not help that over time as our wages appreciate it gets to where newer cheaper more efficient models come along as competition. My replacement works for significantly less than I made. That is the way it goes especially in the business world. The worst part of retirement for me was the loss of identity. For forty years I was something I suddenly no longer was. I have adjusted though and could not handle that highly competitive rat race anymore. Anxiety and loneliness are also plagues for the aging. Friends die or move away. We must learn to adapt...

Ender
Professor Principal
2.1  Ender  replied to  JBB @2    5 years ago

I never felt bad for leaving a job.

Several times they either wished they had me back or never had me to begin with. One time I worked for a rent to own company. When I started we had about 300 accounts. I brought the store up to over 1500 accounts. Made them a lot of money. When I was let go (for nefarious reasons I will not get into) the store accounts dropped to under 500 in a year. Back to 300 last I heard.

So far for me, death rate has remained stable. I have known people that have died all of my life. Of course I imagine it will only get worse. I am going to a funeral tomorrow of a man I have known for years. Died of a heart attack. He was about 60.

Ender
Professor Principal
3  Ender    5 years ago

Do I have to learn more? This seems like it is trying to be educational.

Enoch
Masters Quiet
4  Enoch    5 years ago

Many societies venerate the aged.

They correctly construe that over time skill sets, victories, errors, and life long learning give us knowledge, venues for its successful use, perspective and wisdom.

This is a youth oriented society.

That has its benefits.

Change for the sake of change leads to a frittering away of time re-inventing wheels. Often replacing ones that work sustainably for those which are planned to be obsolete (hurting the environment).

"Not everything that is good is new. Not all that is new is good". (Rabbi Dr. Gerson Weiner).

Enoch.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4.1  Sparty On  replied to  Enoch @4    5 years ago

Like many from my generation i was raised to respect the older generations.   And for the most do. 

Unfortunately for more recent generations, not so much apparently.

Enoch
Masters Quiet
4.1.1  Enoch  replied to  Sparty On @4.1    5 years ago

Dear Friend Sparty On: So it seems.

Best case scenario, respect all generations.,

Each in their own way, for their own virtues.

What makes each different makes each unique.

We need them all.

Great post.

We are grateful.

Peace and Abundant Blessings to You and Yours in 2019 and Far Beyond.

Enoch.

Steve Ott
Professor Quiet
5  Steve Ott    5 years ago

At 55 it was tough to get a job. I was always "over qualified". A nice way of saying your too old and you might take my job. Eventually I was called back to my old job and am still there.

Here in El Paso, you see the mexican culture where they take care of the elderly. My neighborhood is a good example. You see the grandkids buying the homes of their grandparents, upgrading them some and keeping everyone together. They treat their people a lot different than the anglo community does.

Enoch
Masters Quiet
5.1  Enoch  replied to  Steve Ott @5    5 years ago

Dear Friend Steve Ott: Good on them.

And on you for noticing.

All Best Wishes for a Super 2019 and Beyond to You and Yours.

Enoch.