╌>

Judge declares Iowa fetal heartbeat law unconstitutional

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  gordy327  •  5 years ago  •  33 comments

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

DES MOINES, Iowa — A state judge has struck down Iowa's restrictive "fetal heartbeat" abortion law.
Judge Michael Huppert on Tuesday found the law unconstitutional. He concluded that the Iowa Supreme Court's earlier decisions that affirm a woman's fundamental right to an abortion would include the new law passed last year.
The law would ban once a fetal heartbeat is detected. That can happen as early as six weeks into pregnancy. It would have been the most restrictive anti-abortion law in the nation. But the legal challenge by abortion providers Planned Parenthood of the Heartland and the Emma Goldman Clinic had halted it from taking effect last July.
Supporters of the law are likely to ask the Iowa Supreme Court to hear an appeal of Huppert's ruling.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Gordy327    5 years ago

A good call by the judge. The "fetal heartbeat" law is blatantly unconstitutional. It boggles the mind why legislators in various states try to pass such laws when they are doomed to fail and be declared unconstitutional from the start.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
1.1  Bob Nelson  replied to  Gordy327 @1    5 years ago

Gradually moving the goalposts.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1.1  seeder  Gordy327  replied to  Bob Nelson @1.1    5 years ago
Gradually moving the goalposts.

They haven't moved. but that doesn't stop them from trying either.

epistte
Junior Guide
1.2  epistte  replied to  Gordy327 @1    5 years ago
A good call by the judge. The "fetal heartbeat" law is blatantly unconstitutional. It boggles the mind why legislators in various states try to pass such laws when they are doomed to fail and be declared unconstitutional from the start.

Politicians know that they have to pander to religious nuts, even if their ideas are blatantly unconstitutional. 

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.2.1  seeder  Gordy327  replied to  epistte @1.2    5 years ago
Politicians know that they have to pander to religious nuts, even if their ideas are blatantly unconstitutional

And what's more nutty than electing politicians who don't care about the Constitution or peoples rights.

epistte
Junior Guide
1.2.2  epistte  replied to  Gordy327 @1.2.1    5 years ago
And what's more nutty than electing politicians who don't care about the Constitution or peoples rights.

Women are still second-class citizens in the eyes of religious conservatives.  We are supposed to accept our fate as baby makers instead of demanding equality and having a voice in politics. 

The Bible is superior to the US Constitution in the eyes of religious nuts. 

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.2.3  seeder  Gordy327  replied to  epistte @1.2.2    5 years ago
The Bible is superior to the US Constitution in the eyes of religious nuts. 

I've actually heard some people say that too. or say that the Constitution should be replaced with the bible.

Women are still second-class citizens in the eyes of religious conservatives. We are supposed to accept our fate as baby makers instead of demanding equality and having a voice in politics.

Yep, nothing like subservience, eh? 

epistte
Junior Guide
1.2.4  epistte  replied to  Gordy327 @1.2.3    5 years ago
I've actually heard some people say that too. or say that the Constitution should be replaced with the bible.

These are usually the same conservative numbskulls who scream that the Obama and liberals ignored the US constitution and the rule of law.

I love this graphic from last weekend's womens march, 

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.2.5  Kavika   replied to  epistte @1.2.4    5 years ago

A great graphic. 

Wait until you see and read this article on the FP...The RW may have this backfire big time.

epistte
Junior Guide
1.2.6  epistte  replied to  Kavika @1.2.5    5 years ago

There will be no funding for the wall, and Nancy Pelosi won't support that legislation. It's a dead issue, so I'm not sure why the GOP would even try that stunt.  

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.2.7  Kavika   replied to  epistte @1.2.6    5 years ago

Using VAWA act as a threat is, IMO, a huge mistake by the republicans.

epistte
Junior Guide
1.2.8  epistte  replied to  Kavika @1.2.7    5 years ago
Using VAWA act as a threat is, IMO, a huge mistake by the republicans.

The GOP is already hemorrhaging women voters because of Trump, so why would they mention that idea and make it worse?

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.2.9  Kavika   replied to  epistte @1.2.8    5 years ago
so why would they mention that idea and make it worse?

Because they are stupid.

lady in black
Professor Quiet
1.2.10  lady in black  replied to  Kavika @1.2.5    5 years ago

They are throwing everything but the kitchen sink in so trump can get his wall, this is going to backfire on them.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.2.11  Tessylo  replied to  Kavika @1.2.5    5 years ago

Yet another dick move by the 'president'

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
1.2.12  Bob Nelson  replied to  Kavika @1.2.5    5 years ago
Wait until you see and read this article on the FP

Wacko...

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
1.2.13  Bob Nelson  replied to  Kavika @1.2.9    5 years ago
Because they are stupid.

Because they don't care about women, except as auxiliaries.

lady in black
Professor Quiet
2  lady in black    5 years ago

I know this is off topic but, NY just passed a broader abortion law and people I know on fb are spreading false information that it means you can abort up to the point of birth......grrrrrr....people can't read!

Section 2 of the bill creates a new Article 25-A of the Public Health
Law (PHL), which states that an abortion May be performed by a
licensed, certified, or authorized practitioner within 24 weeks from
the commencement of pregnancy, or there is an absence of fetal
viability, or at any time when necessary to protect a patient's life
or health.

epistte
Junior Guide
2.1  epistte  replied to  lady in black @2    5 years ago

That is true, but only if the life of the mother is in danger. The limit of elective abortion is currently between 22 and 24 weeks.

lady in black
Professor Quiet
2.1.1  lady in black  replied to  epistte @2.1    5 years ago

I know as NY wanted to pass this so mirror roe v. wade in case roe was ever overturned.  NY legalized abortion 3 yrs. before roe

lady in black
Professor Quiet
3  lady in black    5 years ago

On topic, I'm glad this judge declared this fetal heartbeat law unconstitutional.  Yes, I am way beyond child bearing but the shit they keep trying to pass is beyond insane.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
4  Hal A. Lujah    5 years ago

It’s humorous to listen to conservatives try and sound compassionate about abortion.  They like to consider the terms ‘ pro-life’ and ‘pro-women’ to be one in the same.  A couple days ago one told me that he is in favor of a right to choose for women who have been raped or for a severely disabled fetus.  However, he simply can’t follow his own ideology to its logical conclusions.  Imagine hopelessly clogging up the courts and prisons over questionable ‘rape’ cases, all because a minority of citizens can’t accept that a woman has a right to choose what happens to her own body.  Imagine the legal arguments shifting from should abortion be illegal to what defines ‘severely disabled’.  Imagine significantly delaying the abortion of a growing fetus because the mother needs to argue a case for its termination in the courts.  Imagine innocent men being imprisoned for rape, because their partner wanted to terminate a pregnancy.  

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
4.1  Bob Nelson  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @4    5 years ago
It’s humorous to listen to conservatives try and sound compassionate about abortion.

In more than a decade of forum debates, I have never met an anti-abortion partisan who can present a coherent argument.

It all comes down to: "God told my preacher and my preacher told me!" Strictly tribal, without any reasonable basis. The Bible is mute; science is irrelevant... "My preacher told me..."

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
4.1.1  Thrawn 31  replied to  Bob Nelson @4.1    5 years ago

They always revert back to god in some fashion, which is really funny considering their god has killed millions of babies and fetii.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
4.1.2  Bob Nelson  replied to  Thrawn 31 @4.1.1    5 years ago
They always revert back to god in some fashion...

But they rarely admit it.

The average MAGA-evangelical doesn't know what he's talking about. He has rote-learned a few bullet points, and repeats them like a parrot. The few - very few - who actually do understand the subject are eels: they wriggle away every time the conversation gets serious.

The problem is that there is no rational argument for them. A purely faith-based argument is always possible, but even then, they must claim that God speaks directly to them, and to none other.

So they scream "Baby Killers!!" They assume that enough repetition and volume will win in the end. They may be right.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
4.1.3  seeder  Gordy327  replied to  Bob Nelson @4.1.2    5 years ago

Their arguments are alway emotionally based or devolve into one. 

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
4.1.4  Bob Nelson  replied to  Gordy327 @4.1.3    5 years ago

All the evidence I've ever seen certainly points that way.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
6  Freefaller    5 years ago

Of course he/she did, just like every other time.  But will that stop the next attempt to restrict abortions, of course not

Gordy327
Professor Expert
6.1  seeder  Gordy327  replied to  Freefaller @6    5 years ago

And there's always a next time, right?

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
6.1.1  Freefaller  replied to  Gordy327 @6.1    5 years ago

Lol always

epistte
Junior Guide
7  epistte    5 years ago

Mike Dewine(R) has said that he is going to sign the previous heartbeat law that John Kasich had previously vetoed. These idiots just don't learn.  He admitted that the Iowa bill was struck down by the courts.

Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine (R) said Wednesday that he plans to sign a controversial "heartbeat bill" that would outlaw abortion after the detection of a fetal heartbeat. DeWine told conservative radio host Hugh Hewitt that he will "absolutely" sign the bill banning abortion as early as six weeks, which was vetoed last month by then-Gov. John Kasich (R). DeWine also predicted that he would face lawsuits after signing the bill and that the case will ultimately make its way to the Supreme Court. On Tuesday, an Iowa judge struck down a similar law in that state.