╌>

Mariano Rivera Acclaimed As Baseball's Greatest - First Ever Unanimous Selection To Hall Of Fame

Category:  Sports

By:  johnrussell  •  5 years ago  •  5 comments

Mariano Rivera Acclaimed As Baseball's Greatest - First Ever Unanimous Selection To Hall Of Fame

Morning Joe, a show which is almost entirely devoted to politics and news, led with this story this morning, indicating this is a big deal.

For the first time in baseball history a player has been elected to the Hall Of Fame by getting approval from every single one of the 400 + people who vote for the Baseball Hall Of Fame.

I am not a New York Yankees fan, I am the opposite of a New York Yankees fan, but we have have to stand back in admiration of such an unprecedented acclamation of greatness.

-

related

Mariano Rivera - Wikipedia

https:// en.wikipedia.org /wiki/ Mariano_Rivera

• Earned run average: 2.21

• Strikeouts: 1,173

• Saves: 652

• Win–loss record: 82–60

• Overview
  • Early life
  • Professional baseball career
  • Player profile
  • Legacy
  • Personal life

• Mariano Rivera is a Panamanian-American former professional baseball pitcher who played 19 seasons in Major League Baseball for the New York Yankees, from 1995 to 2013. Nicknamed "Mo" and "Sandman", Rivera spent most of his career as a relief pitcher and served as the Yankees' closer for 17 seasons. A thirteen-time All-Star and five-time World Series champion, he is MLB's career leader in saves and games finished. Rivera won five American League Rolaids Relief Man Awards and thr

========================================================

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  author  JohnRussell    5 years ago
And simply the greatest closer of all time, with a record 652 saves and five World Series championships. He may be the greatest player to wear a Yankee uniform since Babe Ruth. 

“It’s humbling to think of the incredible journey that Mariano has had over the course of his life,’’ Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said, “his unassuming beginnings in a Panamanian fishing village to pitching for the Yankees under the brightest lights with the world watching. I speak for every Yankees fan when I say how fortunate we were to have had him on our side for so long. 

“Clearly his World Series rings and longtime statistical dominance testify to his standing among the greats to ever play our sport. But no matter how big a star he became, he never failed to carry himself with unerring professionalism and class. Mo was always someone who I could point to and say, ‘That’s what a Yankee should be like.’ ’’

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2  Tacos!    5 years ago

Rivera's cutter was one of the sickest things I've seen in the game.

Four deserving guys made it this year. In addition to Rivera, the late Roy Halladay, Mike Mussina and Edgar Martinez also got in. I'm particularly happy for Martinez, the hit doctor. Tremendous skill with the bat.

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
2.1  Nowhere Man  replied to  Tacos! @2    5 years ago

Ted Williams was once asked by some forgotten sports media dude in an interview who the greatest pure hitter he'd ever seen....

Edgar Martinez. That's a pretty hefty recommendation there.

Originally a third baseman with the Mariners he became a permanent DH after eight seasons when his knees gave out and he could not fill the "Coffin Corner" any more. Five time all star, four time silver slugger. When he retired Baseball created a new annual award for DH's, and called it the Edgar Martinez award..... Nicknamed Mr Double. We knew him as Papi.....

Congratulations Edgar, you deserved it....

Kavika
Professor Principal
3  Kavika     5 years ago

Rivera is the greatest closer ever...Kudos