╌>

Texas advances bill that could make abortions punishable by death

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  krishna  •  5 years ago  •  16 comments

Patients who seek the procedure could in theory be punished with the death penalty.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

A total abortion ban criminalizing the procedure and classifying it as a homicide cleared a committee Tuesday and will now be debated at the Texas House of Representatives. If House Bill 896 becomes law, abortion could carry penalties ranging from a state jail felony to a capital felony, and patients who seek the procedure could in theory be punished with the death penalty.

The bill alters Texas' penal code, eliminating the exception for abortions from the definition of criminal homicide. Therefore, everyone involved in providing abortion care — from physicians and nurses to patients seeking this type of care — would face murder charges. HB896 makes no exceptions for rape, incest, or cases where the women's life is in danger. Tinderholt also proposed the legislation would be enforced "regardless of any contrary federal law, executive order, or court decision," which would go directly against  Roe v. Wade .

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Krishna
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Krishna    5 years ago

Texas has historically been ground zero for attacks on access to abortion care. The state already bans abortions after 21.6 weeks, requires women to wait 24 hours between receiving mandatory counseling on abortion care and undergoing the procedure, restricts the use of telemedicine to obtain abortion medication, among several other regulations. Texas was also at the center of the U.S. Supreme Court battle over House Bill 2 (HB2), a measure which led to the closure of about two dozen of the 44 clinics in the state. The court struck down the law in 2016, but the damage was done.

Let's face it: most people, left t their own devices, are sinners. The only real solution to this problem is to have a more powerful government-- one that has more power to enforce morality in the lives of its citizens!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Krishna @1    5 years ago
Let's face it: most people, left t their own devices, are sinners. The only real solution to this problem is to have a more powerful government-- one that has more power to enforce morality in the lives of its citizens!

Which is ironic, since most Texans want less government, not more, but they make an exception when it comes to their religious beliefs. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.1.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.1    5 years ago
Which is ironic, since most Texans want less government, not more, but they make an exception when it comes to their religious beliefs. 

I call them "Big Government Republicans". 

They want a big expansion of government power, into a new area: regulating morality.

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.1.2  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @1.1.1    5 years ago
I call them "Big Government Republicans".  They want a big expansion of government power, into a new area: regulating morality.

Most people probably forgot what Trump said about punishing women who have abortions during the campaign. So...here it is. (I am posting this as a public service jrSmiley_9_smiley_image.gif ).

Of course Trump was, and still is, the consummate bullshitter....notice how he keeps trying to avoid saying what he believes-- and how unusually skillful the moderator is in pinning him down:

Krishna
Professor Expert
2  seeder  Krishna    5 years ago

HB896 makes no exceptions for rape, incest, or cases where the women's life is in danger. Tinderholt also proposed the legislation would be enforced "regardless of any contrary federal law, executive order, or court decision," which would go directly against Roe v. Wade.

luther28
Sophomore Silent
3  luther28    5 years ago

Seemingly an oxymoron, are these not the same folks espousing the sanctity of life?

Or are we dropping any Christian pretenses and going Old Testament getting that eye for an eye?

epistte
Junior Guide
3.1  epistte  replied to  luther28 @3    5 years ago
Or are we dropping any Christian pretenses and going Old Testament getting that eye for an eye?

These numbskulls should read their Bible because Jesus (the guy who they claim to be their savior and the son of god) told them not to do that.

Matthew 5:38

38 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’ 39 But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also. 40 And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well. 41 If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles. 42 Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
4  MrFrost    5 years ago

I heard this bill was shot down this morning. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4.2  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  MrFrost @4    5 years ago

Well, praise the lord!

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
4.2.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4.2    5 years ago

Thank heavens! That is one of the most worthless pieces of legislation I have seen in a long time. 

Gordy327
Professor Expert
4.2.2  Gordy327  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @4.2.1    5 years ago

Unfortunately,  I doubt it will be the last.

epistte
Junior Guide
4.2.3  epistte  replied to  Gordy327 @4.2.2    5 years ago

Mike DeWine signed the heartbeat bill in Ohio. It will be tossed out by the courts, just as they were before. He previously pledged before he was going to be a different kind of Republican, but now we know he is just another religious shill. 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
4.2.4  MrFrost  replied to  Gordy327 @4.2.2    5 years ago

Most likely not. 

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
5  bbl-1    5 years ago

On the pedestal of polished alabaster the craven image of the fetus was placed.  All cowered in fear of that which was not yet among them.

lady in black
Professor Quiet
6  lady in black    5 years ago

I blasted tinderfucktard on fb yesterday, wanted to do the same today, but alas I was blocked from commenting on any of his posts.