╌>

Over 500,000 'Game of Thrones' fans sign petition for remake of season 8

Category:  Entertainment

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  5 years ago  •  30 comments

Over 500,000 'Game of Thrones' fans sign petition for remake of season 8
"This series deserves a final season that makes sense," the petition says.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

By   Elisha Fieldstadt

Spoiler alert: Season 8 of "Game of Thrones" won't get remade.

But more than 500,000 fans are calling for a do-over.

A Change.org petition called "Remake Game of Thrones Season 8 with competent writers" had garnered 505,605 signatures by about 2 p.m. Thursday, and was gaining more supporters by the second.

"David Benioff and D.B. Weiss have proven themselves to be woefully incompetent writers when they have no source material (i.e. the books) to fall back on," the petition gripes.

HBO's "Game of Thrones" started outpacing George R.R. Martin's series of novels in season six.

"This series deserves a final season that makes sense," the petition says.

After the show was on hiatus for all of 2018, the premiere of season eight last month was the most-watched one-day event in HBO's more than four-decade history.

With millions of viewers, a few "Game of Thrones" fans are bound to have problem with aspects of each episode, but viewers started complaining en masse after a nearly-too-dark-to-see Battle of Winterfell in   episode three .

What fans   could   see though was a wild anachronism — a paper coffee cup —   accidentally left in a scene   of the next episode.

"My favorite show in the entire world forgot a STARBUCKS COFFEE CUP ON THE TABLE WHILE FILMING," one dumbfounded fan wrote on Twitter.

HBO acknowledged that the presence of the disposable cup in the scene was a mistake, and later edited it out of the episode.

Then fans thought they had caught another editing error when a promotional photo from HBO showed Jaime's right hand, which he lost in season three. But the photos are mostly taken during production, before special effects are added, and the image never showed up in episode five.

Crisis averted — well, briefly.

In the penultimate episode of the series, which aired Sunday, Daenerys executed Lord Varys before wiping out King's Landing and most of its population, even after the bells of surrender sounded. Many thought the massacre was completely out-of-character for Daenerys — or at the very least needed more of a buildup.

HBO did not immediately respond to requests for comment regarding the petition, but some are taking it upon themselves to defend HBO and the GoT writers.

"Who convinced the entire (expletive) world that it’s entitled to exactly what they demand? You don’t like something, leave it and find something else that makes you happy," TV Insider writer Damian Holbrook said on Twitter.

There's even a counterpetition urging people to "Stop Signing Petitions Forcing TV Shows and Movies to Meet Your Demands." That petition had about 1,300 signatures Thursday afternoon.

While a remake of the last season of "Game of Thrones" is unlikely, fans can at least look forward to a   spinoff prequel series   written by   Jane Goldman .

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.    5 years ago

Don't know that I hated it, but also not sure if I am enjoying it either.

This kind of reminds me of the ending of the TV series "Homicide, Life on the Streets". I thought the ending was poetic, but a bit disheartening, but fans who were horrified that our hero could make a possibly flawed ethical decision, wrote endlessly to get a better ending. One year later, they got their 2 part 4 hour ending, that was not poetic, and just horrific, with even a worse ending. 

Be careful about what you wish for. 

So would you sign and why?

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.1  Greg Jones  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    5 years ago

Nope, I go where the writers and producers take the series. I have no choice. But I never watched this show so I have no opinion on it.

I did not like the way "Colony" ambiguously ended after three seasons. So the invasion began...what eventually happened to Will and Katie and their kids and all the other main characters? We'll never know. We do know that the sleazy Snyder somehow ended up NCIS-LA. Talk about the miracles of television.

The unique and well done "Gotham" wrapped up all the loose ends decently and Batman made his appearance at the very end.

"Vikings", another very well done series, will end after the upcoming season. Hopefully Ivar will get what's coming to him, and that Lagertha will emerge victorious to the very end.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1    5 years ago
I did not like the way "Colony" ambiguously ended after three seasons.

Yeah, I thought that was not nice. They could have invested a little for the fans and give it an ending. Other series have done that. 

The Man in the High Castle ends this year after 4 years and they are giving it a proper ending. Same thing with "Falling Skies". Oh well. 

lady in black
Professor Quiet
1.1.2  lady in black  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1    5 years ago

I'm not happy that they cancelled Colony :(

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.1.3  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  lady in black @1.1.2    5 years ago

Totally agree and just when it was getting really interesting. 

I watch "The Expanse" and that show was supposed to end 3 times and the fans did huge write-ins and some other network picked it up, each time. And the story only got better as it went along. 

lady in black
Professor Quiet
2  lady in black    5 years ago

I love GOT, I know this season is compacted and yes I wish things were flushed out a bit more but for crying out loud it's a TV show. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  lady in black @2    5 years ago
but for crying out loud it's a TV show. 

But after 8 years of watching it, I think that fans wanted a good ending.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
3  1stwarrior    5 years ago

On a serious note - where can you go when the author of the books still hasn't finished his series - yet TV and the public want to see an ending?  The TV writers have absolutely no direction to go to maintain the flow of GRRM's vision of how his story is to go/have gone, so they have had to play it by ear.  Not a very good ear either.

Lambasting Martin - the series has been on for EIGHT years - how friggin' long does it take to finish one book?

lady in black
Professor Quiet
3.1  lady in black  replied to  1stwarrior @3    5 years ago

GRRM did give them the major plot points to follow but not how to get there. 

Ender
Professor Principal
3.2  Ender  replied to  1stwarrior @3    5 years ago

After all this, I don't see how it couldn't influence his writing. It could not be the same as if the show never happened.

All of this will be in his mind, so I don't believe it could ever be as organic as he might of originally written.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.3  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  1stwarrior @3    5 years ago
Lambasting Martin - the series has been on for EIGHT years - how friggin' long does it take to finish one book?

Yeah, I totally blame him, if there is any blame to be made. 

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
4  Jack_TX    5 years ago

I don't get why people think any of this is out of character. 

How many people has DT executed during the last 6  or 7 seasons?  It's at least hundreds, if not thousands.

She's burned them alive, crucified them, locked them in a vault to starve to death, had the dragons burn them alive or had them put to the sword.  She's killed people far more innocent than Varis and done so with far less hesitation.

She says outright before the attack on King's Landing that she doesn't give a shit about the people living there.  They are a price that must be paid to "liberate the world from future tyrants".  Which not only reveals the possibility many of them are about to die, it also states very clearly that she hasn't outgrown the naive idealism that she's shown for at least the last 5 seasons.  Not only is she now 90% of the way to full tyrant, what would ever stop a future tyrant from emerging in an absolute monarchy?  Tyrants are like weeds.  Given favorable conditions, they'll keep cropping up forever.

Ender
Professor Principal
4.1  Ender  replied to  Jack_TX @4    5 years ago

I agree. She has been that way from the beginning. People just want it to be a certain way. Maybe trying to read more than was there.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4.1.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Ender @4.1    5 years ago

I totally agree with you guys. She has shown she had these tendencies with how she killed her brother, and how she was all about "bending the knee". She just seemed to evolve a bit, but this kind of proves Varis right. I guess people didn't want to think about her that way. It was just so easy to see people who wore their deeds on their sleeve, to either like or dislike. 

lady in black
Professor Quiet
4.2  lady in black  replied to  Jack_TX @4    5 years ago

Her worse impulses were kept in check when Jorah and Barristan were around

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4.2.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  lady in black @4.2    5 years ago

Agreed.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
4.2.2  Jack_TX  replied to  lady in black @4.2    5 years ago
Her worse impulses were kept in check when Jorah and Barristan were around

I think so, to the extent she would listen to them.  But remember when she got in a snit fired Jorah?  All Tywin Lannister had to do was send a letter and let his most powerful enemy nearly do herself in.

I do think the character development in the story has been really very good.  Seeing their transformations over the years has been a true joy.  It seems as though most of the major characters have become their direct opposites over the years.  The most static are probably John and Cersei.  But Tyrion has gone from drunken whoremonger to champion of the people.  Sansa has gone from ridiculously aggravating teenager to sophisticated leader.  Danerys has gone from a teen bride sold against her will to (power mad) queen who refuses to be challenged.  Bran has gone from curious 10 year old climbing walls to something almost not of this world.

It's been a fantastic ride.

lady in black
Professor Quiet
4.2.3  lady in black  replied to  Jack_TX @4.2.2    5 years ago

Yes it has....I'm so sad it's ending.....I arrived late to the GOT party.....binged watched Seasons 1 - 3 right before Season 4 started.  I've read all ASOIAF books.

Ender
Professor Principal
5  Ender    5 years ago

I just seemed kind of rushed to me. They wanted to end the series so they just packed as much as they could into a couple of episodes.

HBO is notorious for not having very long series. Six Feet Under was only five seasons. True Blood did last for seven.

I also think money was a big factor.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
5.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Ender @5    5 years ago

But they made a ton of money on the show.. so I don't think it was that. I think they just didn't have the books anymore, so we got crappy TV writers. 

JBB
Professor Principal
5.1.1  JBB  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @5.1    5 years ago

How would bad writing explain the decline in production value? Episode 3 was basically a blackout and 5 was a lot of cut and paste CGI effects and long distance shots of a model city. This season the production seems cheaper and sloppy compared with the lush production values they exhibited earlier on...

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
5.1.2  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  JBB @5.1.1    5 years ago

Well, I think blowing up an entire city used a big chunk of the budget. 

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
5.2  Jack_TX  replied to  Ender @5    5 years ago

A big problem all successful series have is keeping the talent locked down.   All of these actors are now in very high demand and want to move on to other even more lucrative projects.  

Ender
Professor Principal
5.2.1  Ender  replied to  Jack_TX @5.2    5 years ago

I read an interview with Maisie Williams. When she started the series she was 12. She said that now that it is over, she can be herself.

JBB
Professor Principal
5.3  JBB  replied to  Ender @5    5 years ago

I have read that the GOT budget is ten million per episode. If so, this season's episodes #3 & #5 were done on the cheap. Compared with earlier season's battle episodes it seemed they cut a lot of corners this year. Maybe it is end of series profit taking by producers while HBO is still paying. Surely some episodes are much harder to capture on budget. Compared with say, Cold Harbor, this year's big battles were quite disappointing. 

Ender
Professor Principal
5.3.1  Ender  replied to  JBB @5.3    5 years ago

I read an interview from Conleth Hill, who played Varys. He was kind of pissed off that they killed of his character so close to the end.

It made me think that maybe some of the people that last through the whole series get more cash. Maybe a bonus or something.

JBB
Professor Principal
5.3.2  JBB  replied to  Ender @5.3.1    5 years ago

I do not know but it just seems like they are cutting corners at the end...

I knew people would be complaining as I watched the last few episodes. The disappointment is universal and not just with the story line...

lady in black
Professor Quiet
5.4  lady in black  replied to  Ender @5    5 years ago

HBO wanted them to do 10 episodes but D&D didn't want to 

evilone
Professor Guide
6  evilone    5 years ago

This only shows that over 500k people are stupid and not deserving attention beyond some minor mocking and mild derision. It's a television show people. If you don't like it stop watching it. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
7  TᵢG    5 years ago

I think part of this is a result of the GoT being so extraordinarily good for 7 seasons.   We (fans) naturally expected that season 8 would be at least as good (if not better).  

My conclusion, having considered this now for a while, is that the screen writers rushed the timeline too much.   They did not develop the story appropriately so activities (e.g. the development of an unbelievably powerful, accurate and flexible scorpion weapon following inexplicably by the absurdly easy defeat of dozens of same using 'fancy navigation' by the single target) and the behavior of characters changed too abruptly.   Daeny's apparent madness came on suddenly and (maybe episode 6 will explain) is not only unjustified, but it works directly against Daeny's stated interest.

A minor secondary example is the behavior of Bronn.   Totally out of character to turn on Jamie and Tyrion who both had been friends with Bronn.   I can easily see him coming to them and stating that Cersei made him a deal, what is the counteroffer?   If they refused, then I can see him taking the position:  I am sorry gents but I then must kill you, nothing personal.    But to start with the asshole attitude as if they were simply prey and had not both been friends with Bronn virtually the entire series was artificial.   ( This is minor, but it does go to the point as to why fans are not thrilled with season 8.  )