╌>

Full FutureHAUS: Inside the hi-tech home of the future

Category:  Other

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  5 years ago  •  40 comments

Full FutureHAUS: Inside the hi-tech home of the future
Virginia Tech's FutureHAUS combines modular construction and cutting-edge technology. The goal is not only to invent the future of housing, but also invent the future of how they will be built.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.    5 years ago

The shape of things to come in housing. But does it feel like home?

katrix
Sophomore Participates
1.1  katrix  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    5 years ago

I don't want a smart house - or a smart car.  If I can use an app to unlock my doors, so can a hacker.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  katrix @1.1    5 years ago

Interesting point but I am sure they have firewalls for these homes. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  katrix @1.1    5 years ago

If I have my keys in my pocket or my purse I can lock and unlock my car just by touching the handle. That doesn't mean it's fool proof from car thieves, but if they could use that same kind of technology with houses....

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2  Ed-NavDoc    5 years ago

They  may be the shape of things to come, but they will for many years most likely be affordable to only the upper crust of society. That is the way technology innovation goes. Still a pretty cool idea though.

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
2.1  SteevieGee  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @2    5 years ago

I don't know about all the high tech stuff but I've drawn up designs years ago where you have movable walls where you could have a small bedroom and a small living room but if needed you can slide the wall over basically eliminating the bedroom and making a much larger living room.  This doesn't need to be expensive as it adds versatility without adding square footage.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2.1.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  SteevieGee @2.1    5 years ago

I agree with you about the living space part. I was referring primarily to the expense of the  technical and electronic components

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.1.2  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  SteevieGee @2.1    5 years ago

Wow, very cool Steve. You are ahead of your time. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.1.3  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @2.1.1    5 years ago

Ed,

I think the cost will come down in time. I remember when flat screen TV's were over 10K and now they are in the hundreds. 

Ender
Professor Principal
2.1.4  Ender  replied to  SteevieGee @2.1    5 years ago

I have actually seen articles and video of apartments like that. In places that are tight on space, like NYC.

Movable walls, furniture and unique hidden storage.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2.1.5  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Ender @2.1.4    5 years ago

I hear that is becoming a common feature on naval vessels these days.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
2.1.6  Freefaller  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @2.1.5    5 years ago

Anything is an improvement over the old days.  I remember all the messes I lived in on ship had tonnes of wasted space that could have been designed much better.  Instead you had your bunk and half a locker that could hold approx. 2 uniforms, a set of civi's and toiletries to last however long you were at sea.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2.1.7  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Freefaller @2.1.6    5 years ago

I was on a LPH (USS OKINAWA LPH-3). Our berthing area was right above the fan tail. Our tracks were stacked four high with personal item storage under the racks. Was so glad I had the bottom rack. Our berthing area was just behind Medical and would have been converted into a hospital ward in a emergency.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
2.1.8  Freefaller  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @2.1.7    5 years ago
Our berthing area was right above the fan tail.

That sounds like fun, I imagine the engine drone made sleeping easier.  My fave was three years up in 1 mess, it was above the waterline and almost at the pointy end so high seas were like sleeping on a roller coaster.  I was lucky and most of the time had the top rack (3 tiers) which gave you a little extra storage room and a place to hang your towel on top of the pipes and conduits

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2.1.9  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Freefaller @2.1.8    5 years ago

Yeah, we had a scuttle that opened up right over the fan tail. When they called garbage detail, we just opened the hatch and slid right down that ladder. Used to tick other departments off because Medical was always first in line.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
2.1.10  Freefaller  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @2.1.9    5 years ago
we had a scuttle that opened up right over the fan tail.

Very nice

LOL, the medics on my ships were great, my office was just down the hall from sickbay so they'd come grab me as a casualty sim for emergency drills so I'd only rarely have to do my actual emergency stations jobs.

Enoch
Masters Quiet
3  Enoch    5 years ago

Dear Friend Perrie: It looks like a high tech house.

For anything level of technology, to be a home it needs warm loving mutually supportive family dwellers.

P&AB.

Enoch.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Enoch @3    5 years ago

Very true Enoch. Home is where the heart is. 

I guess I should have said feel homey. 

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
4  Freefaller    5 years ago

Knowing me I'd probably just end up permanently locked out of my own home or cause the fridge or something to blow up

katrix
Sophomore Participates
4.1  katrix  replied to  Freefaller @4    5 years ago

Yeah, but at least it would all be on video.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  katrix @4.1    5 years ago

Then we could laugh it about here on NT

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4.1.2  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.1.1    5 years ago

I'm laughing already. 

Ready for the demo! 

cms5
Freshman Quiet
5  cms5    5 years ago

I'm dating myself here...but sing along with me if you know the tune..."Meet George Jetson, his boy Elroy...."

When it comes to the Internet of Things...who exactly controls security/privacy?

I love the idea of 'smart' homes...but I'm like a lot of people who prefer privacy in the home. I understand when I'm on my smartphone or computer what the risks are...and I'd like to think I'm pretty cautious about what I click on. My Kindle has Alexa...and she's turned off. My computer has Cortana...never used. My TV and phone are android devices that allow you to speak to google. (I made the mistake of turning that on for my phone. While having an argument with my husband...my phone was making all kinds of 'suggestions'!) Both 'voice activated' devices were quickly disabled.

When I saw the cabinet that raises or lowers to the users height...I thought, 'Oh Cool'...then 'oh wait, now an IOT object knows my height?' What do these items report back to their 'creators'?

It could be my age, but geeze...I prefer privacy in my home...and control over who I invite into it.

evilone
Professor Guide
5.1  evilone  replied to  cms5 @5    5 years ago
When it comes to the Internet of Things...who exactly controls security/privacy?

In theory the user. In reality mostly no one. There are new things going on in the home router that will make things a little better, but people should still change their home wifi passwords like they change their smoke detector batteries.

I have an Alexa device in my living room. True story - yesterday at lunch - 

Character on the TV: "I'll take my payment now."

Alexa: "I'll contact (credit card company) for you now." 

Me: "Alexa STOP!" 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
5.1.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  evilone @5.1    5 years ago

I don't want to near an Alexa. But my kids both have one. I like my privacy. 

But funny story though!

cms5
Freshman Quiet
5.1.2  cms5  replied to  evilone @5.1    5 years ago
I have an Alexa device in my living room. True story - yesterday at lunch - 

Character on the TV: "I'll take my payment now."

Alexa: "I'll contact (credit card company) for you now." 

Me: "Alexa STOP!" 

Yikes!!

Yes, users are ultimately responsible. I believe that makers of these IOT items must disclose in LARGE PRINT exactly how they will be using any data collected...or commands, or conversations. They too must be held responsible.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.1.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  evilone @5.1    5 years ago

Mr Giggles used Alexa on the TV in the Man Cave all the time. He tells it to turn on the TV and turn it off. I once had an argument with it.

But I don't use Alexa in my living room or my bedroom. I don't trust it

evilone
Professor Guide
5.1.4  evilone  replied to  cms5 @5.1.2    5 years ago

I agree so far we have some of the big tech companies giving lip service to self restraint, but as older lawmakers retire and newer more tech savvy ones are brought in more will be required on that front. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
5.2  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  cms5 @5    5 years ago

I agree about privacy issues, and I am sure a house like this has the same way of disabling features like your phone has.

The up/ down works on simple optics. It doesn't require anyone to intervene. 

And I remember the Jetson's too... so we are both old, LOL

cms5
Freshman Quiet
5.2.1  cms5  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @5.2    5 years ago
The up/ down works on simple optics. It doesn't require anyone to intervene. 

As long as the optics are not on the wifi...I could use one of those cabinets! Otherwise, no thanks. Data collection leads to ads on other devices.

If you disable features in a 'smart home'...just how smart would it be? I've disabled quite a bit on my phone...and with each update, I must go back through and disable things. It seems the more I disable...the more updates I get. Google isn't happy with me at all.

luther28
Sophomore Silent
6  luther28    5 years ago

Nope not me, my washing machines control panel looks like something out of Star Trek.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
6.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  luther28 @6    5 years ago

Luther.... Join us in the 21st Century and embrace your washing machine for all it can do for you, LOL.

luther28
Sophomore Silent
6.1.1  luther28  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @6.1    5 years ago
embrace your washing machine for all it can do for you

Only on the spin cycle Perrie :)

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  luther28 @6    5 years ago

Star Trek:TOS or Star Trek:TNG?

luther28
Sophomore Silent
6.2.1  luther28  replied to  Trout Giggles @6.2    5 years ago

TOS, the simpler version :)

evilone
Professor Guide
7  evilone    5 years ago

I have:

Alexa speakers given to me for free. I use them for music, and to find my phone when I misplace it.
A Google smart thermostat bought on discount through a state energy savings program. Google has recently closed off 3rd party applications that would work with Google smart appliances for security reasons - I think this includes ITTT (If This Then That) programming.
3 couple of smart plugs. These do not connect through the internet, but I have a smart power strip on my aquarium equipment that does.
Several Hue smart lights. These are super convenient, but expensive. 

Ender
Professor Principal
8  Ender    5 years ago

I would feel like I was living in a space ship.

And to think I would be happy with a Roomba.

evilone
Professor Guide
9  evilone    5 years ago

Here's an interesting article I just read that applies to Amazon and Alexa - 

“This is an incredibly broad arbitration clause, and what it’s seeking to do is basically take this one transaction involving Alexa and to have the arbitration clause cover anything that you do with Amazon,” Deepak Gupta, an attorney who is also teaching a seminar at Harvard Law School on forced arbitration, tells Gizmodo. “I think it’s particularly troubling because Amazon is this company that is involved in virtually any kind of consumer product or service you can think of, they are in that market or expanding into it.”

Ender
Professor Principal
10  Ender    5 years ago

Why do I get the feeling this house would take a lot of windex.

Also if the prefab walls come with all electric and plumbing, and just plug into one another, if one section goes out, would one have to replace that whole wall section?

Steve Ott
Professor Quiet
11  Steve Ott    5 years ago

Very, very cool. Now, can they do the same with straw bales or adobe?

A very nice solution to living on the grid.

I would like to live off the grid, except for the net. The net is my heroin.