╌>

Disney C.E.O. Warns Georgia Abortion Law Would Make it ‘Very Difficult’ to Film in the State

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  krishna  •  5 years ago  •  6 comments

Disney C.E.O. Warns Georgia Abortion Law Would Make it ‘Very Difficult’ to Film in the State
“I rather doubt we will” continue filming in the state, Iger said. “I think many people who work for us will not want to work there, and we will have to heed their wishes in that regard.”

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Disney CEO Bob Iger  (Jeff Kravitz/FilmMagic)

Disney’s chief executive, Bob Iger, said on Wednesday it would be “very difficult” for the company to continue filming in Georgia if the state’s highly restrictive abortion law is carried out.

Iger’s comments, made in an interview with Reuters, were the strongest sign yet that Hollywood could pull back from Georgia, which has lured television and film producers with generous tax breaks, but has also at times repelled the industry with its politics.

“I rather doubt we will” continue filming in the state, Iger said. “I think many people who work for us will not want to work there, and we will have to heed their wishes in that regard.”

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Krishna
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Krishna    5 years ago

Within a day, two other major media companies said that they, too, would reconsider filming in Georgia.

In a statement on Thursday, NBCUniversal said that if the Georgia law was upheld after legal challenges, “it would strongly impact our decision-making on where we produce our content in the future.”

WarnerMedia, the parent company of HBO, CNN and other major channels, sounded a similar note.

Krishna
Professor Expert
2  seeder  Krishna    5 years ago

This week, Ted Sarandos, the chief content officer at Netflix, had said the company would “rethink our entire investment in Georgia” if the law went into effect.

“We have many women working on productions in Georgia, whose rights, along with millions of others, will be severely restricted by this law,” Sarandos said. “It’s why we will work with the A.C.L.U. and others to fight it in court. Given the legislation has not yet been implemented, we’ll continue to film there — while also supporting partners and artists who choose not to.”

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4  Sparty On    5 years ago

Yeah, Iger has a problem with Georgia but evidentially no problem with the massive human rights violator China.

What a hypocritical ass.