╌>

U.S. Catholic Cardinal Favors Restricting ‘Large-Scale’ Immigration Of Muslims

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  krishna  •  5 years ago  •  16 comments

U.S. Catholic Cardinal Favors Restricting ‘Large-Scale’ Immigration Of Muslims
A century after his Irish ancestors arrived in America in pursuit of a new life, Cardinal Raymond Burke is lashing out at Muslims seeking to do the same today.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Cardinal Raymond Leo Burke (AP/Gregorio Borgia)

Cardinal Raymond L. Burke, a staunch Catholic traditionalist and one of Pope Francis’ leading critics , said restricting Muslim immigration is a patriotic and “responsible” stance.

Church doctrine is clear that Catholics must help “individuals that are not able to find a way of living in their own country,” the cardinal said during a conference in Rome on May 17. But the church doesn’t have that same obligation toward immigrants who are “opportunists” ― particularly, Muslims, he said.

Islam “by definition believes itself to be destined to rule the world,” Burke said. 

“You don’t have to be a rocket scientist to see what has happened in Europe,” the cardinal added, pointing to countries like France, Germany and Italy.

“They resist the authority, the legitimate authority, of the state,” Burke said about Muslims. “And so to be opposed to wholesale or large-scale Muslim immigration is, in fact, as far as I’m concerned, the responsible exercise of one’s patriotism.” 

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Krishna
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Krishna    5 years ago

In the past, Pope Francis has said he believes governments have the right to carefully assess whether they are able to properly integrate new arrivals. But overall, he has encouraged his flock to be welcoming toward migrants regardless of their faith ― setting an example by personally bringing a group of Syrian Muslim refugees to resettle in Rome.

Krishna
Professor Expert
2  seeder  Krishna    5 years ago

The cardinal’s remarks are notable given the discrimination faced by generations of Catholic immigrants to the U.S. When a massive influx of German, Italian and Irish Catholic immigrants arrived on America’s shores in the 19th century, nativist politicians issued dire warnings that the newcomers would steal jobs, spread disease and crime, and infiltrate American politics in an attempt to put the pope in power.

Misinformation about Catholics spread through the country via salacious pamphlets and books. In 1844, nativist mobs attacked Catholic churches and homes in Philadelphia. In the 1850s, this anti-Catholic sentiment grew into a formidable political force ― resulting in the formation of a blatantly anti-immigrant political party, the Know-Nothings.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3  Kavika     5 years ago

Perhaps the Cardinal should go back to Ireland...

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
4  Larry Hampton    5 years ago

What are we supposed to do about the terrorists causing the most problems then?

America’s greatest terrorist threat? White supremacists.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
4.1  Greg Jones  replied to  Larry Hampton @4    5 years ago

The whole total of them would probably fit in a modest sized auditorium.

I would be much more concerned about antifa and violent left wing activists.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
4.1.1  MrFrost  replied to  Greg Jones @4.1    5 years ago
antifa

So, you are pro fascism? Asking for a country.

Anyway, I don't see Antifa lynching people, screaming racial slurs, chanting, "blood and soil", "the Jews will not replace us", etc.. 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
5  MrFrost    5 years ago

Not that I am surprised, but maybe he should check some facts.

Since 9/11, less than 300 people have been killed by Muslims in the USA. In that same time frame, over 205,000 people have been killed by non-Muslims. 

You seriously have a better chance of being killed by a vending machine than you do a Muslim terrorist. 

It's sad that the fake news right wing media has many on the right actually believing that ALL Muslims are terrorists. This 'cardinal' has been spending too much time on the fake news right wing web sites. 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
6  MrFrost    5 years ago
Church doctrine is clear that Catholics must help “individuals that are not able to find a way of living in their own country,”

This must be one of those 'rules' that can be skipped, (when the political agenda tells them to). 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
7  Greg Jones    5 years ago

Islamic terror cells....

soon coming to a neighborhood mosque near you.

Unbelievable how blind some people can be.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7.1  Tessylo  replied to  Greg Jones @7    5 years ago

Indeed.

Is there such a thing as 'willful bllndness'?

MrFrost
Professor Expert
7.2  MrFrost  replied to  Greg Jones @7    5 years ago

How many of the last 30 mass shootings in the USA were committed by Muslims? 

Zero. 

Blind indeed. 

epistte
Junior Guide
7.3  epistte  replied to  Greg Jones @7    5 years ago
Islamic terror cells....

soon coming to a neighborhood mosque near you.

We already have alt-right members and militia types.

I'd welcome a middle eastern resturant.  

MrFrost
Professor Expert
9  MrFrost    5 years ago

Jesus needs to come back and kick this guy square in the nuts. 

epistte
Junior Guide
10  epistte    5 years ago
They resist the authority, the legitimate authority, of the state,” Burke said about Muslims. “And so to be opposed to wholesale or large-scale Muslim immigration is, in fact, as far as I’m concerned, the responsible exercise of one’s patriotism.” 

The same could be said about pedophile priests who the Vatican hides to prevents them from being prosecuted.

Where did Jesus mention patriotism?

Steve Ott
Professor Quiet
11  Steve Ott    5 years ago

Islam “by definition believes itself to be destined to rule the world,” Burke said. 

Funny, a lot of evangelical types like to point out that God gave man dominion over the world. Seems to me, many christians believe they are destined to rule the world.

Personally, I would just as soon do without rulers.

As to keeping Muslims out, I thought that was what the crusades were about. Albeit, there were the side fights of murdering Jews and other "rich" christians.