╌>

Record number of undocumented immigrants flooded the southern border in May

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  1stwarrior  •  5 years ago  •  27 comments

Record number of undocumented immigrants flooded the southern border in May
"We are in a full-blown emergency, and I cannot say this stronger: The system is broken," said acting CBP Commissioner John Sanders.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Border Patrol officers encountered more than 144,000 undocumented immigrants at the southwest border in May, the largest monthly total in 13 years, officials said Wednesday.

More than 132,000 were stopped while crossing the border illegally; the rest presented themselves at legal ports of entry, Customs and Border Protection officials said.

May marked the   third month in a row   that more than 100,000 immigrants were taken into custody at the border amid a surge of migrants heading north in large groups from the Northern Triangle countries of Guatemala, Honduras and El Salvador.

More than 19,000 immigrants are currently in CBP custody. Nearly 1,000 border patrol officers have been moved from northern ports of entry, airports, sea ports and elsewhere along the southwest border to assist border agents in areas experiencing the highest influx of migrants.

"We are in a full-blown emergency, and I cannot say this stronger: The system is broken," said acting CBP Commissioner John Sanders.

Of the 132,000 who were caught entering the country illegally, more than 84,000 were traveling as a family unit, 36,000 were single adults and 11,000 were unaccompanied children.

So far this fiscal year, 610,000 immigrants have been apprehended by CBP for illegally crossing between ports of entry. If the current numbers continue, they could surpass 2006 levels, said one official.

The monthly figures were released on the same day that American and Mexican officials are slated to hold high-level talks at the White House to discuss President Donald Trump's threat to impose tariffs on Mexican goods

Trump has vowed to punish Mexico with potentially crippling tariffs unless it does more to to halt Central American migrants from reaching the U.S. southern border.

The president has threatened to apply tariffs of 5 percent on all Mexican goods next week and increase the rate to 25 percent in coming months if Mexico fails to stanch the flow of migrants heading to the U.S.

Several Republican senators   raised objections to Trump's plan   on Tuesday.

But on Wednesday, the president signaled that he wasn't willing to back down.

"Mexico, you know, wants to make a deal," Trump said during a trip to Ireland. "They have their entire delegation right now going over to probably the White House location to negotiate with our people."

"The drugs that are coming in, the people that are coming in unchecked, they’re swamping our border," Trump added. "They're coming up by the millions. Mexico can stop it. They have to stop it. Otherwise, we just won’t be able to do business. It’s a very simple thing."

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
1  seeder  1stwarrior    5 years ago

Border Patrol officers encountered more than 144,000 undocumented immigrants at the southwest border in May, the largest monthly total in 13 years, officials said Wednesday.

More than 132,000 were stopped while crossing the border illegally; the rest presented themselves at legal ports of entry, Customs and Border Protection officials said.

Yeah - we ain't got no problem.  Yeah, there ain't no Illegals trying to cross our borders.  Yeah, Congress is definitely doing their jobs.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1  Texan1211  replied to  1stwarrior @1    5 years ago

I bet people coming here for jobs or to seek asylum often come across illegally.

But you are right--some will say "Nothing to see here. Fake emergency".

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.2  Tessylo  replied to  1stwarrior @1    5 years ago

[deleted]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.3  Texan1211  replied to  1stwarrior @1    5 years ago

Facts apparently bore some folks here.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
1.3.1  seeder  1stwarrior  replied to  Texan1211 @1.3    5 years ago

Probably have problems with the facts anyway.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.3.2  Greg Jones  replied to  Texan1211 @1.3    5 years ago

That's why it's so good to have the ignore feature now.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.3.3  Tessylo  replied to  1stwarrior @1.3.1    5 years ago

'Probably have problems with the facts anyway.'

I just did what you like to do on my articles but mine was removed and yours was not (on my article).

I know how it rolls around here.  

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
1.4  KDMichigan  replied to  1stwarrior @1    5 years ago
More than 132,000 were stopped while crossing the border illegally;

So how Many slipped thru?

Its sad that people are so gullible to believe this is not a problem.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.4.1  Greg Jones  replied to  KDMichigan @1.4    5 years ago

And they claim to really, really care about these immigrants.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
1.4.2  seeder  1stwarrior  replied to  KDMichigan @1.4    5 years ago

As Ed and I, and probably a few others, can vouch, those numbers are truly way below the actual invasion.

Employees of the United States Government including all members of Congress are required to take the following oath before assuming elected or appointed office.

5 U.S.C. 3331:

An individual, except the President, elected or appointed to an office of honor or profit in the civil service or uniformed services shall take the following oath: I, AB, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God.

U.S. Constitution, Article IV, Section 4

The United States shall guarantee to every State in this Union a Republican Form of Government, and shall protect each of them against Invasion; and on Application of the Legislature, or of the Executive (when the Legislature cannot be convened) against domestic Violence.

The mass flow of Illegal Aliens into the U.S. is a strict violation of Article IV, Section 4.  IF these so called Congress people did their Constitutional duties, as stated in their oath of office, the present flow would come to a stop.

lib50
Professor Silent
2  lib50    5 years ago

Seems obvious Trump is a total screw up on immigration.  Everything he does is wrong and  wastes money and resources.  Funny how something that was less a problem than previous years suddenly became a mess when Trump started tweeting his farts.  Goes to show us how a lying, cheating, ignorant showman can pull a con on some people.  Eventually we just assume everything is a lie (good bet) and know this is just another Trump sourced clusterfuck.  Everything he touches turns to shit.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1  Texan1211  replied to  lib50 @2    5 years ago
Funny how something that was less a problem than previous years suddenly became a mess when Trump started tweeting his farts.

So people are coming here in greater numbers now because Trump tweeted?

lib50
Professor Silent
2.1.1  lib50  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1    5 years ago

I didn't say why, but you might be on to something.  I merely accurately noted that whatever the jackass is doing and saying, it is making the problem worse.  Why exactly don't you care?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  lib50 @2.1.1    5 years ago

Oh, I care a great deal about how many people enter and stay in this country illegally, don't you?

It makes zero sense in any world that people would flock to the US because Trump tweeted something or other.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2.1.3  Greg Jones  replied to  lib50 @2.1.1    5 years ago

What are the asshole Democrats doing to alleviate the problem?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.4  Texan1211  replied to  Greg Jones @2.1.3    5 years ago

Well, some stalwart Democrats have decided to make their cities, counties, and states sanctuaries for illegal aliens.

I am almost positive that couldn't have ANYthing to do with more illegal aliens coming, right?

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.1.5  Ozzwald  replied to  Greg Jones @2.1.3    5 years ago
What are the asshole Democrats doing to alleviate the problem?

The "problem" falls under the Executive Branch of the government.  What is Trump doing about it?

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
2.2  Ronin2  replied to  lib50 @2    5 years ago

Trump invited them. Wow, talk about rampant TDDS.

You want to know what is dragging them up here?  Our low unemployment, talk of jobs being unfilled, and our economy.  Three things Barack Obama didn't have, so why would they bother to come during his 8 years- even after he swung the door open? Since his whole deported in chief racket was a complete lie.

'

lib50
Professor Silent
2.2.1  lib50  replied to  Ronin2 @2.2    5 years ago

Again, don't shoot the messenger, just ask yourself why the problem is multiple times WORSE under Trump and his actions.  He must be a royal fuckup. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.2.2  Texan1211  replied to  lib50 @2.2.1    5 years ago
Again, don't shoot the messenger, just ask yourself why the problem is multiple times WORSE under Trump and his actions. He must be a royal fuckup.

Oh, yeah--such a fuckup that people are dying to get here. Could be the lowest unemployment in decades and the chance for a real job.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2.2.3  Greg Jones  replied to  lib50 @2.2.1    5 years ago

Because the left wing traitorous Democrats are encouraging and funding it.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
2.2.4  Ronin2  replied to  lib50 @2.2.1    5 years ago

Yes, if fucking up is creating a booming economy and unemployment so low that companies are constantly searching for new workers. I guess he is a major fuck up.  Obama only wishes he could have fucked up like that.

You are leaving out the left's responsibility in all of this. Sanctuary cities; their refusal to call illegal immigrants anything more than undocumented; their refusal to seal the border- no matter how bad things have gotten; their protesting the conditions illegals are being detained under- after they stayed silent about those very same conditions when Obama was in charge; and their complete denial of anything Trump wants to do- even on the rare occasions it makes sense. The Dems are ringing the dinner bell loud and clear. 

lib50
Professor Silent
2.2.5  lib50  replied to  Ronin2 @2.2.4    5 years ago

Lol, gop has been in charge until a few months ago, they sure are impotent, aren't they?  All this blather and hate talk,  making it worse for the immigrants, treating them and the children like cattle.  Yet the problems get worse.  Obviously fuckwit can't do anything better, he makes everything worse.  Now somehow this becomes the fault of the newly elected minority. Can't the idiot take responsibility for anything like an adult who runs the country, you know, 'the buck stops here'?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.2.6  Tessylo  replied to  lib50 @2.2.5    5 years ago

The only way the buck stops with this 'president' is when it goes into his pockets.